Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Gary & Rhinestone's Thread on Burial and Resurrection of Christ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
    Yes, it is unfortunate. Adrift and I just cannot have a civil conversation that lasts more than a couple of exchanges.

Bottom line: Skeptics like myself cannot prove that Jesus was not buried in a rock mausoleum provided by a member of the very group that so desperately wanted to snuff him out. But I believe that I and others skeptics on this thread have done a reasonable job in providing a case that it is very possible that he was not; that he was buried in a dirt trench as was the custom of the time.

Without the Empty Tomb, the evidence for the Resurrection belief comes down to claims of seeing a dead man (a brain-dead, dead man) alive again. We skeptics believe that such a phenomenon only occurs in the world of science fiction. Possible, yes. Probable, absolutely not. Believers in the supernatural believe such a phenomenon is very possible. The question I ask everyone to consider is this: Based on collective human experience, which explanation for the Resurrection belief is more probable:

-A never heard of before or since supernatural event really did happen

or

-Jesus' emotionally devastated family friends saw what they wanted to see: their loved one alive again.

You decide.
    I mean...I'm pretty sure he's decided..

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Hey Gary, does spittle run down your chin when you type this?
      Very intelligent, mature comment, especially for someone who is moderating the discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        We have records of the Jews disputing the gospels much later than the second century. None of those were eyewitnesses. But you seem to be implying that the Jewish enemies of the church did not pass on where Jesus actually was buried. It only took 40-some years for the Jews to accept that a crucified man was (or at least, could be) buried by a member of the Sanhedrin in his own personal grave. Huh. That seems to be a better argument for its reality than its denial.
        Do you have proof that the majority of Jews then or ever have accepted the Christian claim that a member of the Sanhedrin buried Jesus in his expensive personal tomb?
        Last edited by Gary; 07-21-2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
          We do have some idea:

Luke 8:2-3 ESV
          [2] and also some women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out, [3] and Joanna, the wife of Chuza, Herod's household manager, and Susanna, and many others, who provided for them out of their means.

Joanna would have been wealthy (can't comment on Susanna but the fact that she is mentioned by name with no other qualification would indicate she was well known)

Luke again mentions Joanna as being one of the women who went to the tomb to find it empty:
          Luke 24:10 ESV
          [10] Now it was Mary Magdalene and Joanna and Mary the mother of James and the other women with them who told these things to the apostles,

ETA: Additionally it can be concluded that Lazarus, Martha and Mary were quite wealthy given that Mary was able to purchase perfume and ointment that costs the average of a years wages

So the anonymous story tellers say...

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            No, I'm not using an illogical fallacy by asserting that a commonly held belief does not defy common sense.

That's not exactly the definition of common sense I had in mind. The definition of common sense I had in mind was:

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_sense

Common sense is a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things, which is shared by ("common to") nearly all people and can reasonably be expected of nearly all people without any need for debate.

© Copyright Original Source

But in either case, there is absolutely nothing about the idea of Joseph of Arimathea burying Jesus in his tomb that defies common sense. Again, to the contrary, nearly a third of the humans on this planet believe it.
            In using this definition, you need to define "all people". If you are trying to claim that all Jews, Muslims, and Hindus in the world believe this Christian claim to be common-sensical, I'd like to see the evidence.

Comment

So the anonymous story tellers say...

You sound like a broken record Gary.
              Last edited by Raphael; 07-21-2016, 07:26 PM.
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Very intelligent, mature comment, especially for someone who is moderating the discussion.
                You just seem so full of hate.

And... moderating this discussion?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Do you have proof that the majority of Jews then or ever have accepted the Christian claim that a member of the Sanhedrin buried Jesus in his expensive personal tomb?
                  Early Jewish polemics suggested that Jesus' body had been stolen by the disciples.

Comment

• Originally posted by psstein View Post
                    Early Jewish polemics suggested that Jesus' body had been stolen by the disciples.
                    Yeah, don't forget the swoon theory, too.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You just seem so full of hate.

And... moderating this discussion?
                      I don't hate people, but I do hate deadly, discrimination-inciting, fear-based superstitions.

Comment

I don't hate people, but I do hate deadly, discrimination-inciting, fear-based superstitions.
                        Sure, Gary. Sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by psstein View Post
                          Is there any evidence in early Jewish writings that the Jews believed in the historicity of the Christian claim that a member of the Sanhedrin, Joseph of Arimathea, provided a rock tomb to bury Jesus? If so, would you kindly give me a reference? I would like to read about that.

Comment

Sure, Gary. Sure.
                            Come to my town sometime, and I'll take you out for a beer. I don't hate Christians, not even fundamentalist Christians.

Comment

Is there any evidence in early Jewish writings that the Jews believed in the historicity of the Christian claim that a member of the Sanhedrin, Joseph of Arimathea, provided a rock tomb to bury Jesus? If so, would you kindly give me a reference? I would like to read about that.
                              Define "early." The Toledot Yeshu, which is probably from the 4th century, states that Jesus was buried and his body stolen by the gardener.

Comment

There are a number of things wrong with this sentence. First, I don't know anyone who has ever argued that the "majority of Jews then" had even heard of the Christian faith. So, that's neither here nor there. Second, there's little in the way of "proof" concerning anything when it comes to reconstructing ancient history. Instead we rely on evidence not "proof".

So really, your question should be framed, "Do you have evidence that the Jewish enemies of Christianity then or ever have accepted the Christian claim that a member of the Sanhedrin buried Jesus in his expensive personal tomb?"

Now, as far as "then" is concerned, the answer is, yes, I do. Not much, but a little. I have four early 1st century sources that report an event which the early Jewish enemies must have been aware of, and I have Jewish arguments against the missing body, and the resurrection, but none of them happen to have anything to do with the inconceivability that Jesus was buried in Arimathea's grave. As far as "ever" is concerned, I don't think it's really that controversial among Jews throughout history that Jesus was buried in Arimathea's grave. The controversy seems to largely be that he was raised at all.

Comment