Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining 'Christian' for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Praying to Mary is worshiping Mary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
    In practice they do.
    This is untrue. Catholics and other apostolic Christians do not consider Mary to be God or a god.
    אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• They may so they don't but as I wrote "in practice they do".

See Post #587
      http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ng-Mary/page59

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        Then why does the text say, 'the angel of YHWH' instead of YHWH? Is the text wrong?

I did not ask if it was OK; I asked if it was necessarily 'worship'.
        The text isn't wrong. God is not strictly a Unitarian Being.
        http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...is-48-15-16%29

Asking God for a car is worship.

Comment

They may so they don't but as I wrote "in practice they do".

See Post #587
          http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ng-Mary/page59
          But in practice they do not, which is why you are mistaken, as is your source:
          Watson's Biblical and Theological Dictionary: ...The veneration which the Papists pay to the Virgin Mary, and other saints and angels, and to the bread in the sacrament, the cross, relics, and images, affords ground for the Protestants to charge them with being idolaters, though they deny that they are so. It is evident that they worship these persons and things, and that they justify the worship, but deny the idolatry of it, by distinguishing subordinate from supreme worship.

How much experience do you have of worship services of Catholic and Orthodox Christians?

Comment

The text isn't wrong. God is not strictly a Unitarian Being.
            http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...is-48-15-16%29
            Do you believe that angels are creatures or gods?

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
            Asking God for a car is worship.
            Do you think if my son asks me to buy him a car, he is worshipping me? I think most people would recognize differing kinds of prayer. It is not just about asking for things.

Comment

• In practice they do because every time prayer is done in the Bible it is always worship - and God alone ought to be worshiped. Thus my source is correct.
              I was a Roman Catholic for almost 20 years.
              Created angels are creatures of God.
              If your son asked you to buy him a car he is not worshiping you but if he were to do so silently while at the same with myriads of other people silently making requests unto you and he expected you to know what he was asking, along with every one else, then yes he would be worshiping you.
              Last edited by foudroyant; 08-15-2014, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Then why does the text say, 'the angel of YHWH' instead of YHWH? Is the text wrong?

I did not ask if it was OK; I asked if it was necessarily 'worship'.
                There are times when the text shows that the angel of the Lord is YHVH, but right now I tend to the view this isn't one of them.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

In practice they do.
                  Paul also used the same language towards Caesar and Jesus Christ, as tabibito pointed out. If your interpretations were consistent, then that means Paul "in practice" considers Caesar every bit as much "Lord" as he does Jesus Christ. You're entitled to your interpretation, but consistency would make it more reasonable.
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

In practice they do because every time prayer is done in the Bible it is always worship - and God alone ought to be worshiped. Thus my source is correct.
                    If your son asked you to buy him a car he is not worshiping you but if he were to do so silently while at the same with myriads of other people silently making requests unto you and he expected you to know what he was asking, along with every one else, then yes he would be worshiping you.
                    It is indeed true that some Catholics and other Christians are not well educated about their faith and there are, in my opinion, some exaggerated expressions of devotion that I would not endorse. It sounds like maybe you were not that well educated in the Catholic faith, which is unfortunate, but you can address that now.

My son is well aware of the fact that I am not God or any kind of god, 'though he loves me very much anyway, and if he were to silently ask me for a car, he would therefore certainly not be worshipping me. Stupid perhaps, but not worshipping me. He might also be clever and creative in finding indirect ways to imply that it would be good if he had a car, but that too would not be worship, just subtle indirect and silent communication. If others were to pray to me silently, expecting me to buy them cars like some kind of magic Oprah, that would be pretty funny, but they would certainly be deluded because I do not have nearly as much money as Oprah. If they thought I was some kind of god or God, their delusion would be idolatrous. If they knew that I was not god or God, they might be engaging in some kind of superstition, like baseball players not changing their socks when they are on a winning streak, who nonetheless do not think their dirty socks are gods or God.

Comment

So when the angel/messenger of Yahweh and Abraham spoke with each other in Genesis 22, do you believe that the angel/messenger of Yahweh was a creature or the Creator?

Comment

When you were a Roman Catholic, foudroyant, did you believe that Mary was the creator of the universe?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Paul also used the same language towards Caesar and Jesus Christ, as tabibito pointed out. If your interpretations were consistent, then that means Paul "in practice" considers Caesar every bit as much "Lord" as he does Jesus Christ. You're entitled to your interpretation, but consistency would make it more reasonable.
                          I already addressed this in Post #645.

Comment

So when the angel/messenger of Yahweh and Abraham spoke with each other in Genesis 22, do you believe that the angel/messenger of Yahweh was a creature or the Creator?
                            Creator

Comment

When you were a Roman Catholic, foudroyant, did you believe that Mary was the creator of the universe?
                              No but I did assign her omniscience in that I prayed to her.
                              Last edited by foudroyant; 08-15-2014, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I already addressed this in Post #645.
                                No you didn't.
                                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment