Christians and Trump--two perspectives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

I do think there needs to be some political consequence to Trump for suddenly running to the left on abortion. If we support him nonetheless, we've demonstrated that there is no incentive for Republicans to take pro-life positions since we'll vote for them either way anyway.
    I don't think he ever really was Pro-Life. At least he hasn't really thought it through. He's said a few things that annoyed me. (Who was that lady who was running for office, and after losing said she should have taken Trump's advice and softened her Pro-Life rhetoric?) Most recent of course is the "Leave it to the States" crap.

But really, he's just following the blowhards before him. Anyone who huffs, "It's an innocent baby human!" and then whips around and falls all over himself to assure, "Exceptions for rape and incest!!!" is a phony. The Pro-Life movement -- the politicos, at least -- have always been disingenuous. "Rape and incest" to appeal to women, "States should decide" to appeal to the Federalists. If they *really* believed the unborn human is an actual baby, they wouldn't weasel that way. They'd be honest, and take the political losses.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I don't think he ever really was Pro-Life. At least he hasn't really thought it through. He's said a few things that annoyed me. (Who was that lady who was running for office, and after losing said she should have taken Trump's advice and softened her Pro-Life rhetoric?) Most recent of course is the "Leave it to the States" crap.

But really, he's just following the blowhards before him. Anyone who huffs, "It's an innocent baby human!" and then whips around and falls all over himself to assure, "Exceptions for rape and incest!!!" is a phony. The Pro-Life movement -- the politicos, at least -- have always been disingenuous. "Rape and incest" to appeal to women, "States should decide" to appeal to the Federalists. If they *really* believed the unborn human is an actual baby, they wouldn't weasel that way. They'd be honest, and take the political losses.
      If we decide to list all of Trump's failings, we could fill a book.

I'm satisfied with some movement on this issue, as opposed to none. The culmination of his SCOTUS appointments has assuredly saved lives.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

The House Republican candidate in the district I moved out of last year was a nurse who was life-of-mother-exception-only and said that she would use her professional specialty to help other Republicans avoid crafting stupid legislation that would inadvertently ban things like treating ectopic pregnancies. She was destined to be a sacrificial lamb in that district, but I've never more enthusiastically voted for somebody for House.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

If we decide to list all of Trump's failings, we could fill a book.

I'm satisfied with some movement on this issue, as opposed to none. The culmination of his SCOTUS appointments has assuredly saved lives.
          My argument is that the movement is likely to be undone anyway as Republican strategists learn that pro-life viewpoints are not that politically popular (such as Kari Lake going full out pro-choice in Arizona).
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            That would require a Constitutional amendment much like the one limiting a president to two terms, so very unlikely to happen.

The problem is that folks seemingly want term limits for politicians who aren't in their state or district. They want them for those elsewhere, why they continue to reelect the person in their area.
            I would be sort of happy with a forced retirement age of 65.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Which would require a constitutional amendment, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

85 is the new 65!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

85 is the new 65!
                  If 65 is the new 45 I have to wonder if back in the day folks felt like a wreck when they were 45.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• If you want leadership to be younger, be careful what you wish for given the rapid generational changes in values we've seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      If you want leadership to be younger, be careful what you wish for given the rapid generational changes in values we've seen.
                      The kids are NOT ok.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment