Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Free Windows 10 upgrade when it releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    No, they are too entrenched in Windows, and there's no justifiable business reason to do so. Windows has done a good job of ensuring that.

I remember when Apple was launching a huge campaign to take over the education business, hoping that these kids would experience apple computers in school, and want to use them when they graduated and got jobs. The corporate world doesn't work like that.

it doesn't help that when companies that use windows want to move to linux, microsoft ends up giving them free copies of windows.
    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I support the :
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I will probably leave windows 7 on my main laptop and file server. I do need a new table though, so I think I will get the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 when it comes out in October. It will have Windows 10 on it.
      Yeah, I am TOTALLY happy with windows 7, and it will continue to be supported for quite a while yet.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It looks like the retail release is already available for users of the Technical/Insider Preview via its Windows Update; just downloaded and installed it on my VirtualBox VM today.
        ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
          It looks like the retail release is already available for users of the Technical/Insider Preview via its Windows Update; just downloaded and installed it on my VirtualBox VM today.
          Aren't you so smart!

Let us know what you think!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
            eh, Linux is generally more secure then windows and also easier to secure... but I do get your point.
            eh, I see that all the time, and I'm not a Linux guy, but I work in IT, so I'm not completely unfamiliar with it. The guys I know that are more versed in it have opinions that seem to range from: that it's mostly a wash to maybe an edge to Linux, but not massively so....

you still can have encrypted HDD's and the like with Linux, although I don't know if you guys are required to use a certain standard.
            Oh sure! I realize that, but, say you have a company that's worldwide, with 40,000+ employees, with all the Hipaa standards to comply with, retraining of all your IT staff, integration with legacy systems that were probably originally written in the 70's or 80's using, across multiple business units...your talking a lot of cash for not THAT much more security. ISTM, that if you have a team of dedicated hackers who want into what ever you are running, they will probably (eventually) succeed...
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
              eh, I see that all the time, and I'm not a Linux guy, but I work in IT, so I'm not completely unfamiliar with it. The guys I know that are more versed in it have opinions that seem to range from: that it's mostly a wash to maybe an edge to Linux, but not massively so....

Oh sure! I realize that, but, say you have a company that's worldwide, with 40,000+ employees, with all the Hipaa standards to comply with, retraining of all your IT staff, integration with legacy systems that were probably originally written in the 70's or 80's using, across multiple business units...your talking a lot of cash for not THAT much more security. ISTM, that if you have a team of dedicated hackers who want into what ever you are running, they will probably (eventually) succeed...
              yeah, IIRC some places still use DOS.
              "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
              -Unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              I support the :
              sigpic

Comment

And UNIX!!!!

Comment

We JUST upgraded all our pc's to Win 7 (only because MS stopped supporting Win XP), took over a year, and cost who knows how much money. It took 2 years of prep to make sure all the applications would work. Actually, several of our legacy systems couldn't be make to work and had to be replaced...which took even more time. We're still using Office 2010, and most of our app's still require java 6 or below to work...Change is a beast for the bottom line.
                  "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    And UNIX!!!!
                    yep, when I worked for Hewlett Packard, all of our testing software we ran was HP-UX. We were had only one program before I left that was a Windows based product.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                      We JUST upgraded all our pc's to Win 7 (only because MS stopped supporting Win XP), took over a year, and cost who knows how much money. It took 2 years of prep to make sure all the applications would work. Actually, several of our legacy systems couldn't be make to work and had to be replaced...which took even more time. We're still using Office 2010, and most of our app's still require java 6 or below to work...Change is a beast for the bottom line.
                      This is why most startups follow the agile methodology.
                      -Unknown

I support the :
                      sigpic

Comment

Subscribing
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I'm actually forward to it and Visual Studio 2015 (been on the road since that time was released so not downloaded it yet)

But then I'm a .NET developer
                          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

So does windows 10 have a way built in to run a virtual copy of windows 7? Or would I have to install something like Virtualbox?

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                              I'm actually forward to it and Visual Studio 2015 (been on the road since that time was released so not downloaded it yet)

But then I'm a .NET developer
                              Visual Studio? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

/sarcasm
                              -Unknown

I support the :
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                So does windows 10 have a way built in to run a virtual copy of windows 7? Or would I have to install something like Virtualbox?
                                It looks like Windows 10 Pro still has the virtual machine manager Hyper-V, which comes with 8/8.1 Pro. That would likely run Windows 7 for you, though it doesn't include Windows 7; you'd still have to install your own copy of it. (Hopefully I'm understanding your question right. )
                                ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment