Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is the Ascension Story an Embellishment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

robrecht by far is the most patient and Christ-like of Gary's responders. Most Christians here could learn a thing or two about his approach.

Some Christians seem to forget what it's like to be a skeptic and how to summon the grace to respond to a skeptic's attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
      robrecht by far is the most patient and Christ-like of Gary's responders. Most Christians here could learn a thing or two about his approach.

Some Christians seem to forget what it's like to be a skeptic and how to summon the grace to respond to a skeptic's attacks.
      Robrecht is indeed quite patient. I am, however, ...skeptical of your grasp of "Christ-like."
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        I think you have merely proven that ancients did not have a modern scientific understanding of the universe.
        No, it proves the "Author" of your holy book doesn't know what he's talking about...or that he doesn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
          No, it proves the "Author" of your holy book doesn't know what he's talking about...or that he doesn't exist.
          The Bible was written by men.
          אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Robrecht is indeed quite patient. I am, however, ...skeptical of your grasp of "Christ-like."
            Not sure what you mean by that other than "only Christians know what Christ-like means." I take it to mean showing clear restraint, something only robrecht and a few other Christians here seem to have mastered. Kings Gambit comes to mind.

Comment

No, it doesn't prove anything. You should take it down a notch and appreciate when you have a civil opponent. Show robrecht the same respect he's showing you.

Comment

Well, naked apes.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  I am, however, ...skeptical of your grasp of "Christ-like."
                  Yeah, what he means is that he prefers those Christians who don't get too uppity. He also gets a sick kick out of sewing discord among Christians as we've seen time and again. Ain't no one buying what he's selling though.

Comment

It is one thing to claim that your dead friend appeared to you, or even appeared to you and a group of friends. It is quite another to claim that your dead friend appeared to you and a group of friends and then levitated/ascended into a cloud! Yet this is the claim that Christians make regarding Jesus. After coming back from the dead, walking out of a sealed tomb, in a heavenly/supernatural body, Christians allege that Jesus rose from the earth, in front of multiple witnesses, and disappeared behind a cloud. Here is the source of this story:

Gospel of Luke:

Then he led them out as far as Bethany, and lifting up his hands he blessed them. 51 While he blessed them, he parted from them and was carried up into heaven. 52 And they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy, 53 and were continually in the temple blessing God.

Book of Acts:from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day's journey away.

Analysis:
                    You could've said this with half the words and without the snark. Now you're only audience is the very patient robrecht, and you're on the cusp of losing his attention, too. Show a little bit of humility, and you might have a pretty decent conversation about your skepticism of these biblical events.

Comment

Well, naked apes.
                      I think they were clothed by that point.

Comment

Exactly!

It is not a book "authored" by a god. It is a book written by fallible, ancient, superstitious, scientifically ignorant people trying to make sense of their dangerous, scary world. It is a fascinating collection of stories but modern, educated people should not assume that everything stated in these stories is historically correct nor should they assume that the supernatural claims in those stories are any more real than the supernatural claims in ancient Greek, Roman, Persian, or Mayan stories.

Comment

I appreciate the kind words, I really do, but let's not make this about me.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                            Yeah, what he means is that he prefers those Christians who don't get too uppity. He also gets a sick kick out of sewing discord among Christians as we've seen time and again.
                            I didn't sew discord between you and Dee Dee. Christians choose to air their grievances with each other in public without embarasment. I get more of a sick kick from watching horror cinema and listening to death metal. My paltry .5 posts a day isn't the pleasure delivery system you'd like to think it is.

Comment

I appreciate the kind words, I really do, but let's not make this about me.
                              You are being very polite, Robrecht, so I will tone it down a notch. However, after dealing with Nick, JP Holding, Adrift, BookWorm, and others for awhile you develop a tone...similar to theirs.

Comment

You are being very polite, Robrecht, so I will tone it down a notch. However, after dealing with Nick, JP Holding, Adrift, BookWorm, and others you develop a tone...similar to theirs.
                                The tone of the Internet can be improved upon, perhaps.

Comment