Are daily devotions biblical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I tend to talk to God all day long as I go about my business. I consider that a type of nonstop prayer.
    That I can buy, I do the same.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      On what in particular do you base this opinion?
      Just personal belief. I am unable to do more than maintain an attitude of prayer while concentrating on anything else (even that is not even close to 24 hours a day, or even all my waking hours).
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        How can you pray while asleep? Or pooping?
        God knows I poop. He created me to do that now and again. Does not bother Him.

Comment

The idea of reading a devotional book is extra-biblical at best, unbiblical at worst. The idea of praying frequently and reading the Bible frequently are both very biblical.

Deuteronomy 17:18-19
          And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites: and it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the Lord his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them[.]

I agree that "without ceasing" means frequently, not continuously.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
            I'm going to play devil's advocate a little here and say that there is no biblical support for the practice of setting aside some time early in the morning to pray, read your Bible and read a devotional text ('Daily Bread', 'Manna' or whatever). A 'daily devotion' or a 'quiet time'. Unbiblical. It's a guilt trip, a burden laid on people.

Give me your best case for why Christians should have daily devotions.
            It is extra-Biblical.

Practically speaking, this is one of those things that can easily slip from a helpful discipline to either a merit badge or a burdensome guilt-trip.

I have no case for either "should" or "should not."
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              In the same sense that the Bible never talks about the Bible (as non-Protestants love to point out), yes. But it's worth nothing that Jesus took quiet time on his own.
              It's hard to know if that was a regular (daily?) thing or not. Here are the references that I've tracked down so far. If anyone has any to add, please do so.

A: Matthew 14:13 Jesus goes to a deserted place after hearing of John the Baptist's execution.

B: Mark 1:35 Parallel with Luke 4:42

C: Mark 6:45-46 After feeding the five thousand, Jesus goes up a mountain to pray. Parallel with Matthew 14:23

D: Mark 14:32-34 In the garden of Gethsemane

E: Luke 5:16

F: Luke 6:12 Prior to calling the 12 disciples

G: Luke 9:18 Probably a parallel to Mark 6:45-46 Jesus was 'praying alone' with His disciples present.

H: John 6:15 Probably a parallel to Mark 6:45-46

Counting C, G and H as one, that's only six different references to Jesus having anything like a 'quiet time'.

A and D are Jesus seeking communion with the Father in a time of mental and spiritual crisis.

F is Jesus seeking the Father's advice in choosing the inner circle of disciples.

C is Jesus seeking a 'spiritual recharge' after a busy time of service, B is arguably the same.

We're left with only Luke 5:16 as something that might be akin to our present practice of Daily devotions.

That said, I'm not against the practice, but I do feel that it's extra biblical rather than something mandated. Clearly Jesus expected us to pray alone with God on a regular basis, and we are enjoined to read and study the Scriptures.
              ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I take your 'daily devotion' and raise you 'praying 24 hours a day.'

1 Thes 5:17 Pray without ceasing.
                OK. I do talk to God a fair bit in the course of a day. Does it matter if I don't do that on a formal basis, first thing in the morning? If so, why?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Even introverts spend time with those they love.

Do you love God? Then spend some time with Him.
                  I spend all day every day with God. If I don't have a specific devotional time, am I not spending time with God? Or am I doing it wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                    The idea of reading a devotional book is extra-biblical at best, unbiblical at worst. The idea of praying frequently and reading the Bible frequently are both very biblical.

Deuteronomy 17:18-19
                    And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites: and it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the Lord his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them[.]

I agree that "without ceasing" means frequently, not continuously.
                    That was a helpful post, thanks. It reminded me of a passage from Psalm 119:

11 I have hidden Your Word in my heart, so that I might not sin against You.*12* Blessed are You, O Jehovah; teach me Your Precepts.*13* With my lips I have declared all the judgments of Your mouth.*14* I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, as much as in all riches.*15* I will think on Your Commandments and have respect to Your ways.*16* I will delight myself in Your Precepts; I will not forget Your Word.*

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                      It is extra-Biblical.

Practically speaking, this is one of those things that can easily slip from a helpful discipline to either a merit badge or a burdensome guilt-trip.

I have no case for either "should" or "should not."
                      Very insightful. I think I waver between merit badge and guilt trip a lot.

Comment

OK. I do talk to God a fair bit in the course of a day. Does it matter if I don't do that on a formal basis, first thing in the morning? If so, why?
                        My thought is that God knows every thought you have, so he is "listening in" at all times.

Comment

If you want to have a daily devotion, or a weekly one, or a time of day to meditate, they are all ways to worship God. Since worshiping God is biblical, so are devotionals.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            Just personal belief. I am unable to do more than maintain an attitude of prayer while concentrating on anything else (even that is not even close to 24 hours a day, or even all my waking hours).
                            It is rare for people to be able to do that, but it is possible.
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I spend all day every day with God.
                              Consciously?
                              If I don't have a specific devotional time, am I not spending time with God? Or am I doing it wrong?
                              You can spend any time with God. It doesn't have to be a set time, but most people find it helps.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment