Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining 'Christian' for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Praying to Mary is worshiping Mary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1. My definition is supported by several dictionaries which I have continually cited. Of course your heresy prevents you from believing them.

2. A blade of grass is a non-deity but if it is prayed to it has become a deity.
    Last edited by foudroyant; 08-07-2014, 09:33 PM.

Comment

• I have a feeling this thread is going to go on for eternity due to foudy's idiocy.
      Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

• This coming from someone who prays to/worships a mythical Mary.

Moron.

Comment

• Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
          I have a feeling this thread is going to go on for eternity due to foudy's idiocy.
          Maybe, maybe not. After explaining my POV for the nth time and getting the same thing back in return, I begin to get bored and my attention starts to wander. I've shown in-thread that "prayer" has a greater semantic range than he alleges (both from Merriam-Webster and citations from the KJV); he then falls back on the Greek, though he has yet to prove that the Greek words behind our beliefs are identical. He alleges that prayer is necessarily worship, but even his favorite source doesn't outright claim that. Proskuneo is not necessarily done to deity, as blueletterbible shows. Presumably he'll ignore that or wave it away, since it does not accord with his assertions.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Prayer to a non-deity is non-worship.
            This is absurd.

Still waiting for a passage from the Bible where prayer is taking place and it is not worship (See Post #212).
            So far the total passages that are in favor of this is zero.

I never asserted that proskuneo had to be done to a deity.
            Last edited by foudroyant; 08-07-2014, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. After explaining my POV for the nth time and getting the same thing back in return, I begin to get bored and my attention starts to wander. I've shown in-thread that "prayer" has a greater semantic range than he alleges (both from Merriam-Webster and citations from the KJV); he then falls back on the Greek, though he has yet to prove that the Greek words behind our beliefs are identical. He alleges that prayer is necessarily worship, but even his favorite source doesn't outright claim that. Proskuneo is not necessarily done to deity, as blueletterbible shows. Presumably he'll ignore that or wave it away, since it does not accord with his assertions.
              Even allowing him his "προσκυνεω is worship of a deity" interpretation, it is demonstrated adequately that proskuneo is not the only form that prayer takes.
              Even when we pretend that his misinterpretation of his gospel according to the hosts** is valid, his argument still fails.
              (** In reality, these say no more than "In the Bible, proskuneo is used only with respect to deities" - he seems to think that the meaning doesn't change when "in the Bible" is eliminated from the sentence.)
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• I never asserted proskuneo must always be worship of a deity.

Still waiting for a passage from the Bible where prayer is taking place and it is not worship (See Post #212).
                So far the total passages that are in favor of this is zero.
                You and others are now official Grand Poo-Bah's of the ZERO CLUB.
                Last edited by foudroyant; 08-07-2014, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• OPB's praying to a non-deity is non-worship just bit the dust.

Still no refutation to this:

Prayer: But you, when you PRAY, go into your inner room, close your door and PRAY to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. (Matthew 6:6, NASB, emphasis mine)

Worship: TDNT: He who penetrates all things regulates WORSHIP, Mt. 6:4, 6, 18 (5:991, Pater, Schrenk, emphasis mine).

Prayer is worship.

Go ahead people, I'm waiting for the next stupid argument that you have.
                  Last edited by foudroyant; 08-07-2014, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• I made a club!
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I made a club!
                      Does it have a nice pointy spike through it?
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Yes, the spike goes right to the heart of the gospel.

Comment

• Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
                          OPB's praying to a non-deity is non-worship just bit the dust.

Still no refutation to this:

Prayer: But you, when you PRAY, go into your inner room, close your door and PRAY to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. (Matthew 6:6, NASB, emphasis mine)

Worship: TDNT: He who penetrates all things regulates WORSHIP, Mt. 6:4, 6, 18 (5:991, Pater, Schrenk, emphasis mine).

Prayer is worship.

Go ahead people, I'm waiting for the next stupid argument that you have.
                          You know, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. In your case, this is posting the same stupid argument over and over again, hoping we won't remember it was refuted twenty pages ago.
                          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

You know, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. In your case, this is posting the same stupid argument over and over again, hoping we won't remember it was refuted twenty pages ago.
                            So.... trying to get Foudroyant to see reason would be .....
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

And yet you couldn't even cite the post......

In fact, 20 pages ago in Post #240 I asked Mr. Tab to supply evidence for his assertion in Post #239 that the RCC does not render proseuchomai unto Mary. Later in Post #245 I asked for their official teaching on this and to this moment he has provided nothing.
                              http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ng-Mary/page24

So much for his pathetic assertion.
                              Last edited by foudroyant; 08-12-2014, 08:15 AM.

Comment

• You are the one claiming that Rome promotes proseuxomai of Mary, Fouodroyant.
                                It is up to you to provide evidence that your claim has foundation in fact. The failure to do so puts you at risk of being a slanderer. Even if your claim is true, you are making the claim without evidence in support.
                                By your own definition, proseuxomai is prayer to a god. That definition may be inaccurate - your citations show no more than that proseuxomai is only used in that sense in the Bible - Whether it may have other uses outside the Bible is not addressed. Your definition may in fact be accurate - but you haven't produced anything in support of that assertion either.
                                Rome denies that Mary is a god(dess). By your definition, proseuxomai can only be given to someone that is regarded as a god.
                                It is impossible by your own definition for proseuxomai to be directed to someone that is not regarded as a god.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment