Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining "Christian" or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Knowing for sure one is going to heaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's like I said: Every legalist ultimately has trouble with that verse. He demeans the law of God. Every legalist has to substitute his own law in place of God's. Every legalist becomes a gnostic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
      It's like I said: Every legalist has to substitute his own law in place of God's. Every legalist becomes a gnostic.
      I don't think I see how these 2 statements follow.

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        That is clear as mud.

No one was ever saved by Law under the Law. Everyone who was justified, even while under the covenant of the Law, were all justified by God's grace.

You say people were saved by grace under the Covenant of Law. So why, under the Covenant of Grace, does Paul say:

Romans 6:14For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

IOW, if grace was available under the Old Covenant of Law, why was it called the Covenant of Law? And what was the difference made by the New Covenant of Grace?

Comment

• Originally posted by footwasher View Post
          You say people were saved by grace under the Covenant of Law. So why, under the Covenant of Grace, does Paul say:

Romans 6:14For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
          Under the Law had a purpose,
          "Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God." -- Romans 3:19.
          And,
          "But we know that the law [is] good, if a man use it lawfully; Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine; According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust." -- 1 Timoty 1:9-11.

So remember,
          ". . . But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, [Saying], Blessed [are] they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. Blessed [is] the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
          " -- Romans 4:5-8.

". . . For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. " -- 2 Corinthians 5:21.

IOW, if grace was available under the Old Covenant of Law, why was it called the Covenant of Law? And what was the difference made by the New Covenant of Grace?
          Understand the Law has its purpose. Like a mirror to show the dirt on our faces. The promise of grace preceded the Law by 430 years, as was give to Abram.

". . . Abram [was] seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran. . . . And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the LORD, who appeared unto him. . . . " -- Genesis 12:2, 7.

"Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. And this I say, [that] the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect." -- Galatians 3:16, 17.

". . . and to thy seed . . . " -- Genesis 13:15.
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
            Under the Law had a purpose,
            "Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God." -- Romans 3:19.
            And,
            "But we know that the law [is] good, if a man use it lawfully; Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine; According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust." -- 1 Timoty 1:9-11.

So remember,
            ". . . But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, [Saying], Blessed [are] they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. Blessed [is] the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
            " -- Romans 4:5-8.

". . . For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. " -- 2 Corinthians 5:21.

Understand the Law has its purpose. Like a mirror to show the dirt on our faces. The promise of grace preceded the Law by 430 years, as was give to Abram.

". . . Abram [was] seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran. . . . And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the LORD, who appeared unto him. . . . " -- Genesis 12:2, 7.

"Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. And this I say, [that] the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect." -- Galatians 3:16, 17.

". . . and to thy seed . . . " -- Genesis 13:15.
            What is the difference being under grace as compared to being under law?

Comment

• Being under the law was a pharisaical heresy (except when performed by Jesus). Being under grace was the reality that true believers understood. The law was never intended to bring eternal life. That is the difference.

Comment

Being under the law was a pharisaical heresy (except when performed by Jesus). Being under grace was the reality that true believers understood. The law was never intended to bring eternal life. That is the difference.
                38718 claims Abraham received grace, which you equate to eternal life. Did Abraham receive eternal life?

Comment

• Of course. How does that contradict what I said? The law didn't even exist at that time. There was no possible way for someone to imagine that keeping it warranted eternal life.

Comment

Of course. How does that contradict what I said? The law didn't even exist at that time. There was no possible way for someone to imagine that keeping it warranted eternal life.
                    Then why does Luke write this:

Luke 7:28 "I say to you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John; yet he who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he."
                    Last edited by footwasher; 05-12-2014, 09:56 PM.

Comment

38718 claims Abraham received grace, which you equate to eternal life. Did Abraham receive eternal life?
                      Not in the sense of NT saints. Abraham was not born again as such. When Abraham died he entered the realm of the dead, the nether world, Sheol, Hades, Hell (the upper compartment) where all the OT saved went. (see Luke 16:19-31, Psalm 86:13, Deuteronomy 32:22.) When Jesus ascended into the heaven of heavens to be our mediator, He took all the OT saints to heaven at that time (Ephesians 4:8-10). [This interpretation is my understanding on this. As it was some of them were risen from the dead too, at the time of Jesus' resurrection (Matthew 27:51, 52).]
                      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• I disagree. Abraham clearly had eternal life, and I also disagree that he went anywhere other than heaven. As far as what Footwasher's verse means, I am not certain because it is a vague verse. Honestly, I can think of at least two interpretations, and I am just not sure, which is why I didn't answer.

Comment

• Last edited by footwasher; 05-22-2014, 02:56 AM.

Comment

• Where does any of that say that Abraham lacked eternal life, or did not go to heaven?

Comment

I disagree. Abraham clearly had eternal life, and I also disagree that he went anywhere other than heaven. As far as what Footwasher's verse means, I am not certain because it is a vague verse. Honestly, I can think of at least two interpretations, and I am just not sure, which is why I didn't answer.
                              Abraham did not have eternal life in the same way we as Christians have eternal life today.

First note, Abraham was in Hades the upper compartment. Not heaven (Luke 16:19-31).
                              Second note, Abraham had not yet received the promise that we as born again Christians receive (Hebrews 11:39, Luke 24:49).
                              Third, Abraham was not dead to God (Luke 20:37, 38).

Abraham was justified and was a saved person, and has eternal life. Before the ascension of Christ, was in Hades, and now in Heaven. Where we know when we die we go to Heaven to be with Christ (2 Corinthians 5:8).

If you have a better understanding than my understanding explain on. Thanks.

Comment

God saves:

1 Corinthians 6:11
                                And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

The types, stages of salvation , listed are , washing, sanctification and justification.
                                Agreed it is God who does the saving. The washing is by God's word. (John 15:3, John 17:17. Ephesians 5:26. Romans 10:17. 2 Thessalonians 2:13.) Sanctification precedes belief in the truth. (James 1:18.)

Comment