Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does God have an individual plan for everyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Originally posted by dacristoy View Post
    So you see the creation of time, the heavens and the earth, the Angels, man, and the past, present and the future as one simultaneous act. This denies the existence of Angels before the creation of the heavens and the earth.

What quote are you asking about...?

Time is synonymous with the existence of God himself... It exists because God exists... In the beginning refers to the work of creating the heavens and the earth and everything therein…
    If creation included the future, you are denying any freewill including that of Satan and The Angels of God...
    I have decided that you have your point of view and I have mine and neither one of us will change the other. Since I do not find this conversation edifying, I am done with it.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    It refers to the absolute beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth. Were the angels created at this time also?
    Yes, as they are created beings. "Heavens and earth" is a merism, which encompasses the totality of the created world, in other words, the universe. Space and time are intrinsically linked from what I understand. Since only God is eternal, and all other beings are temporal, they would have been created some time during creation week.

Oh, and btw, I am not a Calvinist. From what I understand, I'm somewhere between Molinism and Arminianism, but I'm not dogmatic about it.

Leave a comment:

• dacristoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    I did say in a report that this may need to be split off at some point. I'll leave that to the mods in charge of this area.
    I would say that it is all relevant to whether God has, as a part of creation, created an inescapable plan/destiny for all men, and to whether God divinely enforces that plan. Still the Mods are the authority in this matter..
    Last edited by dacristoy; 06-24-2015, 11:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dacristoy
    replied
    From what I understand the Hebrew translated as "in the beginning" represents an absolute beginning, not just the beginning of "creation". This would point to a beginning of time itself.

Source: CMI

The first Hebrew word in Genesis 1:1 is bereshith; it occurs without the article and so is a proper noun, .

© Copyright Original Source

Source.

You may not agree with them when the beginning was, but they seem to have it right about what "the beginning" means in Genesis 1.
    It refers to the absolute beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth. Were the angels created at this time also?

Leave a comment:

• dacristoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Actually this is one of the few places where Creationists and Evolutionists agree: time has a beginning and the moment time started is the moment creation begins. There is no existence of time outside of creation. Where is your quote from?
    Actually this is one of the few places where Creationists and Evolutionists agree: time has a beginning and the moment time started is the moment creation begins. There is no existence of time outside of creation. Where is your quote from?

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    And ! Wonder if some people think it was God's plan for that to happen? Maybe we don't need to talk about it! Then again, why would He even mind us talking about Him on the internet?
    I did say in a report that this may need to be split off at some point. I'll leave that to the mods in charge of this area.

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    And ! Wonder if some people think it was God's plan for that to happen? Maybe we don't need to talk about it! Then again, why would He even mind us talking about Him on the internet?

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Do you believe that the phrase points us to an existence absent of time, or does is more accurately point to a point in time... In the beginning does not refer to a beginning of time, but more accurately points to a point of creation. Without time, there logically could be no beginning, before the beginning, or after the beginning... "Time itself preexists creation..."
    From what I understand the Hebrew translated as "in the beginning" represents an absolute beginning, not just the beginning of "creation". This would point to a beginning of time itself.

Source: CMI

The first Hebrew word in Genesis 1:1 is bereshith; it occurs without the article and so is a proper noun, meaning ‘absolute beginning’.

© Copyright Original Source

Source.

You may not agree with them when the beginning was, but they seem to have it right about what "the beginning" means in Genesis 1.

Leave a comment:

• Truthseeker
    replied
    If that is true, then from whence are we free to define his existence as timeless?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "define." Let me change the question: What does the Bible say about God and time? In the moment that God created the universe, its future was also created. I doubt I can do better than that.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Do you believe that the phrase points us to an existence absent of time, or does is more accurately point to a point in time... In the beginning does not refer to a beginning of time, but more accurately points to a point of creation. Without time, there logically could be no beginning, before the beginning, or after the beginning... "Time itself preexists creation..."

Leave a comment:

• dacristoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
    This phrase "forever and ever" frequently appears in the Bible.
    Are they not expanses in time...

Leave a comment:

• dacristoy
    replied
    Then why does the Bible start with "in the beginning" if there was no beginning of time?

Leave a comment:

• dacristoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
    Maybe the best I can do now is to say that not one could ever comprehend an existence like God's.
    If that is true, then from whence are we free to define his existence as timeless?

Leave a comment:

• Truthseeker
    replied
    If God exists outside the bounds / confinement of time, how is it still present with Him? I took me awhile to grasp there is a difference between eternity and infinite time.
    This phrase "forever and ever" frequently appears in the Bible.

Leave a comment:

• Truthseeker
    replied
    Would you define for me a timeless existence where past, present, and future exists.
    Maybe the best I can do now is to say that not one could ever comprehend an existence like God's.

BTW, I do not find that scripture posits God as existing in a timeless existence, but rather God exists outside the bunds/confinement of time, time is present but God has power over time. It does not hinder him, still it is present with him...
    Weelll . . . that is OK.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X