Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 10 - What a BULLY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the free update runs out at the end of July.

If you want to update for free but are not ready to do it yet, you might want to download windows 10 now and at least then you can install it later from a flash drive since the download wont be available.

go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...?wa=wsignin1.0

and download the media creation tool under "Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO?" and then follow the instructions.

You will then have a flash drive with windows 10 on it that you can install at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
      Will a terabyte of storage space be small in twenty years?
      You may need to get a petabyte drive before then.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        You may need to get a petabyte drive before then.
        Meh. Even with bloatware, storage space size has far outstripped program size for years now.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          That's the $64,000 question. If you're like me, you have a lot of programs that are a pain to install. Therefore, a periodic (at least) image of your hard drive is a great idea. Many people only backup their data (if that) but then they can't find the install disks to install the programs.

The kind of backup Sparko is talking about (I think) does an initial "everything", then continues to backup only the changes, so that, at any given point in time, you can restore the whole programs/data situation.

An "image" of your hard drive is, of course, a "snapshot in time". The incremental backup refreshes that so it's ready to be used to do a "restore to previous state" with a much more current result.

That "backup disk" only contains the programs and OS that shipped with your computer, I bet. It returns your computer to a "factory new" state, WITHOUT all the security updates, service packs, and what not that may have accumulated since your computer was built.
          Um, how do you do the kind Sparky was talking about?
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            the free update runs out at the end of July.

If you want to update for free but are not ready to do it yet, you might want to download windows 10 now and at least then you can install it later from a flash drive since the download wont be available.

go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...?wa=wsignin1.0

and download the media creation tool under "Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO?" and then follow the instructions.

You will then have a flash drive with windows 10 on it that you can install at any time.
            FYI: the site says use a blank drive. That may be obvious to the more tech savvy but us wannabes need things spelled out.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              FYI: the site says use a blank drive. That may be obvious to the more tech savvy but us wannabes need things spelled out.
              an empty usb drive.

Comment

an empty usb drive.
                Thank you!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Well, I just had a notification earlier on my Windows 7 compy about Windows Update wanting me to shut down so it could install a couple of updates, so I let it do so. But when I powered back up again, I got a lovely full-screen notice saying that time was nearly up for getting the free upgrade to Windows 10.

I gladly clicked the option to have it stop notifying me.
                  ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30947...nterprise.html

Found this article, and now I'm concerned and confused. Will Windows users have to start paying a monthly fee just to have to keep using Windows? I sure hope not.
                    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                      http://www.pcworld.com/article/30947...nterprise.html

Found this article, and now I'm concerned and confused. Will Windows users have to start paying a monthly fee just to have to keep using Windows? I sure hope not.
                      I suppose it's possible eventually, but this is for the commercial version of Windows 10. I don't think they can legally make you start paying a monthly fee for what you already have, although they might eventually make upgrades contingent on paying a fee. If you prefer Windows 7, stick with it, although MS will likely stop supporting it rather sooner than they do Windows 10. If you think you might want to upgrade any time soon, do it now while it's free.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        I suppose it's possible eventually, but this is for the commercial version of Windows 10. I don't think they can legally make you start paying a monthly fee for what you already have, although they might eventually make upgrades contingent on paying a fee.
                        That is what many people expect. M$ has stated that Windows 10 will be the "last version of Windows." The implication is that going forward, those who use an M$ OS will essentially be "renting" it as a "service." It will continuously update automagically, so the concepts of version number and Service Packs will be irrelevant.

See here.

If you prefer Windows 7, stick with it, although MS will likely stop supporting it rather sooner than they do Windows 10. If you think you might want to upgrade any time soon, do it now while it's free.
                        "Mainstream" Win7 support already ended a few years ago. "Extended" support continues for about three and a half more years. Clickety clickety.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Okay, so, if Win 7 is supported another 3 years or so by then I'll be needing a new machine which will come with whatever so is there any reason to actually bother?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

an empty usb drive.
                            How big?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Okay, so, if Win 7 is supported another 3 years or so by then I'll be needing a new machine which will come with whatever so is there any reason to actually bother?
                              One of these days, I'll get around to formally retiring my Win98 machine.
                              sigpic

Comment

I'm holding out as long as possible because I don't like the implications of the Windows 10 model, and of some of the wording of the EULA. I'd like to switch to Linux -- Zorrin, Mint, whatever -- but no matter what the Linvangelists have claimed for the past 15 years or so, it's still just not ready.
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment