Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining "Christian" or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Being All Things to All People?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being All Things to All People?

I had a rather unusual situation come up that I think has relevance to Christian practice in general which is why I'm posting this here.

In 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 (NASB) Paul writes:

19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. 23 I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it.

Now I don't think I have the same calling to evangelism that some Christians have but I love the Lord Jesus and so I do feel the need to be open about my faith.

Now here's the situation and how it pertains to the quoted passage above--there is someone I know who isn't a Christian but is basically a follower of what I guess you could call nature religions. Despite the hostility towards Christianity on their part I've tried to be a good friend and someone who they can discuss religion and spirituality with.

At any rate, out of the blue they had proposed to me an exchange of sorts--I'd come to one of their religious meetings and they'd come to church with me.

The relevance to the above passage pertains to being all things to all people for the sake of the Gospel but herein lies a dilemma: do I go to their religious meeting with them so that they will do what they would probably never do and step foot in a church or do I refuse since to do so would mean compromising my faith, if not in actuality, then in appearance.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or similar stories where they were caught in a dilemma. Or perhaps this is a false dilemma and there is a right answer (or solution) to it but I just can't see it.

Do you try to be all things to all people so as to win some and what does that look like?
    Last edited by Paula; 06-21-2016, 09:31 PM.

Jesus didn't worry about the "appearance" of being seen with "tax-gatherers and sinners."
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with observing a pagan service. However, I also don't think there is anything very useful about dragging an unbeliever to church.

Comment

If you have already explained the gospel to her in a manner she understands, I would simply continue being her friend and leave things be. Perhaps this 'out of the blue' request to go to church with you on the condition you attend one of her meetings is an indication of interest - but you don't know, so just ask her. It might just be a "you have your path, I have mine, we can both share and appreciate one another and our choices". If that's what it is, then I'd just decline and continue the friendship as it were.

I wouldn't worry about appearing to compromise your faith by attending a pagan ritual. Who's watching? A weak brother or sister from behind the trees? If they do happen to see you in that context, simply explain what was going on. If you feel that you'll be adversely affected spiritually, or that starts to happen while you are there, simply leave.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
          However, I also don't think there is anything very useful about dragging an unbeliever to church.
          She isn't being "dragged" to church; she actually proposed going on her own.

Maybe this could be thought of like Paul carefully studying and observing the pagan idols at the Areopagus in preparation for his planned evangelism.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
            I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with observing a pagan service. However, I also don't think there is anything very useful about dragging an unbeliever to church.
            Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
            If you have already explained the gospel to her in a manner she understands, I would simply continue being her friend and leave things be. Perhaps this 'out of the blue' request to go to church with you on the condition you attend one of her meetings is an indication of interest - but you don't know, so just ask her. It might just be a "you have your path, I have mine, we can both share and appreciate one another and our choices". If that's what it is, then I'd just decline and continue the friendship as it were.

I wouldn't worry about appearing to compromise your faith by attending a pagan ritual. Who's watching? A weak brother or sister from behind the trees? If they do happen to see you in that context, simply explain what was going on. If you feel that you'll be adversely affected spiritually, or that starts to happen while you are there, simply leave.

Hope that helps.
            That was helpful, to both of you, so thank you. So neither of you sees anything, in and of itself, wrong with attending a pagan ceremony as an observer. I guess I am just trying to figure out where the line is drawn. I might be a weaker sister in Christ myself.

In her case, I am pretty certain she isn't personally interested in Christianity but rather this is an extension of what we currently have, which is a mutual exchange of religious ideas. I don't want to let an opportunity slide, but since the majority of a service is worship (singing and praying), aside from her seeing what a Christian service is like, I am a bit concerned on my part what useful evangelistic function it would serve. But then I could be wrong which is why I am mulling this over and trying to figure out what the best decision would be.

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            She isn't being "dragged" to church; she actually proposed going on her own.

Maybe this could be thought of like Paul carefully studying and observing the pagan idols at the Areopagus in preparation for his planned evangelism.
            Aside from sharing my faith with them, it would probably be just me standing back and observing. I am not sure how much of a comparison to Paul's experience it was, since I am pretty sure Paul never went into any pagan temples but rather, my impression was that Paul was observing paganism being enacted in the open. Not sure if this is any meaningful difference through. Paul clearly knew enough about paganism to quote poetry, which meant he must have studied it at some point. To a degree it is important to know the real world religions people practice rather than the academic versions. You made a good point though.
            Last edited by Paula; 06-27-2016, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paula View Post
              I am not sure how much of a comparison to Paul's experience it was, since I am pretty sure Paul never went into any pagan temples but rather, my impression was that Paul was observing paganism being enacted in the open. Not sure if this is any meaningful difference through. Paul clearly knew enough about paganism to quote poetry, which meant he must have studied it at some point.
              Paul showed up in several pagan cities, Rome in particular. I doubt narrowing the venues to paganistic places would make a significant difference.

Comment