Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining "Christian" or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Stoning to death in the OT and the situation now after the NT.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    I'm one of those few American Christians, though, that also opposes capital punishment entirely. I believe that while a person is still alive they still have an opportunity to make Christ Lord, and that the death penalty removes that opportunity. But I understand that there are plenty who would disagree, and I don't think their arguments are entirely faulty.
    Do you believe that by Capital Punishment we can override God's will as to the possible repentance of the individual executed? Does not said individual have full opportunity to repent and submit to Christ when ever he or she dies?
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
      but if Christ did not condone the stoning of the Woman caught in adultery, neither should we.
      Christ had no legal authority to execute her.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        Christ had no legal authority to execute her.
        Irrelevant. He was asked his opinion and he gave it. Also, as the Son of God, he had the authority to forgive sin which is well documented.
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
          Irrelevant. He was asked his opinion and he gave it.
          It's not irrelevant, and He wasn't "asked His opinion", they were trying to get Him to break Roman law:

The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.
          If Jesus consented to the execution, He broke Roman law. If He didn't, He broke Jewish law. So Jesus came up with a way to avoid doing either. What you are saying is that we shouldn't lawfully execute adulterers because Jesus didn't lynch a woman.

Also, as the Son of God, he had the authority to forgive sin which is well documented.
          Not disputed. Also not relevant to whether we should execute adulterers.
          Last edited by Darth Executor; 05-10-2015, 11:54 PM.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
            I think that some have indicated that a reason to show that the Pharisee's weren't serious about what they trying to do. The old trstament law in regards to stoning did include the men as well in order to be stoned.
            I was about to point this out...that according to Moses, BOTH the man and woman committing adultery were supposed to be stoned to death. Jesus would have been right to demand that the man be produced as well. But as someone here pointed out, the Jews weren't allowed to impose capital punishment. Jesus chose not to "rock the boat", so to speak. He instead went to the root of the problem... all have sinned, so all were guilty under the law. He chose to confound the hypocrisy of the accusers with their own affirmation of the law.
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              Do you believe that by Capital Punishment we can override God's will as to the possible repentance of the individual executed?
              Capital punishment is not necessarily in contradiction with God's will, and is often how His authority is discharged.

But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.
              Last edited by Paprika; 05-11-2015, 01:52 AM.

Comment

OK, I have a question in regards to this. It's a hypothetical. If a country were to pass laws upholding the laws in Leviticus in regards to stoning, what should a Christians take on this be?
                Hypotheticals are not needed; Calvin's Geneva executed some adulterers, though stoning was not the means of death.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                  Hypotheticals are not needed; Calvin's Geneva executed some adulterers, though stoning was not the means of death.
                  OK, I think a few people have established that hypotheticals are not really needed but I'm asking what your view on it is. Would you be fine with it? or would you reject it because of reasons stated in the new covenant?

Comment

OK, I think a few people have established that hypotheticals are not really needed but I'm asking what your view on it is. Would you be fine with it? or would you reject it because of reasons stated in the new covenant?
                    I don't see any reason stated in the new covenant to reject it.

Comment

In 1 Corinthians 6:10-11, Paul saw the committers of what might have originally been capital crimes to be redeemable under the new covenant (homosexuals in particular). I've seen it argued that Paul only grudgingly accepted their non-execution under Roman law, but such a view hardly seems to do justice to the tenor of Paul's writings.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

This is an interesting excerpt from one of JP Holding's articles:

http://www.tektonics.org/lp/lawrole.php

Could we? No -- let's keep something in mind about the Law. Deuteronomy is laid out in the form of an ancient treaty between a king and his vassals. It is in essence a contract between God and Israel. They "signed on" and agreed to enforce the penalties.

What's the equivalent now? We now have a new covenant or contract between Christ and the individual and the believer. The sins are paid for by Christ's blood, and he takes on the punihsment for the trangression of those who break God's law and accept his payment. The old covenant and our enmity with it is now abolished (Eph. 2:15). The non-believer, the witch, et al. aren't covered by this, but nor does our new contract contain specifications of enforcement -- that is now God's domain, with regard to each individual, on the basis of the new covenant terms.
                        I leave it for others to flesh out whether, as written, this would seem to exclude Christian support for executing murderers (which I know he does not have in mind based on his writings elsewhere where he is clear this does not violate Christian ethics).
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

http://www.tektonics.org/lp/lawrole.php

I leave it for others to flesh out whether, as written, this would seem to exclude Christian support for executing murderers (which I know he does not have in mind based on his writings elsewhere where he is clear this does not violate Christian ethics).
                          Thanks KG. I have to admit that some of J.P.'s work has kind of influenced what I viewed before I started this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Which is no objection to a society making a social contract amongst itself that certain behaviours would receive certain punishments.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              Do you believe that by Capital Punishment we can override God's will as to the possible repentance of the individual executed?
                              I don't believe in unconditional election, if that's what you're asking.

Does not said individual have full opportunity to repent and submit to Christ when ever he or she dies?
                              Christ is the final arbiter, of course, but no, I don't think it's the case that one has the ability to repent and submit to Christ once they're dead. If so, then I question why anyone would need to evangelize when Christ can do it himself when a person dies.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                I don't believe in unconditional election, if that's what you're asking.

Christ is the final arbiter, of course, but no, I don't think it's the case that one has the ability to repent and submit to Christ once they're dead. If so, then I question why anyone would need to evangelize when Christ can do it himself when a person dies.
                                What if capital punishment would have forced an individual to face his sinful nature and by taking it off the table the individual never comes to Christ?

Comment