Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Evidence Skeptics would like to see for the Resurrection Claim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    First off gods do not exist. There is only one.
    So you've made one exception to your atheism, I see no good reason to do so.

Do you deny that an uncaused self existent exstence exists? You obviously do not recognize "it" as God.
    The texts I believe to be God's word are not myth.
    They have the characteristics of mythology, i.e. invoking a god (or gods) in a pre-scientific attempt to explain otherwise inexplicable events.

Give me one historical fact that can be proved. And we can start there.
    Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    Yes, I miss typed 5:8 for 5:18. At issue is that the Apostle wrote it. As holy scripture of course he did. So Luke's gospel was regarded as holy scripture being cited by the Apostle.
    It's conceded by virtually ALL biblical scholars that 1 Timothy is pseudographical and dated at c. 90 CE.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post

And this brings up another very important assumption in the Christian belief system: There is ZERO evidence that Jesus, the Eleven, or Paul left any instructions for which writings should be included in the New Testament. (And please don't quote the forgery of Second Peter.) The Christian New Testament is a collection of writings approved by the early catholic Church, not by Jesus or any apostle. To claim that it is the "Word of God" is unprovable, to say the least.

But that is a topic for another thread...

Comment

• Silence.

It seems Christians have accepted the evidence presented by NT scholar Bart Ehrman that it would have been VERY out of character for Pilate to have released the body of a man executed for high treason to his family...or to anyone else...for proper burial. And there is zero solid evidence that Roman rulers of Palestine, during the life of Jesus, released the bodies of criminals executed for treason to their families.

The claim by Christians that historical evidence supports the gospels' story that Pilate allowed a member of the Sanhedrin to give Jesus, the self-proclaimed, "King of the Jews", and thus, treasonous traitor to Caesar, a proper burial, is proven completely unsubstantiated and contrary to the historical evidence.

The evidence, and scholarship, points to the overwhelming probability that Jesus' body was left on the cross for days to be picked apart by scavengers as a horrific warning to any other potential "King of the Jews" pretender...and then what was left of him was unceremoniously tossed into an unmarked hole in the ground...and the location soon forgotten.
        Last edited by Gary; 05-10-2016, 11:10 PM.

Comment

It seems Christians have accepted the evidence presented by NT scholar Bart Ehrman that it would have been VERY out of character for Pilate to have released the body of a man executed for high treason to his family...or to anyone else...for proper burial. And there is zero solid evidence that Roman rulers of Palestine, during the life of Jesus, released the bodies of criminals executed for treason to their families.
          I think the text of the New Testament makes it clear that Pilate was placed in difficult circumstances when it came to Jesus.
          He was being asked to carry out an execution in response to the alleged violation of religious law even though Jesus was apparently not guilty of breaking any civil law.
          The text makes it clear that Pilate thought Jesus was about as guilty of treason as Mary Magdalene.

Originally posted by Gary View Post
          The evidence, and scholarship, points to the overwhelming probability that Jesus' body was left on the cross for days to be picked apart by scavengers as a horrific warning to any other potential "King of the Jews" pretender...and then what was left of him was unceremoniously tossed into an unmarked hole in the ground...and the location soon forgotten.
          Crucifixion victim found buried in a tomb and in an ossuary:
          See:http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/d...ixion-methods/

The name of the victim was on the ossuary which really is all the evidence I need to send you are your broad, overreaching claims packing.
          Given that Pilate didn't think Jesus was guilty of anything other than being popular and well dressed I think the claims of the NT are well within the realm of reasonable as they touch upon the disposal of Christ's body.
          Last edited by Meh Gerbil; 05-11-2016, 08:28 AM.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post

The name of the victim was on the ossuary which really is all the evidence I need to send you are your broad, overreaching claims packing.
            Given that Pilate didn't think Jesus was guilty of anything other than being popular and well dressed I think the claims of the NT are well within the realm of reasonable as they touch upon the disposal of Christ's body.
            Psst... post #131.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              Psst... post #131.
              As long as you're on the case I don't need to worry.
              Question: How often will this need to be repeated for the ridiculous claims to stop?
              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Question: How often will this need to be repeated for the ridiculous claims to stop?
                This must be your first run in with Gary. He doesn't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  This must be your first run in with Gary. He doesn't let facts get in the way of a good rant.
                  I like him better already.

Comment

I think the text of the New Testament makes it clear that Pilate was placed in difficult circumstances when it came to Jesus.
                    He was being asked to carry out an execution in response to the alleged violation of religious law even though Jesus was apparently not guilty of breaking any civil law.
                    The text makes it clear that Pilate thought Jesus was about as guilty of treason as Mary Magdalene.

One ossurary does not a pattern of behavior make.

Could Pilate have made a rare exception for Jesus? Sure! But it would have been a RARE exception. The evidence indicates this was not Pilate's pattern of behavior nor that other rulers in Palestine at the time. Therefore probability indicates that the Arimathea tomb stories in the Gospels are most likely legends or blatant embellishments by the authors.

The point of all this is: The evidence shows that it was NOT the custom of Roman rulers in Palestine to release the bodies of persons crucified to their families or anyone else as many conservative Christians such as Nick and Stein claim.

Comment

Silence.
                      It seems Christians have accepted the evidence presented...
                      Or b) people have lives, and aren't hanging on your every word; there is no burning need to respond right away to your posts
                      c) people get bored of repeating themselves; this has all been addressed more than once

Bart Ehrman's area of expertise is textual criticism, not historiography.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• One very interesting thing I noticed while reading up on Roman burial habits for persons crucified is this: It is odd to me how much both Philo and Josephus talked about Pontius Pilate...without ever mentioning the alleged earthshattering events involving Jesus that allegedly Pilate had to deal with.

It is as if...these events never happened...

Comment

Until you guys accept that the evidence shows that Jesus was most likely not buried in a tomb but in an unmarked hole in the ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Or b) people have lives, and aren't hanging on your every word; there is no burning need to respond right away to your posts
                            c) people get bored of repeating themselves; this has all been addressed more than once

Bart Ehrman's area of expertise is textual criticism, not historiography.
                            What a joke. So since New Testament scholar Ehrman's expertise is textual criticism, he is not an authority on other issues related to the New Testament.

Silly and ignorant.

Comment

Silence.

It seems Christians have accepted the evidence presented...
                              Get over yourself Gary, and get a life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                                Get over yourself Gary, and get a life.
                                My life is dedicated to debunking one of the most deadly superstitions known to mankind: conservative/fundamentalist Christianity.

Comment