Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
    Where does the Bible teach this?
    James, Mary's son, tells us to pray for one another and that the prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective. Did James forbid his mother to do what he commanded others to do? Did James say to Mary, no, not you, you are not righteous enough or you are above all that because you are my mother, the Queen of heaven, let your subjects do that for you?
    אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• I ain't the first.

Plenty of citations were given that show since the Lord Jesus is prayed to this is a proof for His Deity.
      Last edited by foudroyant; 08-16-2014, 07:25 AM.

Comment

What is there evidence that Mary can be prayed to since the Bible always refers to prayer as worship?
        The Bible never confuses worship with prayer - That's just a dreamed up definition - though it does say things like "pray in worship" I think.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          The Bible never confuses worship with prayer - That's just a dreamed up definition - though it does say things like "pray in worship" I think.
          Oh ok. Cite one passage where prayer is taking place and it is not worship. You tried with Isaiah 44:17 - didn't go so well for you though.

Comment

I ain't the first.

Plenty of citations were given that show since the Lord Jesus is prayed to this is a proof for His Deity.
            Show me one person who has used this argument against prayer to the saints.
            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Oh ok. Cite one passage where prayer is taking place and it is not worship. You tried with Isaiah 44:17 - didn't go so well for you though.
              It is good enough for anyone who does not wilfully deny the truth.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                Show me one person who has used this argument against prayer to the saints.
                Properly used for God alone.
                Hint: This leaves out all others.
                Do I have to define "all" for you here?

Comment

It is good enough for anyone who does not wilfully deny the truth.
                  Figured that....your opinion trumps all.
                  Blow it somewhere else.

Comment

Figured that....your opinion trumps all.
                    Blow it somewhere else.
                    You haven't shown one piece of evidence stating that worship is prayer - and your claims are in contradictions of dictionary definitions. There is no dictionary that defines worship as prayer, nor is there a dictionary that defines prayer as worship; Humpty Dumpty.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                      James, Mary's son, tells us to pray for one another and that the prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective. Did James forbid his mother to do what he commanded others to do? Did James say to Mary, no, not you, you are not righteous enough or you are above all that because you are my mother, the Queen of heaven, let your subjects do that for you?
                      Where does James teach us to pray TO someone other than God?

Comment

There is no dictionary that defines worship as prayer, nor is there a dictionary that defines prayer as worship; Humpty Dumpty.
                        Worship: The consciousness of holy presence brings forth a response from those who perceived it. The response is worship and may take many forms. The response may be private and intensely personal, in the form of prayers, confessions, silence, and meditative experiences of various sorts. (Holman Bible Dictionary, Marvin E. Tate)
                        http://www.studylight.org/dictionari...iew.cgi?n=6481http://www.studylight.org/dictionari...iew.cgi?n=2948

Nice try.

Comment

Properly used for God alone.
                          Hint: This leaves out all others.
                          Do I have to define "all" for you here?
                          I'm not even surprised that you dodged the question. It was fun at first, now it's just boring. Until you're willing to acknowledge, at the very least, how novel your argument is, I'm gonna go spend my time more productively. In the mean time, there is a Catholic Answers piece that explores the etymology and historical definition of the English word "worship." Some here may find it interesting.
                          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

• Those aren't definitions: they're expositions of how worship is expressed.

Just as "bowing down in worship" does not define "bowing down" as "worship".
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Where does James teach us to pray TO someone other than God?
                              He does not, and this is not something I have claimed, but why are you repeatedly avoiding my question about this? It seems as if you want to avoid a genuine conversation. James was one of the leaders of the apostolic churches, which all share this belief that we are united in prayer with all the angels and saints, prayer to God, with and for one another. There's lots of things that were not preserved in the scriptures, the content of the liturgy. Only the words of institution happen to have been preserved in a letter of Paul that he wrote to the Corinthians. But we have much fuller liturgical prayers that have been handed down through the centuries. Most Christians recognize the guidance of the churches by the Spirit through leaders and prophets.
                              אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Those aren't definitions: they're expositions of how worship is expressed.

Just as "bowing down in worship" does not define "bowing down" as "worship".

You're an idiot. You asserted there is no dictionary...
                                I supplied two of them.

What did the Lord Jesus call the Temple? --- A house of PRAYER.

Clue up.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X