Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The ten commandments and being saved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IwreckNsow View Post
    What do you believe it means to be sanctified? Ive heard in means to be set apart. Some say it means to holy. Would i be set apart by keeping the sabbath. I suppose. Will i be holy by keeping the sabbath. Figure not on its own. Theres more to it
    Fair question! sanctification is the process of becoming holy, which means to be set apart for God. I think there is more to it than just the Sabbath too, I think that Jesus fulfilled the the OT law, and Paul in various places of Scripture taught against Judaizers, and explained how certain Jewish teachings are meant to be applied for Christians which means that while yes, the 10 commandments help us live according to the Law of Christ, we are not bound by them, and that this New Covenant has changed some things, we can now wear clothes of both linen AND cotton (amazing right?), and similarly the Sabbath is for every day resting in Jesus, we both know He is Lord of the Sabbath. If you disagree, maybe we can discuss it? I know I could be wrong even though I don't think so. I'm sure it's the same for you.
    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
      I never said God didn't sanctify people, you are being rather rude to someone who isn't attacking you.
      Wanna discuss this 1st before anything. You made the claim that i said you said God didnt sanctify people. When did i say this? If i did im wanting to say im sorry. If i didnt....
      Last edited by IwreckNsow; 12-06-2014, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Wanna discuss this 1st before anything. You made the claim that i said you said God didnt sanctify people. When did i say this? If i did im wanting to say im sorry. If i didnt....
        I apologize myself because I didn't see you reply to me in two different posts before I made my own so I only addressed the first. It seemed to me that when you were talking about those “sanctify themselves” you were talking to me as if I said something about it. If that wasn't your intent, please forgive me for reading what I thought you said and not what you said.
        Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
          I apologize myself because I didn't see you reply to me in two different posts before I made my own so I only addressed the first. It seemed to me that when you were talking about those “sanctify themselves” you were talking to me as if I said something about it. If that wasn't your intent, please forgive me for reading what I thought you said and not what you said.
          Thats OK. I forgive ya.

Just a little somethin extra to show how great the WORD is! There are only 2 places in the KJV where the words “moreover also” can be found

EZEK.20 [12] MOREOVER ALSO I gave them MY SABBATHS, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them

ACTS 2 [26] Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; MOREOVER ALSO MY FLESH SHALL REST in hope:

If you will notice in ACTS 2 the WORD says “my flesh shall rest in hope”. Just as GODS 4th commandment tells us to do. You will NOT find any scriptures that say you do not need to keep Gods sabbath day because you are NOW resting in Jesus. You will NOT find any scriptures that say Jesus is our sabbath rest.

Comment

WIPE AWAY TEARSWIPE AWAY ALL TEARS from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.[5]And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

No more tears. When? When death is swallowed up in victory {1Cor.15v54} and at the same time Jesus dwells with man in the new Jerusalem {the 1000yr period of rest}

REVELATION 7 [9] After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

Bill, you make the claim that the great multitude is in heaven. Keep readin

REVELATION 7 [13]And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they?[14]And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.[15]Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: AND HE THAT SITTETH ON THE THRONE SHALL DWELL AMONG THEM.[16]They shall hunger no more, nei-ther thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat.[17]For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall WIPE AWAY ALL TEARS
            You consistently isolate one or two scriptures I post and ignore everything else I post. That's lazy and sloppy. I cited EXACTLY where the throne was.

Rev 4:2 Immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a throne was standing in heaven,

Your post is refuted by scripture itself.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

If you will notice in ACTS 2 the WORD says “my flesh shall rest in hope”. Just as GODS 4th commandment tells us to do. You will NOT find any scriptures that say you do not need to keep Gods sabbath day because you are NOW resting in Jesus. You will NOT find any scriptures that say Jesus is our sabbath rest.
              Yes you will. I cited them already. So, dance fella, DANCE!

That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                You consistently isolate one or two scriptures I post and ignore everything else I post. That's lazy and sloppy. I cited EXACTLY where the throne was.

Rev 4:2 Immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a throne was standing in heaven,

Your post is refuted by scripture itself.
                And you quoted scriptures i posted about the great multitude and then turned around and posted a scripture about the thone while it was still in heaven

Jeremiah 3:16-17 (KJV)
                16 And it shall come to pass, when ye be multiplied and increased in the land, in those days, saith the LORD, they shall say no more, The ark of the covenant of the LORD: neither shall it come to mind: neither shall they remember it; neither shall they visit it; neither shall that be done any more.
                17 At that time they shall call Jerusalem the throne of the LORD; and all the nations shall be gathered unto it, to the name of the LORD, to Jerusalem: neither shall they walk any more after the imagination of their evil heart.

That throne is coming to earth. As i said before...to Jerusalem

Comment

Thats OK. I forgive ya.

Just a little somethin extra to show how great the WORD is! There are only 2 places in the KJV where the words “moreover also” can be found

EZEK.20 [12] MOREOVER ALSO I gave them MY SABBATHS, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them
                  Did you read the context though? That chapter is Ezekial prophesying for God that Israel is in rebellion and lists things they've done wrong in the face of His righteousness. I don't think it is reasonable to try to apply that verse to Christiand to say that we should follow the Sabbath because we are not Israel in rebellion and He was talking about how the Sabbath was for them, it's the same silly mistake that people make when they take Jeremiah 29:11 and apply it to their own situation.

ACTS 2 [26] Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; MOREOVER ALSO MY FLESH SHALL REST in hope:

Again, context is everything. That was a sermon by Peter where he was quoting King David as a prophet, and Peter explains that David was talking about Jesus being the one who's flesh was not corrupted, see vs 31. I taught a small group just this past Tuesday on the topic of how to read Scripture.

Matthew 11:28 shows that Jesus is our rest.
                  Romans 14 talks about some Christians consider some days more special than others but Paul simply says to paraphrase "to each his own" and to not make stumbling blocks for each other, clearly he does not think the Sabbath is important or he would make everyone obey it.
                  Acts 15 and Hebrews 8 makes explicit the release from the law of Moses (which is the first time it was a commanded of a human)
                  Hebrews 4 can be understood in one of two ways about the Sabbath, 1. Christians can currently rest in The Lord. And 2. Christians will be able to rest completely in The Lord in the future. As far as I can tell both are true.

Does Scripture consistently tie Jesus to the "Sabbath rest?" Not that I've seen in those words, but He is Lord of the Sabbath, and we can rest in Him, and it makes sense.

Comment

And you quoted scriptures i posted about the great multitude and then turned around and posted a scripture about the thone while it was still in heaven

Jeremiah 3:16-17 (KJV)
                    16 And it shall come to pass, when ye be multiplied and increased in the land, in those days, saith the LORD, they shall say no more, The ark of the covenant of the LORD: neither shall it come to mind: neither shall they remember it; neither shall they visit it; neither shall that be done any more.
                    17 At that time they shall call Jerusalem the throne of the LORD; and all the nations shall be gathered unto it, to the name of the LORD, to Jerusalem: neither shall they walk any more after the imagination of their evil heart.

That throne is coming to earth. As i said before...to Jerusalem
                    The throne was in heaven in Rev 4. The 1000 years doesn't begin until Rev 20. And last I checked, Rev 7 comes before Rev 20. So, dance again, partner!

batusi.gif
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      The throne was in heaven in Rev 4. The 1000 years doesn't begin until Rev 20. And last I checked, Rev 7 comes before Rev 20. So, dance again, partner!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3020[/ATTACH]
                      Do you really believe that the book of Revelation is in chronilogical order? Yikes

Comment

• Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                        Acts 15 and Hebrews 8 makes explicit the release from the law of Moses (which is the first time it was a commanded of a human)
                        Hi Pentecost, thought ya left. So you say Acts 15 releases us from the law. Lets look at it

ACTS 15 [17] That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things. [18] Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world. [19] Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among THE GENTILES are turned to God: [20] But that we write unto them, that THEY ABSTAIN FROM POLLUTIONS OF IDOLS, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood. [21] For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

ACTS 15 as a whole was speaking as to whether gentiles needed to be circumcized or not.

ACTS 15 [4] And when they were come to Jerusalem, they were received of the church, and of the apostles and elders, and they declared all things that God had done with them. [5] But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That IT WAS NEEDFUL TO CIRCUMCISE THEM, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

ACTS 15 [24] Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, YE MUST BE CIRCUMCISED, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

Nothing to do with the 10 commandments. So lets look into what pollution of idols {V 20} is all about. Its there we find that we are to be keeping Gods sabbath.

LEVITICUS 19 [3] Ye shall fear every man his mother, and his father, and KEEP MY SABBATHS: I am the Lord your God. [4] TURN YE NOT UNTO IDOLS, NOR MAKE TO YOURSELVES MOLTEN GODS: I am the Lord your God.

LEVITICUS 26 [1]Ye shall MAKE YOU NO IDOLS NOR GRAVEN IMAGE, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the Lord your God. [2] YE SHALL KEEP MY SABBATHS, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the Lord.

EZEKIEL 20 [16]Because they despised my judgments, and walked not in my statutes, BUT POLLUTED MY SABBATHS: FOR THEIR HEART WENT AFTER THEIR IDOLS.

I don’t know what the connection might be as to why graven images and idols are a sign that you don’t keep Gods sabbath but if the WORD says so I believe it. We could have a debate on what an idol is but that would go nowhere but in circles. Does your church have any standing images? I know the churches that do keep the sabbath don’t have any standing images or crosses. Well, least the ones I know.

Comment

Matthew 11:28 shows that Jesus is our rest.
                          MATTHEW 11 [27] All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. [28] Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. [29] Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. [30] For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

In order to find out what rest Jesus is speaking of simply read the very next verse. Keep in mind when this was written it was one continual writing. No chapters and verses.

MATTHEW 12 [1] At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat. [2] But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.

Its His sabbath day rest

Comment

the Sabbath is for every day resting in Jesus, we both know He is Lord of the Sabbath. If you disagree, maybe we can discuss it?
                            Well Pentecost i know that Jesus is Lord of the sabbath. But everyday is a sabbath? Thats not what His sabbath covenant says.

EXODUS 20 [10] But THE SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: [11] FOR IN SIX DAYS THE LORD MADE HEAVEN AND EARTH, the sea, and all that in them is, AND RESTED THE SEVENTH DAY: WHEREFORE THE LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH DAY, AND HALLOWED IT.

Its on the 7th day

Psalm 89:30-34 (KJV)
                            30 If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments;
                            31 If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments;
                            32 Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes.
                            33 Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail.
                            34 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.

And it hasnt been altered nor changed

Comment

HEBREWS 8 [8] For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: [9] Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. [10] For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MIND, AND WRITE THEM IN THEIR HEARTS: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: [11] And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. [12] For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. [13] In that he saith, A NEW COVENANT, HE HATH MADE THE FIRST OLD. NOW THAT WHICH DECAYETH AND WAXETH OLD IS READY TO VANISH AWAY.

Pentecost, you believe the covenant of Hebrews 8 is already here?

Verse 8- I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
                              Not a gentile mentioned anywhere. Are you from either house? Which tribe?

Verse 11- Does EVERYONE know the Lord? Not even close. There will come a time when all on earth will know the Lord but surely you cant believe that everyone knows the Lord at this point in time

Verse 13- Hebrews 8 was written AFTER the crucified Christ and the scripture clearly says that the old covenant (10 commandments) is WAXING OLD and GETTING READY to vanish. Aint vanished yet! Yes there are some books that claim the ten are obsolete. But thats only found in denominatioal books that wish to make Gods law void

Verse 10- When God writes His commandments in our heart you can bet the ranch we will be keeping them. Yes, even His sabbath. When will God write His laws in our hearts? At the time He does this quote takes place.. " I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people". Its after the gathering of His people to the 1000yr period of rest.

EZEKIEL 36 [24] For I will take you from among the heathen, and GATHER YOU OUT OF ALL COUNTRIES, AND WILL BRING YOU INTO YOUR OWN LAND. [25] Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. [26] A NEW HEART also will I give you, and A NEW SPIRIT will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. [27] And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. [28] And ye shall dwell in the land that i gave to your fathers; and YE SHALL BE MY PEOPLE, AND I WILL BE YOUR GOD.

Heres another scripture pointing to when God will do heart surgery on us

DEUT. 30 [4] If any of thine be driven out unto the outmost parts of heaven, from thence will THE LORD THY GOD GATHER THEE, and from thence will he fetch thee: [5] And the Lord THY GOD WILL BRING THEE INTO THE LAND WHICH THY FATHERS POSSESSED, and thou shalt possess it; and he will do thee good, and multiply thee above thy fathers. [6] And the Lord THY GOD WILL CIRCUMCISE THINE HEART, and the heart of thy seed, to love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live. [7] And the Lord thy God will put all these curses upon thine enemies, and on them that hate thee, which persecuted thee. [8] And THOU SHALT RETURN AND OBEY THE VOICE OF THE LORD, AND DO ALL HIS COMMANDMENTS which I command thee this day.

The gathering to the 1000 yr period of rest. Verse 8- Yes.... that would be the 10 commandments. Does that include the sabbath

ISAIAH 66 [22] For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain. [23] And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and FROM ONE SABBATH TO ANOTHER, SHALL ALL FLESH COME TO WORSHIP before me, saith the Lord.

sure does

Comment

• Most conversations on Forums are not rapid fire back and forths, I check a couple times a day for those threads I enjoy posting, or reading and otherwise look and new ones if they appear.

I cannot reply to you across four posts. If you are speaking to me make it one large post. I am sorry if this seems onerous for you, and as interested as I am in conversing with you, I absolutely refuse to in this format. I am typing on a phone (no computer at home) I'll be back tomorrow, if you follow common forum decorum and make it so you aren't at least quadruple posting, I'll give you my reply, otherwise I hope you have a fruitful discussion.

God bless you.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X