This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    I have questions, but I can't deny the possibility. If Abbot Aimilianos had given an open acknowledgement, the questions would not arise.
    Well, devout people tend to be rather reticent regarding miracles worked through them; they'd far rather the attention be focused on God than themselves.

ETA: There are also accounts of bilocation involving Catholic saints, which is mostly what I found when I searched.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Well, devout people tend to be rather reticent regarding miracles worked through them; they'd far rather the attention be focused on God than themselves.
      I appreciate the sentiment, but find it difficult to justify. It smacks too much of hiding one's light under a bushel.

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I appreciate the sentiment, but find it difficult to justify. It smacks too much of hiding one's light under a bushel.
        I dunno about that. Jesus himself often admonished those he had healed to keep it hush-hush. Word has a way of getting out.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I dunno about that. Jesus himself often admonished those he had healed to keep it hush-hush. Word has a way of getting out.
          On that --- I wonder how many people Jesus told to keep quiet, and they DID, so we never heard about them.

After all, John tells us that Jesus did many things that weren't written down, and that could fill whole libraries.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The particular event in view would be the equivalent of Jesus keeping his part in the healing of the man who had been born blind secret from that man.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• God does the healing and miracles. We are just lucky if we get to be his instrument. Us bragging we healed someone would be like a typewriter claiming it wrote a novel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                God does the healing and miracles. We are just lucky if we get to be his instrument. Us bragging we healed someone would be like a typewriter claiming it wrote a novel.
                Merely instruments.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Merely instruments.
                  Indeed. Of course, failing to acknowledge that God did something through us might be considered unseemly, any putative show of piety notwithstanding.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Indeed. Of course, failing to acknowledge that God did something through us might be considered unseemly, any putative show of piety notwithstanding.
                    It's just that some of them appear to think they're a Stradivarius while others see themselves as being more like a kazoo.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's just that some of them appear to think they're a Stradivarius while others see themselves as being more like a kazoo.
                      No doubt there are people who claim that God personally delivers sermons through people, whether themselves or others.

Meanwhile, Jesus claimed that believers would be granted the authority to do, not that God would do things through them.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Those who are truly holy tend to see themselves as the most broken; the closer one is to God, the more clearly one can see one's own faults.

sigpic

Comment

Those who are truly holy tend to see themselves as the most broken; the closer one is to God, the more clearly one can see one's own faults.
                          For the most part. but I'm severely broken in ways you can only imagine, but nobody in their right mind would ever regard me as holy.

Comment

For the most part. but I'm severely broken in ways you can only imagine, but nobody in their right mind would ever regard me as holy.
                            My older goddaughter is severely broken (she was a crack addict for several years, and her body is messed up six ways from Sunday), but God still uses her to minister to others.
                            sigpic

Comment

My older goddaughter is severely broken (she was a crack addict for several years, and her body is messed up six ways from Sunday), but God still uses her to minister to others.

Comment

On the face of it, that runs counter to the concept of Theosis.
                                "Was broken and would still be broken but for God's intervention" seems to align more closely with the concept.

cf 1Corinthians 6:11 (among others)
                                Last edited by tabibito; 07-28-2023, 11:31 AM.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment