Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Cutting the Cable --- or, um... Satellite!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So CP. how are you getting internet? DSL?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      So CP. how are you getting internet? DSL?
      DSL of sorts, yes --- ATT calls it "uverse" which was WAY more trouble than the DSL I had, but they said it was new and improved. After MULTIPLE visits to my house, and swapping out the modem 3 times, they finally gave me a big fancy modem and all problems disappeared --- 6M down easy.

I started off with ISDN --- remember that? "It STILL Does Nothing".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not available in my area....
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Not available in my area....
          Well you do live in Alabamastan, the third world country of the USA.

Comment

Well you do live in Alabamastan, the third world country of the USA.

This from the guy who has a tinfoil kitchen....
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

This from the guy who has a tinfoil kitchen....
              I told you, super conductors.

Comment

Yeah, super conductors all labeled 'Reynold's Wrap'.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Yeah, super conductors all labeled 'Reynold's Wrap'.
                  That would be aluminum foil and not tinfoil.

Comment

That would be aluminum foil and not tinfoil.

A rose by any other name... would be as goofy...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

A rose by any other name... would be as goofy...

Comment

One thing I dislike about Amazon Prime video is finding something good to watch. Their rating system sucks. Seems like most stuff has 4 or more stars, even the crappy junk. At least with Netflix, the star ratings are somehow related to my viewing patterns, as well as their recommendations to me. It's not perfect but better than Amazon's. The more you rate stuff on Netflix, the better it gets at predicting what you like.

Comment

What you got against tinfoil?
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

In other news, Amazon just released their prime video app for all android devices (used to be just on kindle fire)

On my tablet it is integrated with the Amazon shopping app as of the last update.
                            https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndowshop&hl=en

on some it will be a standalone app
                            https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...zon.avod&hl=en

Comment

I am very pleased with Roku, so I bought two more today.

I'll probably call DirecTV this morning and tell them to kill all the extra HD channels they made me buy when I switched to "Whole Home DVR".... then I'll cancel all the Whole Home DVR except for ONE DVR that I can pipe all through the house and garage apartment (like I did in the old days) while my wife continues to evaluate whether she can adapt.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                OK, So I have my Roku set up, using the Netflix and Amazon Prime accounts I was already paying for but seldom used, and I can operate everything with just TWO remotes - the TV's own remote, and the Roku remote.

Gonna make sure Mrs. CP is happy with our choices, and if she gives the green light, I get to call DirecTV and put up with all their, "but if you stay with DirecTV, we'll give you $20 off a month from our insanely overpriced programming...."
                                CP, which model Roku did you go with and why? IOW, what are the advantages of using a Roku over just using your pc to stream?
                                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment