Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does God have an individual plan for everyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catholicity
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I love this kind of thing, LJ, and before I forget, let me throw one of my goofy analogies out there. It's kind of dated, because most young people never drove a car without power steering, but you can clue them in.

When you ask God to show you His will for your life, it really helps if you're not "sitting still", but are at least moving in a direction. It's really hard to turn the steering wheel of a car that is not moving - or even if it has power steering, if the engine is off. Get that car moving, however, and it's much easier to steer it.

I believe God "steers" us as we begin to obey Him. The more we are "in tune" with Him, the easier it is for Him to steer us.

And I also like to point out that there are three things (in my opinion) that you really don't need to pray about, regarding the Will of God.

A) Things God has specifically said do NOT do - no need to ask Him if you can
    2) Things God has specifically told us TO do - no need to ask "God, should I love my brothers?"
    III) Things that really don't matter - like what color shirt I should wear or whether I should have my eggs over medium or scrambled.

That's just some real quick thoughts off the top of my big empty head.
    You know, its really sad that I can think of some experiences where I was taught that I had to even pray about what to eat or where. Maybe it sounds like I have a chip on my shoulder but growing up with the don't think just believe has often left me really confused on some subjects. Including aspects of God's plan for life

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    I think God has a plan for everyone. But are we listening? Are we following? And I do think that there are a lot of possibilities for different circumstances. If we make a poor choice, then we can get ourselves back on our walk with God and he can continue to help us hammer out the circumstances for us.

Leave a comment:

• fm93
    replied
    Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    I’m planning on teaching our Adult Sunday School for the month of July, so 4 - 6 weeks total. Iam contemplating basing it on the book I just finished “Decision Making And The Will Of God” by Garry Friesen.Dr. Friesen makes a compelling argument against the traditionally held view that God has an Individual, Personal Plan for each believers life. His view is that God’s sovereign will and God’s moral will are plainly spelled out in Scripture, but that an individual specific will for your life from God isn’t. Dr. Friesen believes that God does not (as a general rule) have a specific personal will/plan for individuals…at least for most of us. Rather he believes that Christian have the Bible, God’s word…and that it’s sufficient to ascertain God’s will for our life. God's Moral will is what we should use to make decisions since God’s Sovereign will cannot be known ahead of time, and therefore it is useless to worry about. That God will bring about what he will. I actually believe he is on the right path here. However, I think at times God does give us specific direction, but that is the exception rather than the rule. He spends a bit of time countering many “proof texts” that people use for the concept. So, I guess I would like to know what you think? Do you think God has a specific individual plan for your (and everyone else’s) life? If so, what scripture(s) do you think show this to be true?

If you want to read more about Friesen's view, you can read this article here:

http://www.gfriesen.net/sections/wil...principles.php

I always wondered what people who espouse the traditional view believe God's plan was for infants who died at birth or were aborted.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I love this kind of thing, LJ, and before I forget, let me throw one of my goofy analogies out there. It's kind of dated, because most young people never drove a car without power steering, but you can clue them in.

When you ask God to show you His will for your life, it really helps if you're not "sitting still", but are at least moving in a direction. It's really hard to turn the steering wheel of a car that is not moving - or even if it has power steering, if the engine is off. Get that car moving, however, and it's much easier to steer it.

I believe God "steers" us as we begin to obey Him. The more we are "in tune" with Him, the easier it is for Him to steer us.

And I also like to point out that there are three things (in my opinion) that you really don't need to pray about, regarding the Will of God.

A) Things God has specifically said do NOT do - no need to ask Him if you can
    2) Things God has specifically told us TO do - no need to ask "God, should I love my brothers?"
    III) Things that really don't matter - like what color shirt I should wear or whether I should have my eggs over medium or scrambled.

That's just some real quick thoughts off the top of my big empty head.

Leave a comment:

• Littlejoe
    started a topic Does God have an individual plan for everyone?

Does God have an individual plan for everyone?

I’m planning on teaching our Adult Sunday School for the month of July, so 4 - 6 weeks total. Iam contemplating basing it on the book I just finished “Decision Making And The Will Of God” by Garry Friesen.Dr. Friesen makes a compelling argument against the traditionally held view that God has an Individual, Personal Plan for each believers life. His view is that God’s sovereign will and God’s moral will are plainly spelled out in Scripture, but that an individual specific will for your life from God isn’t. Dr. Friesen believes that God does not (as a general rule) have a specific personal will/plan for individuals…at least for most of us. Rather he believes that Christian have the Bible, God’s word…and that it’s sufficient to ascertain God’s will for our life. God's Moral will is what we should use to make decisions since God’s Sovereign will cannot be known ahead of time, and therefore it is useless to worry about. That God will bring about what he will. I actually believe he is on the right path here. However, I think at times God does give us specific direction, but that is the exception rather than the rule. He spends a bit of time countering many “proof texts” that people use for the concept. So, I guess I would like to know what you think? Do you think God has a specific individual plan for your (and everyone else’s) life? If so, what scripture(s) do you think show this to be true?

If you want to read more about Friesen's view, you can read this article here:

http://www.gfriesen.net/sections/wil...principles.php

Last edited by Littlejoe; 06-12-2015, 05:44 PM.
widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X