Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Gary & Rhinestone's Thread on Burial and Resurrection of Christ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's use the Gary method of analyzing a Biblical account:

Thesis: Jesus tried to murder Peter.
    1: There was a storm at sea.
    2: Jesus asked Peter to step out of the boat.
    3: Peter nearly died.

Now I know many of you will claim that Jesus was also out on the water and that Jesus reached out his hand and saved Peter's life but the Gospels are unreliable so you'll have to back up your counter arguments with better sources. Yes, I know I used the Gospels as the source for my original claim but remember, we're using the Gary method of argumentation here and that means I get to cherry pick what parts are believable based entirely upon whim. Thanks.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
      Using the gospels to confirm the historical reliability of the gospels.

Na, na, na.
      What other evidence do you got for historicity regarding the crucifixion of Jesus of Nazareth? Quote it.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        What other evidence do you got for historicity regarding the crucifixion of Jesus of Nazareth? Quote it.
        Exactly.
        Either he accepts the record of the trial of Jesus or he doesn't.

If he doesn't his thesis is doomed because there was no trial, no tomb, no inconsistency.
        If he does his thesis is doomed because the account states the Roman court didn't view Jesus as a threat.

No reason to take this discussion beyond his first premise.
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
          You've rejected elements of the trial that show a Roman court didn't view Jesus as a threat.
          You rejected those details by claiming the Gospels are unreliable; therefore, you may no longer use the Gospels as a source.
          To claim they are only reliable in proving Jesus was a threat is cherry-picking.

Do you have any reliable sources for your claims?
          If you don't have any reliable sources you're all done here.
          Sorry, I cannot follow your irrational line of thought.

Comment

• http://paulbarnett.info/2011/04/the-...ontius-pilate/

(Gary: emphasis mine)

I am still waiting for Adrift to list the names of additional NT scholars, other than Craig Evans, who believe that Jesus was NOT crucified for treason.
            Last edited by Gary; 05-14-2016, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
              Do I got?

Comment

http://paulbarnett.info/2011/04/the-...ontius-pilate/

I am still waiting for Adrift to list the names of additional NT scholars, other than Craig Evans, who believe that Jesus was NOT crucified for treason.
                Again, you're employing a strawman. Evans claim is that "It seems most unlikely that Jesus was condemned for 'high treason,' ." Evans is specifically referring to maiestas as described in the Digesta.

How are you not getting this?

Comment

• Gerbz is right. I guess I should have noticed it before, but oh well. You use what you like in the Gospels to try and disprove what you don't Iike in the Gospels.

Way to.go, Gary. You'll never win in a real debate where they actually have rules that everybody must pay attention to, but you manage to entertain yourself.
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    Again, you're employing a strawman. Evans claim is that "It seems most unlikely that Jesus was condemned for 'high treason,' ." Evans is specifically referring to maiestas as described in the Digesta.

How are you not getting this?
                    The fact that your ONE NT scholar wants to claim that Jesus actions did not meet the criteria for treason is irrelevant. The overwhelming majority of NT scholars believe that Jesus was executed for the crime of treason, regardless of whether or not Pilate believed him to be truly guilty of that crime.

Therefore, since Jesus was publically executed for the crime of treason, it would be against Roman protocol to allow his body to be given a proper burial, as stated in the Digesta. Probability says that Jesus was not given a proper burial in some rich man's tomb due to the fact that he was executed for the crime of treason against Caesar himself.

That's what scholarship indicates. Like it or not.
                    Last edited by Gary; 05-15-2016, 02:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                      Gerbz is right. I guess I should have noticed it before, but oh well. You use what you like in the Gospels to try and disprove what you don't Iike in the Gospels.

Way to.go, Gary. You'll never win in a real debate where they actually have rules that everybody must pay attention to, but you manage to entertain yourself.
                      I use one passage in the Bible to prove that another passage in the Bible is highly implausible...which I have just done with the two Gospel claims of Jesus being crucified for the crime of treason and the claim that he was given a proper burial. One...or both...of these claims is most probably false, based on the historical evidence and overwhelming scholarly opinion.

Comment

I use one passage in the Bible to prove that another passage in the Bible is highly implausible...which I have just done with the two Gospel claims of Jesus being crucified for the crime of treason and the claim that he was given a proper burial. One...or both...of these claims is most probably false, based on the historical evidence and overwhelming scholarly opinion.
                        That isn't what you've done at all.
                        You've used one highly redacted, highly cherry picked passage to manufacture an highly implausible scenario.

You claim the Gospels are unreliable.
                        Your case is dependent upon using them as a source.
                        You're all done here.

Comment

Sorry, I cannot follow your irrational line of thought.
                          You follow it.
                          You're just trolling now.

You're done, Gary, your argument fails on the very first premise.

Comment

The fact that your ONE NT scholar wants to claim that Jesus actions did not meet the criteria for treason is irrelevant. The overwhelming majority of NT scholars believe that Jesus was executed for the crime of treason, regardless of whether or not Pilate believed him to be truly guilty of that crime.

Therefore, since Jesus was publically executed for the crime of treason, it would be against Roman protocol to allow his body to be given a proper burial, as stated in the Digesta. Probability says that Jesus was not given a proper burial in some rich man's tomb due to the fact that he was executed for the crime of treason against Caesar himself.

That's what scholarship indicates. Like it or not.
                            We need a source for the claim that Jesus was executed for treason.
                            Until you can establish that fact you've no argument whatsoever.

Do you have a source that you've not already claimed is unreliable?

Comment

http://paulbarnett.info/2011/04/the-...ontius-pilate/

I'm sorry, but we'll need the source documents for the account this scholar is referencing.
                              Do you have a source for "We have no king but Caesar" - a source that you've not already dismissed as unreliable?

Do you think it is okay for Paul Barnett to use unreliable sources in his scholarship?

Comment

• http://www.lutherwasnotbornagain.com...apologist.html

Comment