Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 10 - What a BULLY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Windows 1 - 1985

Always liked it too

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      Windows 3.1 was the one that had that skiing game with the abominable snow man/yeti, right? The first PC our family used had Windows 95 (Although we also had some kind of Amiga before that), but I remember playing the aforementioned skiing game on our relatives' computer and I think what they had on that computer was 3.1.
      I don't think that game came with it. If I remember, I'll check when I get home; I have Win 3.11 installed on an old PC.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        I don't think that game came with it. If I remember, I'll check when I get home; I have Win 3.11 installed on an old PC.
        It seems like there was an accessory pack that came with some promotional versions of Win 3.11. 3.11 was the one that was touted to be the "home network" version - it was a nightmare, because NOWHERE in the documentation did it EXCLUDE Arcnet as one of the supported infrastructures... HOWEVER, when I called Microsoft and griped about how my entire Thanksgiving Weekend got ruined because of this, they FLOODED me with all kinds of free Microsoft products!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think you're right. It was made for Windows 3.x, but it didn't come with the OS itself, it was part of the "Windows Entertainment Pack" according to wiki.

Comment

I think you're right. It was made for Windows 3.x, but it didn't come with the OS itself, it was part of the "Windows Entertainment Pack" according to wiki.
            That sounds right. I played it on Win 95, but we had other games that were installed on Win 3.11. Some of the better ones booted from DOS.

Dark Castle is the first game I remember playing, but that wasn't on Windows.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Windows 3.1 was the one that had that skiing game with the abominable snow man/yeti, right? The first PC our family used had Windows 95 (Although we also had some kind of Amiga before that), but I remember playing the aforementioned skiing game on our relatives' computer and I think what they had on that computer was 3.1.
              Ski Free. That game was awesome. Once did a jump so long that 3 yetis came, and ate each other then my character.

Comment

I went ahead and upgraded to 10, only because I figured MS would, without warning, stop supporting Win7 and simultaneously start charging for an upgrade. It's not like I was in love with Win7 anyway.
                "Mainstream" support for 7 ended over a year ago. "Security" updates persist until 2020. See here, inter alia. However, this does not seem to jibe with my own experience. I continue to receive updates not labeled "Security"; as I suspect most of them are attempts to weasel Win 10 onto my system, I reject them.

My objection to 10 is that I love 7, and I'm concerned about the Win 10 EULA, privacy, "phone-home," and "Windows-as-service" issues raised by various people.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Always liked it too
                  Oops. I was thinking Windows 95. That was the one we had at work.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                    Ski Free. That game was awesome. Once did a jump so long that 3 yetis came, and ate each other then my character.
                    http://www.onemorelevel.com/game/ski_free_remake

Comment

The music in that remake is seriously annoying, and I can't find a way to shut it off.

You can download a 32-bit remake from the original creator of the game from this website:

http://ski.ihoc.net/
                      Last edited by JonathanL; 06-07-2016, 08:16 AM.

Comment

We didn't get any Windows for a long time in the 80s...the first machine I ever got to use then was an IBM DisplayWriter which was a decent word processor with 8 1/2 inch floppies that held a whopping 100 pages worth of text each! I'm trying to remember the first Win version we actually got. 3.11 was the first network one, wasn't it? I believe we got the version before that. I do recall that war nearly broke out when the network version was rolled out...nobody liked it.
                        Last edited by DesertBerean; 06-07-2016, 11:26 AM. Reason: got my tech history mixed up - 100 pages
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

OK, cloned my main laptop's hard drive to a bigger one* using AOMEI Backupper software -- I love that program! -- and successfully swapped hard drives....

now, downloading Win 10

PRAY, CHURCH!!!!

1T solid state!
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Will a terabyte of storage space be small in twenty years?
                            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                              Will a terabyte of storage space be small in twenty years?
                              Sure, but the laptop will be obsolete in 2.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                                We didn't get any Windows for a long time in the 80s...the first machine I ever got to use then was an IBM DisplayWriter which was a decent word processor with 8 1/2 inch floppies that held a whopping 100 pages worth of text each! I'm trying to remember the first Win version we actually got. 3.11 was the first network one, wasn't it? I believe we got the version before that. I do recall that war nearly broke out when the network version was rolled out...nobody liked it.
                                Usually an ethernet networking software from Novell or Lantronix was a better bet in those early days.

Comment