Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Greg Laurie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    There are lesser degrees of shaming a Christian other than saying "you aren't a Christian if you disagree with me." Even the worst of the anti-evos, like Ray Comfort, don't say that. That's why it's so pernicious.

It's a more subtle shaming than the cartoonish way you expressed it. No one really says that.
    I thought you've read some of Jorge's posts.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I thought you've read some of Jorge's posts.

Comment

Do you know where groundwater comes from?
        There is a flood view of geology that holds there was large amounts of water in the pre-flood earth's crust.

The water cycle starts with rain, so it's almost as absurd to disbelieve in pre-anthropic weather as it is to disbelieve in pre-anthropic precipitation.
        OK.
        Are you YEC?
        No.
        From being a new Christian my view would be best described as OEC. In about 1968 I was persuaded to hold a globle flood view, which I have held for about 47 years. YEC influence. Yet I find find YEC on the whole untenable.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          There is a flood view of geology that holds there was large amounts of water in the pre-flood earth's crust.
          Is that your view?

From being a new Christian my view would be best described as OEC. In about 1968 I was persuaded to hold a globle flood view, which I have held for about 47 years. YEC influence. Yet I find find YEC on the whole untenable.
          So you believe the whole world was once covered in water as high as Mt. Everest?

Comment

Is that your view?
            It has been. How do I prove that was never true?
            So you believe the whole world was once covered in water as high as Mt. Everest?
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

It has been. How do I prove that was never true?
              Read about aquifer geology.

Not my view. But it is commonly believed 400 million years ago what is now its top was underwater.
              Mt. Everest is about 70 million years old, so it's not commonly believed that its peak was underwater hundreds of millions of years ago.

Comment

Mt. Everest is about 70 million years old, so it's not commonly believed that its peak was underwater hundreds of millions of years ago.
                http://climbing.about.com/od/Mount-E...nt-Everest.htm

And it is claimed the fossils found are from 400 million years ago. In any case, what was underwater is now found on top of that mountain.

Comment

http://climbing.about.com/od/Mount-E...nt-Everest.htm

And it is claimed the fossils found are from 400 million years ago. In any case, what was underwater is now found on top of that mountain.
                  Yes, what is now the peak of Everest was once a seafloor. But I wanted to know if you believed a global flood occured that covered the earth's tallest peaks.

Comment

Yes, what is now the peak of Everest was once a seafloor. But I wanted to know if you believed a global flood occured that covered the earth's tallest peaks.
                    When holding the global flood view, as part of that view, mountains as we now know them did not yet exist. Many Christians hold the flood was universal, not global.

Comment

When holding the global flood view, as part of that view, mountains as we now know them did not yet exist. Many Christians hold the flood was universal, not global.
                      Yes, it's often overlooked that the flood was an intense period of geological activity, not just a releasing of waters. Still, the evidence for that upheaval does not exist. The geology we see is best explained by short bursts of intense activity (landslides, volcanism, earthquakes) combined with long periods of erosion and tectonic movement. It's best to accept the best explanation, not ones fashioned by men to accord with their particular religious belief system.

Comment

Is that your view?
                        Not such a ridiculous view. http://www.livescience.com/1312-huge...red-earth.html

Comment

Yes, it's often overlooked that the flood was an intense period of geological activity, not just a releasing of waters. Still, the evidence for that upheaval does not exist. The geology we see is best explained by short bursts of intense activity (landslides, volcanism, earthquakes) combined with long periods of erosion and tectonic movement. It's best to accept the best explanation, not ones fashioned by men to accord with their particular religious belief system.
                          Yes. Supposing that this would rule out that universal flood, it not really needing to have been global to really have taken place, even as some have interpreted to it be global.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            The ridiculousness of the view isn't that subsurface water exists but that it a) antedated precipitation and b) flooded the entire earth at least to the depth of the planet's tallest peaks.

ETA: much more has been discovered about subsurface water since 2007. You'll discover it's not in an oceanic state but rather locked up in rocks.
                            Last edited by whag; 02-26-2016, 11:13 AM.

Comment

The ridiculousness of the view isn't that subsurface water exists but that it a) antedated precipitation and b) flooded the entire earth at least to the depth of the planet's tallest peaks.

ETA: much more has been discovered about subsurface water since 2007. You'll discover it's not in an oceanic state but rather locked up in rocks.
                              And your problem is you are forgetting that God is all powerful and can do whatever the heck he likes. Objecting to miracles because they don't fit with your conception of physics is pretty ridiculous in itself.

Comment

I don't recall that that is what Whag said.
                                Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment