What Is TWeb's Thoughts on Charismatic Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
    The text literally says that the man talks to himself. The text no where literally says that the man cannot understand himself. My opponents rest their entire case on the existence of the gift of interpreting tongues and the verse about praying "that he may interpret." But there are numerous explanations for that verse, which can also allow for the speaker to understand himself. I don't have enough data to select exactly which explanation is correct. But I rely on the text about speaking to himself, which is clear. So the weight of the evidence supports my position. It's not a close call. The main reason people are confused is because of their charismatic traditions and preconceptions.
    I accept that the gifts ALL still exist and operate based on personal experience and testimonies of the early church.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      I accept that the gifts ALL still exist and operate based on personal experience and testimonies of the early church.
      I see it as God is sovereign, and He can do what He wants WHEN He wants, regardless of our opinions or interpretations.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I'm not sure the gift of tongues has ceased, but I'm pretty sure what goes on in Pentacost churches is not any kind of language, its mumble/babble prayer. But that's not to say that the Holy Spirit can't influence a person through it, and I won't judge those who are given to it, but a special secret angelic language? Nope.

Comment

• Oneness Pentacostals aren't Christian though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            I'm not sure the gift of tongues has ceased, but I'm pretty sure what goes on in Pentacost churches is not any kind of language, its mumble/babble prayer. But that's not to say that the Holy Spirit can't influence a person through it, and I won't judge those who are given to it, but a special secret angelic language? Nope.
            Just out of curiosity Leo.. what language do angels speak to each other? Hebrew? Greek? English?
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              Just out of curiosity Leo.. what language do angels speak to each other? Hebrew? Greek? English?
              I think I read somewhere in this thread that they speak 'Gibberish'

(I kid...I kid....[obviously])

Comment

• Originally posted by phat8594 View Post
                I think I read somewhere in this thread that they speak 'Gibberish'

(I kid...I kid....[obviously])
                I was going to say "Latin."

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  Oneness Pentacostals aren't Christian though.
                  I don't agree that that's the case. I think Oneness Pentecostalism is heretical, but I believe most Oneness Pentecostals are naively ignorant about the Trinity. Megachurch Bishop T.D. Jakes, for instance, moved away from Oneness Pentecostalism after examining the traditional doctrine on the Trinity, and finding he agreed with it. The Trinity is a notoriously complicated concept to grasp within and without Christianity (probably second only to the debate on the nature of Christ), and was responsible for splits in the church from very early on. I have a hard time believing that everyone who's fallen into the heresy of modalism is not a Christian.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    I was going to say "Pig Latin."

fify.

Not surprising considering who's saying it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      I don't agree that that's the case. I think Oneness Pentecostalism is heretical, but I believe most Oneness Pentecostals are naively ignorant about the Trinity.
                      Yeah, I never like declaring somebody "not Christian" based on the group or denomination they align with, anymore than I would declare somebody "Christian" for the same reason.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Yeah, I never like declaring somebody "not Christian" based on the group or denomination they align with, anymore than I would declare somebody "Christian" for the same reason.
                        How about Oneness Pentacostalism isn't Christian teaching?

Comment

• Oneness Pentecostals teach that the Bible standard of full salvation, which is repentance, baptism in water by immersion in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and the baptism of the Holy Ghost with the initial sign of speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance. And they hold the act of water baptism is a work of God not being a work of man in this. Citing Acts 2:38 and Ephesians 2:8, 9. Holding speaking in tongues is the evidence of receiving the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:9).
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                            How about Oneness Pentacostalism isn't Christian teaching?
                            Sure, but I guess the point I'm making is that many people are a particular denomination because they are the children of somebody or spouse of somebody or that's where they grew up... they could have a genuine conversion experience and be ignorant as to the truth of some particular doctrines.

To me, that's part of Christian maturing... it's a process, and not many of us get it all right up front. I certainly didn't (and haven't).

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              fify.

Not surprising considering who's saying it.
                              In your hurry to poke me, you missed the thrust of my intent.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                                Oneness Pentecostals teach that the Bible standard of full salvation, which is repentance, baptism in water by immersion in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and the baptism of the Holy Ghost with the initial sign of speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance. And they hold the act of water baptism is a work of God not being a work of man in this. Citing Acts 2:38 and Ephesians 2:8, 9. Holding speaking in tongues is the evidence of receiving the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:9).
                                Not arguing this at all, 37 - just curious where you got this? (It sounds correct as far as I know)

Comment