Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Thumb drives at Scamazon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumb drives at Scamazon

Validrive -- Free GRC utility.

It turned out this drive only contained storage at its front. After becoming aware of this significant problem in the industry, I purchased 12 inexpensive 1 & 2 terabyte thumb drives from Amazon... and every one of them was a bogus fraudulent drive.

At first this might seem like a minor annoyance: You purchase a 1 or 2 terabyte drive at a bargain price and you receive a 64GB drive instead. But that's NOT what happens here!

The drive appears to be the 1 or 2 terabyte drive you purchased. You plug it into your computer and everything looks fine. You can even copy files to the drive; as many as you want. And when you look at the drive's contents the files are there. But what's insidious is that the files' contents may have never been stored.

These fraudulent drives contain just enough storage – typically 64GB – to convincingly hold the file system's directory listing. But once its first 64GB of storage space has been filled, the contents of any additional files will not actually be stored. Their names, dates and sizes will be stored in the directory at the front of the drive. Everything will appear to be fine. But the files' contents will be blank because they were “stored” where no storage exists.

Operating systems do not verify that the data they write was actually written. They rely upon the honesty of storage devices to report errors. If a write error occurs, then the operating system will rewrite the data elsewhere. But these deliberately fraudulent drives never report any problems – they just silently discard any data written where there's no storage.

Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Yeah that has been going on for years now. Don't buy off-brand flash drives or SD cards. Or any off-brand hard drive/ssd. Your data is too important to trust some chinese knockoff or scam drive. Even if these drives are the actual size they claim, they are usually such poor quality that you are likely to lose your data soon after putting it on the drive. Another scam is selling External SSD drives and instead of an actual solid state drive, they just stick an SD card in the drive enclosure which is way slower and less reliable than an actual SSD.

TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. If the prices looks too good to be true, it usually is.

At least with Amazon you can complain and get your money back and they will usually boot the seller, but they just come back under a new name. Stick to brand name products like Kingston, Crucial, Sandisk, PNY

Facecrook is even worse for advertising scam drives. Never buy anything from a Facebook ad.

Comment

Earlier this year when we had to get a new network drive (2 TB) I was also looking at USB flash drives to find one which we could use to back it up once a month, and I came across a bunch of those bogus 2 TB ones. I might have gotten one except that every one I looked at had nearly all negative reviews. I'm glad now that instead we got an external 2 TB hard drive from Western Digital for backup.
      ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

And this kind of discussion reminds me that, years ago, I paid over $2,000 each for two 200 MEGAbyte hard drives for a Novell Server.

(prices started coming down significantly after that, but I needed these drives for a RAID array for a customer)
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When I had to replace my computer a few years back the tech told me to get something so they could back everything up. I found a thumb drive at Best Buys that fit the bill but was half the price of the others. The cashier even remarked at the great deal I got.

Fortunately it worked, but now I wonder if it has degraded as Sparko mentioned.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I've noticed that, since I've been using One Drive (and Dropbox before that) my need for a thumb drive has pretty much vanished. I still keep on on my key chain 'just in case', but I can't remember the last time I used it.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
              Earlier this year when we had to get a new network drive (2 TB) I was also looking at USB flash drives to find one which we could use to back it up once a month, and I came across a bunch of those bogus 2 TB ones. I might have gotten one except that every one I looked at had nearly all negative reviews. I'm glad now that instead we got an external 2 TB hard drive from Western Digital for backup.
              If you look at the known brand name flash drives, like Sandisk, you will see that they don't have 2TB flash drives. If a major manufacturer doesn't sell flash drives that large, that is a clue that any 2TB flash drives from an off brand are fake. Right now the largest sandisk flash drives I see are 1TB and they cost around $100. I do see 1TB microSD cards for about $80 from sandisk. but no 2TB

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I've noticed that, since I've been using One Drive (and Dropbox before that) my need for a thumb drive has pretty much vanished. I still keep on on my key chain 'just in case', but I can't remember the last time I used it.
                I use google drive mostly. I have a free dropbox with about 12GB of space, and whatever the free Onedrive allows. I use all three to back each other up, along with my 12TB NAS.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  When I had to replace my computer a few years back the tech told me to get something so they could back everything up. I found a thumb drive at Best Buys that fit the bill but was half the price of the others. The cashier even remarked at the great deal I got.

Fortunately it worked, but now I wonder if it has degraded as Sparko mentioned.
                  Maybe copy the data elsewhere, like dropbox or google drive to be sure. Like I said above I like to keep multiple backup copies just in case. I have had even brand name flashdrives and hard drives fail after sitting on a shelf for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I use google drive mostly. I have a free dropbox with about 12GB of space, and whatever the free Onedrive allows. I use all three to back each other up, along with my 12TB NAS.
                    I like One Drive (or other online storage) because I can access it from any computer pretty much anywhere in the world just by logging in - as opposed to forgetting to put a thumb drive in my pocket, or not have my keys with me.
                    And, yeah - multiple places.

Have you ever used multcloud? (not multi-cloud)

I use it to sync data back and forth from various online data storage accounts.

Comment

Maybe copy the data elsewhere, like dropbox or google drive to be sure. Like I said above I like to keep multiple backup copies just in case. I have had even brand name flashdrives and hard drives fail after sitting on a shelf for years.
                      Some day I might figurate how to do all of that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Scripture Verse: Hesitations

3:15 Blessed is the pessimist for he hath made backups.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

I like One Drive (or other online storage) because I can access it from any computer pretty much anywhere in the world just by logging in - as opposed to forgetting to put a thumb drive in my pocket, or not have my keys with me.

Well, lookie there, they're having a sale....

multcloud.png

I signed up when it was $99 one time for lifetime unlimited!

Comment

No never heard of it. But my NAS has a similar app on it, where it can sync various cloud accounts and back them up to my NAS.

Comment

No never heard of it. But my NAS has a similar app on it, where it can sync various cloud accounts and back them up to my NAS.
                              Cool - which one are you using? I used to use a Buffalo NAS.

Comment