Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Did anyone expect this bombshell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Biblewheel gave up. I think he even lost his faith.
    Lost his faith, and eventually debunked his own work.

Maybe our resident wanna-be messiah "Geert"/sylvius/kofh2u will show up. He's always good for giving numbers a spin.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Why do these guys think there is a code in the Bible!!! Why...just, why...
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

If you count the number of loaves of bread in the bible*, add in the number of times fish are mentioned, divided by the number of books in the old testament, then take the square-root of the number of letters in all of God's names in the bible and multiply THAT by 777 you get the name "Jesus" in Morse code. It's true!

*It only works in the King James Bible, because that is the Bible Jesus used.

Comment

I do not mean to put you down. There is a reason why no major scholar takes this seriously.
          Metacrock's Blog

The Religious a priori: apologetics for 21st ccentury

The Trace of God by Joseph Hinman

Comment

Originally posted by sparko View Post
            if you count the number of loaves of bread in the bible*, add in the number of times fish are mentioned, divided by the number of books in the old testament, then take the square-root of the number of letters in all of god's names in the bible and multiply that by 777 you get the name "jesus" in morse code. It's true!

*it only works in the king james bible, because that is the bible jesus used.
            \
            rotflol ;-)
            Metacrock's Blog

The Religious a priori: apologetics for 21st ccentury

The Trace of God by Joseph Hinman

Comment

Originally posted by metacrock View Post
              I do not mean to put you down. There is a reason why no major scholar takes this seriously.
              Is this metacrock from CARM?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Might as well add my two cents to this, point by point. I'm unclear as to the validity of the rules of the mathematical analysis.

Originally posted by Vertetuesi View Post
                (1) Nobody can doubt that the Bible explicitly ascribes theological significance to certain numbers; of which 7 is the chief, by common consent.
                True enough.

(2) For a whole range of reasons which I describe, 8 is associated with Jesus.
                This idea is new to me. The only numbers I have seen that have had special significance (even minor) in the Bible are 6, 7, 10, 12, 40, 666, 1000, 144000. (Or sometimes products of these)

(3) Therefore since, according to the NT, Jesus is God incarnate, one expects both 7 and 8 to be associated with him in contrast to all other numbers.
                Again, I would ascribe greater significance to the combination of 7 (heavenly completeness) & 10 (earthly completeness) over 7 & 8.

(4) If there is anything at all in the idea of 'covert' Biblical numerics, it should reveal itself at the simplest level possible; if not, there is no point in expecting it at any more abstruse level.
                Not sure about that. Revelation seems pretty abstruse; otherwise there wouldn't be so many interpretations of it.

(5) Pretty much the simplest statistic that can be imagined re. a text, is the number of letters in it. (Well, maybe the number of words, but for the present inquiry that would be tricky as the phrases are biased to being shorter than 7 words long.)
                (6) Therefore, I undertook to go through the entire Greek NT, selecting every phrase and clause describing Jesus' unique identity and attributes (as determined by explicit NT teaching), and testing the letter counts of the resulting data set for divisibility by 7 or 8.
                Why use the NT. Other than the 4 gospels and Acts, it's mostly a collection of letters that were copied and passed around the various churches that are teachings about how to live your life. If I was going to look for code in the Bible, I would start with the OT, Pentateuch, like the Bible code theorists use. And then you have to use the original language.

(7) The probability that a random number is divisible by 7 or by 8 (or both) is 15/56 or about 0.267.
                (8) The total number of theologically qualifying word strings I found on initial investigation was 783. Of them, 449 were db7 or db8.
                (9) The expected number of 'numerically' qualifying word strings is about 210.
                You basically found twice the expected number of strings that fit your criteria. That doesn't seem especially significant to me. What does theologically qualifying mean? It sounds like a way to whittle down the choices into a preferred outcome.

(10) For this binomially-distributed random variable (re. divisibility or not), the chance of getting at least 449 qualifying strings out of 783 turns out to be 1.24 x 10^-71.
                Something is mathematically wrong with this calculation. I'm not sure how you came to this, but I suspect you did not divide by all the possible patterns, because it's a fairly complicated statistical variance formula that is required.

Grab a random book online and run the same statistics. Check the distribution of all 10 digits and see how many have one or two numbers that come out way ahead by the end of the book. In the end, I don't see anything earth-shattering from the thesis here.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  Why do these guys think there is a code in the Bible!!! Why...just, why...
                  They look for a way around the clear message of what the words say.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Is this metacrock from CARM?
                    Yes, he has referenced dialogues with Jichard there.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
                      I like math.

I don't like Biblical numerics. It's one thing to ponder the significance of numbers like 7 and 40 in the Bible. It's another to find numeric patterns. You can always find numeric pattern oddities in any text.

This has to be one of the most ridiculously obtuse ones I've seen. Now, I'm sure you put a lot of work into this. I don't like to sound dismissive of such a math effort. But you've found a strange, time-consuming hobby that provides no conclusions.
                      I want to see this tested on the Harry Potter books. They are so full of meaning, that maybe they would yield significant numerical patterns. And after that, I would like a numerical analysis of the 15 Wheel of Time books.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
                        I want to see this tested on the Harry Potter books. They are so full of meaning, that maybe they would yield significant numerical patterns. And after that, I would like a numerical analysis of the 15 Wheel of Time books.
                        The Bible Code method has found stuff in all sorts of works.

I re-read the whole WoT series before reading the final book. I noticed a distinct drop in quality when Brandon Sanderson took over; his character dialogue was awful. The last book was a massive disappointment.
                        sigpic

Comment

Please dear God no.
                          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                            Please dear God no.
                            Let me break that post down:

Pleas edear godno

5 letters and one space in each grouping

5+1=6

What Gerbil said was

If there were ever a clear reason to remove him from the forum its this.
                            The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
                              If there were ever a clear reason to remove him from the forum its this.
                              If there's anything worse than Trout trying to count, it's his rampant abuse of apostrophes.

Comment

I think it is ridicul6ous to look fo6r coded message6s in Scripture.
                                Because HAIL LORD SATAN it is impossible to refute KILL YOURSELF and anything that doesn't fit KILL YOUR PARENTS pattern is ignored.
                                Hopefully people USE THE TERM [BUTT] ON TWEB will see this as foolish and VOTE HILLARY move on.
                                Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment