Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining 'Christian' for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Question for church-goin Christians...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steven View Post
    Why did Jesus choose 12 Jewish male disciples?
    Because in that day and age women were not considered credible witnesses.
    I rejoice in this response and likewise assume that you fully agree with Paul's instructions for church behavior in 1 Corinthians 14: "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." 1 Cor. 14: 34-35
    One could read this in isolation and assume Paul was a misogynist, or one could read this in the context of Paul's other words and the world of women at that time and conclude otherwise. Paul acknowledged Phoebe as a deaconess and Priscilla as an apostle, so this is most likely not a blanket admonition that women not speak at all in the churches. Women were not educated in those days, and so would be more likely to ask questions. Paul simply doesn't want the service interrupted by questions that could just as easily be answered elsewhere.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      .... Priscilla as an apostle...
      er....Junia?
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Paul acknowledged Phoebe as a deaconess and Priscilla as an apostle, so this is most likely not a blanket admonition that women not speak at all in the churches.
        I think the women topic could be saved for another--very interesting--thread.

However, are you indicating that Aquila and Priscilla were apostles? Eyewitness of Christ? You are aware that they were a married couple, right?

Comment

Bill the Cat,

Perhaps you do remember me from the beginning of Tweb,
          Yes. I remember you and the hobby horse you rode frequently.

and perhaps have set your EMF-reader a mite too high,
          Nope. I see you for what you are.

but this response jostles precariously close to the "broad-brushing" category,

a thing which hath ethereally disconcerted more than a few meandering this very board.
          Unnecessary verbosity noted.

As for pleading the 5th on non-conformance to the Hebrews 10 assemblage, I do recall you having shared --a few posts earlier--some knowledge of snake-handling churches in Appalachia... (Disclosure: said post I have referenced here may or may not exist any more; emphasis on the latter.)
          Who doesn't know of those weirdoes?

Your syntax suggests that you have sampled the services of many a congregation. If they were as ethereally illuminating as you suggest, why leave?
          Different issues, from moving around in the military, to moving around with my family for work and schools, to churches closing, to doctrinal issues that were hidden for a time, to maturing past "milk" churches.

Why did Jesus choose 12 Jewish male disciples?
          Because of the culture of the time and who the Jews considered acceptable witnesses.

I rejoice in this response and likewise assume that you fully agree with Paul's instructions for church behavior in 1 Corinthians 14: "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." 1 Cor. 14: 34-35
          Paul was quoting critics in Corinth. Paul was a student of Gamaliel and would never make the mistake of saying that the law says that women must be in submission. http://www.tektonics.org/film/paulhatesgirls.html

I would say that Kool-aid is not my recommended choice for communion service...
          I particularly love how you grab fringe practices and then act like that is how ALL of Christendom behaves. I've probably attended 2-3 dozen Christian churches around the world, from California to Florida, from Saudi Arabia to Germany. NEVER have any of them used anything other than grape juice or wine. So, please throw that red herring back into the sea of your nonsense arguments and actually address what the majority of Christendom practices.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Colossians 2:18-23
            So, you can quote scripture out of context that has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation.

Did you flunk Vacation Bible School? Is that why you're mad at the Church?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              Verbosity
              Verbosity? This should kill ya:

Moderator's note: Linking to other forums is not permitted

The Tektoniks article is terse but inadequate and sloppy. He links to sources that contradict his view!

Lately, there is a trend of anti-intellectualism on the the rise on this site, a change from the quality postings of the old site.

A wide vocabulary is a measure of the effort a poster puts into his studies, an indicator of his commitment to the subject matter, a rejection of the methodology of light, inconsidered blowing off of the opposing view. The subject is complex, requiring more than snarky one liner responses and/or sound bite theological rebuttal..

Still moderation here is better and I offer my thanks to the overseers who are responsible and made this possible. On the other site, I have to debate SDA posters in the orthodox section.

Just an observation of the meta.
              Last edited by KingsGambit; 02-07-2015, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• Footwasher,

Would you please, please make an attempt to use the quote tags or something to indicate what words you're quoting from someone/somewhere else? I have a difficult time sometimes parsing what parts of your posts are your comments and what parts are material on which you're commenting. Thanks.
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• You ignored basically everything bill said to talk about moderation?
                  "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                  "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                  Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                    You ignored basically everything bill said to talk about moderation?
                    No. His objection to verbosity pulled my chain, and I talked about it.
                    Last edited by footwasher; 02-08-2015, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Footwasher,

Would you please, please make an attempt to use the quote tags or something to indicate what words you're quoting from someone/somewhere else? I have a difficult time sometimes parsing what parts of your posts are your comments and what parts are material on which you're commenting. Thanks.
                      Hi OBP, I submitted the piece I wrote, which I quoted from, to the Blog Section, to comply with Site Rules. Hopefully I will be able to link to it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

• Originally posted by footwasher View Post

A wide vocabulary is a measure of the effort a poster puts into his studies...
                        I have no issue with using larger words when necessary. But the specific terms he chose to use were beyond the subject of the OP, and were not even remotely related to even his rant about broad-brushing. The term "ethereally" has nothing to do with being "disconcerted". It was used to try to sound more intelligent, and it failed. It's an example of sesquipedalian loquaciousness.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          I have no issue with using larger words when necessary. But the specific terms he chose to use were beyond the subject of the OP, and were not even remotely related to even his rant about broad-brushing. The term "ethereally" has nothing to do with being "disconcerted". It was used to try to sound more intelligent, and it failed. It's an example of sesquipedalian loquaciousness.
                          Actually, I found it rather cool! One man's poison being another man's meat, I suppose.

On the other forum, I found that treating people like adults, expecting them to respond intelligently has paid dividends. We are now working together on progressive sanctification: what it is, the necessity for it, the way to attain it, sometimes in a sesquipedalian loquacios manner. It's all great fun. The ruins of Jerusalem are being rebuilt.

Comment

Perhaps you do remember me from the beginning of Tweb, and perhaps have set your EMF-reader a mite too high, but this response jostles precariously close to the "broad-brushing" category, a thing which hath ethereally disconcerted more than a few meandering this very board.

As for pleading the 5th on non-conformance to the Hebrews 10 assemblage, I do recall you having shared --a few posts earlier--some knowledge of snake-handling churches in Appalachia... (Disclosure: said post I have referenced here may or may not exist any more; emphasis on the latter.)

Your syntax suggests that you have sampled the services of many a congregation. If they were as ethereally illuminating as you suggest, why leave?

Pray accept my pretentious-less reparation for the perceived verbosity in the one of my posts antecedent (see above).

For the sole purposes of clarification—for I harbor no motive whatsoever to extrapolate exclusive amusement from the situation--I shall endeavor to translate a mere selection of my previous statements forthwith, utilizing a far more simplified--and thereby understandable--language which includes the use, placement and usage of established colloquialisms, and—in this addendum—I shall entirely avoid the weighty tome that perished in the Cretaceous Period (thesaurus) as well as the respected remonstrance(s) of the Chicago Manual of Style (Edition XV).

Additionally, in keeping with the research-laden traditions of this particular forum, I have confirmed the parallel meanings of my transliterated phrases with such respected and esteemed sources as the following: http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/wo...ary-words.html

“… but this response jostles precariously close to the "broad-brushing" category, a thing which hath ethereally disconcerted more than a few meandering this very board.”
                            Translation: “Folks ‘round here dohn take kindly to what ya’ll were sayin’.”

“Disclosure: said post I have referenced here may or may not exist anymore; emphasis on the latter.”
                            Translation: “Yer post done disappear’d faster than greased lightnin’.”

“Your syntax suggests that you have sampled the services of many a congregation. If they were as ethereally illuminating as you suggest, why leave?”
                            Translation: “Whyja leave if ya’lls charch is ‘gooder than grits’?”

In conclusion, it is my artless hope that you have found the above examples elucidatory.

Comment

Pentecost -

To one of you points: the way I most often describe this--and I'll take just a small sliver from the Augustine pie--is the concepts of the visible and the invisible church. I use the term "modern christendom" to describe the visible, modern church... the church that likes to be seen by men, that loves the chief seats in the prayer house and makes the outside of the cup very clean, but inwardly is full of excess. (Matthew 23)
                              So then various congregations and denominations are all equivalent to Pharisees? Do you think that it might be more charitable to say that they might simply be attempting to be a light unto the world because a city on a hill cannot be hidden? (Matthew 5:14)

But, then there's The Church, the invisible body of Christ, the ekklesia.
                              Is there any overlap between the Church and the people who attend and participate with in those buildings often called churches?

Both the invisible and visible churches are definitely doing something; one is working iniquity while the other is alive and well and doing the will of The Father.
                              So collectively churches are evil and the Church is holy, righteous, never sins, and doesn't go to church? I don't think you believe that in the most literal way, and so I am asking for clarification, is that what you mean?
                              Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Pray accept my pretentious-less reparation for the perceived verbosity in the one of my posts antecedent (see above).

For the sole purposes of clarification—for I harbor no motive whatsoever to extrapolate exclusive amusement from the situation--I shall endeavor to translate a mere selection of my previous statements forthwith, utilizing a far more simplified--and thereby understandable--language which includes the use, placement and usage of established colloquialisms, and—in this addendum—I shall entirely avoid the weighty tome that perished in the Cretaceous Period (thesaurus) as well as the respected remonstrance(s) of the Chicago Manual of Style (Edition XV).

Additionally, in keeping with the research-laden traditions of this particular forum, I have confirmed the parallel meanings of my transliterated phrases with such respected and esteemed sources as the following: http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/wo...ary-words.html

Translation: “Folks ‘round here dohn take kindly to what ya’ll were sayin’.”

Translation: “Yer post done disappear’d faster than greased lightnin’.”

Translation: “Whyja leave if ya’lls charch is ‘gooder than grits’?”

In conclusion, it is my artless hope that you have found the above examples elucidatory.
                                Dear Steven,

Thank you for proving beyond reasonable doubt that you are a pretentious twit.

Sincerely,

sigpic

Comment