Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Gary & Rhinestone's Thread on Burial and Resurrection of Christ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Your sources are not unanimous.
    Oh no? Which one besides Mark (and the other evangelists that plagiarize Mark) says that criminals convicted of sedition or treason will be immediately handed over upon request and receive proper burial?

Everything. Absolutely every imagined issue that you bring up in this post has been dealt with thoroughly in the other thread. I'm not retreading all of that here, and I'm not going to dig through it to find you page numbers. You were a member of that thread numerous times. Its your problem if you didn't take the time to read the posts before and after your own. If you really want to know how each of these issues was dealt with then there is a search button at the top of the thread's page. Use it.
    Ok I searched for my first source:

And got these results: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/se...archid=1856801

So far, no one has even acknowledged that these sources even exist. This definitely has not been "dealt with thoroughly in the other thread" as you misleadingly assert. I'm also bringing up new points that I didn't mention in the other thread so obviously that thread can't rebut claims I didn't make.

It isn't.
    It is. Start dealing with the actual arguments and evidence instead of lying.
    Last edited by RhinestoneCowboy; 07-26-2016, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RhinestoneCowboy View Post
      Oh no? Which one besides Mark (and the other evangelists that plagiarize Mark) says that criminals convicted of sedition or treason will be immediately handed over upon request and receive proper burial?
      Josephus for one, Ulpian for another, but again we've dealt with these in the other thread. I'm not covering it again here.

Ok I searched for my first source:

And got these results: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/se...archid=1856801

So far, no one has even acknowledged that these sources even exist. This definitely has not been "dealt with thoroughly in the other thread" as you misleadingly assert. I'm also bringing up new points that I didn't mention in the other thread so obviously that thread can't rebut claims I didn't make.
      You obviously didn't look hard enough. It's dealt with in post #117 and #594. You, personally, brought it up in post #389, and then copy and pasted the same shpiel you've been copy/pasting throughout this forum in post #585 (verbatim), and then mentioned it again in posts #658 and #724.

That's all the help you're getting from me.

It is. Start dealing with the actual arguments and evidence instead of lying.
      It isn't, and we've already dealt with these arguments, thoroughly, in the other thread.
      Last edited by Adrift; 07-26-2016, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
        Shut upppppppppppppp and get off my thread...if you don't like what I'm saying. I'm not jumping into your thread or the thread of any other Christian, so buzz off, jerk.

The fact that you can't stay away from my threads is proof that what I am saying deeply bothers you. If it were the stupid drivel you make it out to be you wouldn't be wasting HOURS of your time on MY threads!
        Sorry, that's not how things work. You can't kick people out of your threads just because you don't like the fact that they're stomping your arguments to pieces, and making you look like you don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

Sorry, that's not how things work. You can't kick people out of your threads just because you don't like the fact that they're stomping your arguments to pieces, and making you look like you don't know what you're talking about.
          He can, actually, but has to do so nicely. He doesn't get a free potshot when booting you out, and he can't subsequently bring you up in the thread and keep you out.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You are a nervous cult member. That is why you can't stay away from MY threads.

Comment

Josephus for one, Ulpian for another, but again we've dealt with these in the other thread. I'm not covering it again here.
              Those don't mention people convicted of sedition/treason were granted clemency. Even if we grant those, my sources vastly outweigh yours.

You obviously didn't look hard enough. It's dealt with in post #117 and #594. You, personally, brought it up in post #389, and then copy and pasted the same shpiel you've been copy/pasting throughout this forum in post #585 (verbatim), and then mentioned it again in posts #658 and #724.

That's all the help you're getting from me.
              That's it?

How can post #117 deal with it if I didn't even post until #389?

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              #117 Paul was trained as a Pharisee under Gamaliel, one of the greatest religious teachers of his period. Pharisees strongly held that the body needed to be properly buried in order to be resurrected at the end times. That's why ossuaries (bone boxes), and stone hewn tombs were so popular in the 1st century (especially in Jerusalem). It was to prevent the body from being destroyed by the elements and wild animals. Allowing one's corpse to be eaten by crows and wild dogs (as Crossan and Ehrman argues) would have been unthinkable. It's why, as Craig Evans explains, the imagery in Jeremiah 7:30-33 would have been so striking as punishment.
              The problem is Jesus was crucified by the Romans and I have 10 sources which state that the bodies were left up to rot, serve as food for scavengers, and forbidden a proper burial. This off topic post does nothing to refute those sources. Moreover, you're still left with the problem of Jesus (a convicted criminal messianic pretender according to the Jews) being buried in Joseph's family tomb contradicting the traditions we find in the Mishnah/Tosefta.

No, there is no way that Paul, trained as a Pharisee, would have thought that a body thrown into a pit with some dirt kicked on top, and exposed to packs of wild dogs, was anything like burial.
              Since Paul doesn't give any details about the burial then it's disingenuous to assert what Paul knew or "thought" about it. He certainly shows no knowledge of an empty tomb. The overwhelming attestation of the sources say that crucifixion victims were dishonorably buried if buried at all.

#594 does not actually "deal" with any of the sources and I responded in #612.

It isn't, and we've already dealt with these arguments, thoroughly, in the other thread.
              By now it's quite clear that's not the case. Care to give it an honest shot?
              Last edited by RhinestoneCowboy; 07-26-2016, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                He can, actually, but has to do so nicely. He doesn't get a free potshot when booting you out, and he can't subsequently bring you up in the thread and keep you out.
                Really? I didn't know that.

I kindly request that Adrift cease and desist from commenting on my threads. I will happily refrain from ever mentioning his name again.

Is that good enough?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
                  Really? I didn't know that.

I kindly request that Adrift cease and desist from commenting on my threads. I will happily refrain from ever mentioning his name again.

Is that good enough?
                  You can't do a blanket ban. It has to be done in individual threads.
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You can't do a blanket ban. It has to be done in individual threads.
                    Ok. I request that Adrift immediately cease and desist from commenting on this thread.

Comment

• Coward.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Coward.
                        Sticks and stones...

Comment

By now it's quite clear that's not the case. Care to give it an honest shot?
                          On the contrary, it is quite clear. It is also quite clear that you will promptly ignore what is posted and keep pushing your own fringe views as if they already haven't been rebutted ad nausaeum, here and everywhere else you plop your droppings.
                          sigpic

Comment

On the contrary, it is quite clear. It is also quite clear that you will promptly ignore what is posted and keep pushing your own fringe views as if they already haven't been rebutted ad nausaeum, here and everywhere else you plop your droppings.
                            More unsubstantiated nonsense. Show me exactly where the refutation is! Because right now you guys keep getting caught in lies and it's pretty embarrassing.

Comment

• FYI: I haven't banned Adrift from this thread because he is currently engaged in an ON TOPIC conversation with RC. If however, he reverts to his usual MO of personal attacks, I will ask him to leave as I have done on two other TW threads.

Comment

More unsubstantiated nonsense. Show me exactly where the refutation is! Because right now you guys keep getting caught in lies and it's pretty embarrassing.
                                Your unsubstantiated assertion is duly noted.
                                sigpic

Comment