Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why I'm not an atheist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    He still might. I didn't become a Christian until I was almost 40 years old.

Do you WANT to believe in God? Or do you want to believe there is no God?

Not asking what you DO believe about God, but what you want to believe? Do you think the universe is better with a God or without?
    I think what you've presented is a pretty common false dichotomy. The reality is that I don't have a 'want' either way. Frankly, I think people who want are going to find whatever they're 'seeking', but I've put that term in scare quotes on purpose. They're seeking reasons to believe what they want in the guise of seeking truth. I can think of one person on this board in particular that I'm relatively sure this describes.

I would like to know the truth. If that means God exists, so be it. If it means God doesn't exist, that's fine, too. Likewise, I think the universe is. I don't think the existence of a god (or gods) changes what it is at all. Finding out about its/their existence changes my understanding of what is. It's not a matter of 'it would be better if', in my opinion.

Let me point out that there are lots of ideas about what god(s) might exist. Nothing says it's a good one, or one that cares about humanity at all. Nothing says it's an evil one that glories in our destruction, either. The questions don't stop at 'is there a god?", but they at least take a huge step in the right direction.

You ever turn onto a road where you don't really know if you're supposed to go right or left? You make a best guess and go with it, and you keep driving until you decide you're wrong or find something that tells you you're wrong. I've made a best guess. I'd like to find out if I'm headed the wrong way sooner rather than later, but so far I haven't seen a sign.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      I think what you've presented is a pretty common false dichotomy. The reality is that I don't have a 'want' either way. Frankly, I think people who want are going to find whatever they're 'seeking', but I've put that term in scare quotes on purpose. They're seeking reasons to believe what they want in the guise of seeking truth. I can think of one person on this board in particular that I'm relatively sure this describes.

I would like to know the truth. If that means God exists, so be it. If it means God doesn't exist, that's fine, too. Likewise, I think the universe is. I don't think the existence of a god (or gods) changes what it is at all. Finding out about its/their existence changes my understanding of what is. It's not a matter of 'it would be better if', in my opinion.

Let me point out that there are lots of ideas about what god(s) might exist. Nothing says it's a good one, or one that cares about humanity at all. Nothing says it's an evil one that glories in our destruction, either. The questions don't stop at 'is there a god?", but they at least take a huge step in the right direction.

You ever turn onto a road where you don't really know if you're supposed to go right or left? You make a best guess and go with it, and you keep driving until you decide you're wrong or find something that tells you you're wrong. I've made a best guess. I'd like to find out if I'm headed the wrong way sooner rather than later, but so far I haven't seen a sign.
      I understand what you are saying, and I think you are open to there being a God. That is good. There are actually people who hate the idea of religion and God completely and do not want there to be a God. I would put Richard Dawkins in that category, and here on tweb, probably FirstFloor and Tassman. I think if God ever did show himself to them, they would spit in his face.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        Really? You don't find His judgments in the Old and New Testaments troubling? I do however think it is his Holiness or moral purity (not His grace) that would be the problem. Like I said in the other thread when I encountered God (as I believe I did) it was both dreadful and wonderful. Then there is the whole pride thing - i.e. no gods no masters - I believe that runs deeper in our nature than we realize. That is why often a man must come to an end of himself, or really be up against it, before he is humbled enough to open the door.
        Again, if God is anything like is claimed, I don't think there's a problem. If my dwarf friend can come to terms with the fact that she wouldn't have survived infancy if OT laws were still kept, the rest of us can probably figure out a way to deal with anything we don't particularly like or understand. "I don't have to understand it" is a useful mantra.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Again, if God is anything like is claimed, I don't think there's a problem. If my dwarf friend can come to terms with the fact that she wouldn't have survived infancy if OT laws were still kept, the rest of us can probably figure out a way to deal with anything we don't particularly like or understand. "I don't have to understand it" is a useful mantra.
          OK, perhaps you are on your way then...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I understand what you are saying, and I think you are open to there being a God. That is good. There are actually people who hate the idea of religion and God completely and do not want there to be a God. I would put Richard Dawkins in that category, and here on tweb, probably FirstFloor and Tassman. I think if God ever did show himself to them, they would spit in his face.
            You might be right. I actually think that the idea of religion is often conflated with the idea of God. The religion seems to be the actual source of hate. Understandably so, in some cases. There have been a lot of bad things that came out of religions. I just find the common denominator to be 'humans' not 'religion'.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

You might be right. I actually think that the idea of religion is often conflated with the idea of God. The religion seems to be the actual source of hate. Understandably so, in some cases. There have been a lot of bad things that came out of religions. I just find the common denominator to be 'humans' not 'religion'.
              yup. Even though I know Christianity is the only true religion I know there a a lot of people that abuse it and give it a bad name. Christianity is about Christ, not about his followers, but the world sees the followers and sometimes they cringe. As do I.

Comment