Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Underrated Horror Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
    Looking forward to it.

I have heard that from a few people. I have been on the fence on whether it's different enough that it's worth seeing the original (my sub bias is showing).
    Understood. They're not super different from one another, but enough so that it makes it worth it. I dragged out watching Let Me In for a long time after watching Let the Right One In, cause I figured it'd be too same-y, but in the end I didn't regret it.

And I wonder why American remakes of foreign horror movies are so bad? I remember seeing the American remake of The Ring and thinking it was alright. Then I saw the Japanese original and it was like a totally different experience. The remake lost almost all of the atmosphere the original had. I don't know why that gets lost in translation.
    American pop-horror is so dang cliche. And studios seem to think that Americans like things loud and over the top which robs us of good quiet set-up atmosphere. But the last few American remakes I've seen have been better than they had any right being including Let Me In, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and Quarantine, though I heard the recent Oldboy remake was a disaster, not that I'm going to watch it anytime soon though since I hated the original.

Comment

I watched the original Oldboy, and my thought at the end was something like...what on earth? And not in a good way. I'd been given the impression that the revelation at the end was all sorts of shocking, but I thought it was just kind of dumb.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift
        Understood. They're not super different from one another, but enough so that it makes it worth it. I dragged out watching Let Me In for a long time after watching Let the Right One In, cause I figured it'd be too same-y, but in the end I didn't regret it.
        Alright, you convinced me. I'll check out the original. I am sure it's as good as everyone says.

Originally posted by Adrift
        American pop-horror is so dang cliche. And studios seem to think that Americans like things loud and over the top which robs us of good quiet set-up atmosphere. But the last few American remakes I've seen have been better than they had any right being including Let Me In, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and Quarantine, though I heard the recent Oldboy remake was a disaster, not that I'm going to watch it anytime soon though since I hated the original.
        So true. It's sad that if you want a movie with good, slow-burn atmosphere, you won't be getting it in an American horror remake. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was a very good remake and Quarantine shocked me with not only how good it was, but it's one of the few "found footage" movies I actually enjoy. I never saw either Oldboy movies. Wasn't Spike Lee a director on the remake or something? I have no idea why anyone would let Spike Lee near that type of movie. Summer of Sam was also a Spike Lee trap.
        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

I need to check out some of these, especially your lists, Adrift. A bunch there I haven't seen.

Comment

I thought of another: Grabbers. This is much more a comedy than a horror, but worth mentioning. Here's the imdb description: "When an island off the coast of Ireland is invaded by bloodsucking aliens, the heroes discover that getting drunk is the only way to survive."

Comment

I just remembered the title of a movie I've been trying to remember since Jesse started this thread: Resolution. It's the kind of movie that you should watch knowing as little about it as possible. It's...different, and surprisingly funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                I thought of another: Grabbers. This is much more a comedy than a horror, but worth mentioning. Here's the imdb description: "When an island off the coast of Ireland is invaded by bloodsucking aliens, the heroes discover that getting drunk is the only way to survive."

There is a game called Zombeer that is basically the same thing.

Comment

Oldboy has a HUUUGE fan following that...you know...I guess I get, but in my opinion it's just so derivative. I felt throughout the film that Park Chan-wook was trying so hard to be Tarantino-ish. Imitation isn't necessarily a bad thing, but instead of coming off cool and stylistic, it came off ham-fisted. The irony of course is that Tarantino is imitating someone or something in all of his films, but when you're copying Tarantino who is copying some 70s exploitation or grindhouse film, it becomes a copy of a copy, and it's meaningless. Also, and I know people love him, but I just can not get over Choi Min‑sik's over the top acting. He is trying SO hard to channel modern Western serious actors like Gary Oldman, and Robert De Niro, and Harvey Keitel that I can't watch him without wanting to laugh half the time as he attempts another impression. It drives me nuts. In both Oldboy as well as his other work, but particularly I Saw the Devil.

To me, Oldboy is the type of action film that teenage and college kids think is exciting and super cool, but deep, you know, because it's Korean, and the plot takes unexpected (in my opinion, contrived) turns. I just found it silly, and a bit childish. It's sorta like this generation's Clockwork Orange, cept not as classy.
                  Last edited by Adrift; 08-12-2015, 05:38 PM.

Comment

I thought Oculus was pretty good. A movie about a truly messed up mirror.
                    Also, Pontypool is strange and worth checking out.

Comment

I thought Oculus was pretty good. A movie about a truly messed up mirror.
                      Also, Pontypool is strange and also worth checking out.
                      Yeah, I liked Oculus as well. I don't think it did well in theaters, but it's exactly the creepy type of supernatural thriller that I love. Pontypool was cool too, but I feel I've seen that whole set-up a few too many times in horror. A lot of people really seem to like it though. I thought it was Ok.

Comment

I just remembered the title of a movie I've been trying to remember since Jesse started this thread: Resolution. It's the kind of movie that you should watch knowing as little about it as possible. It's...different, and surprisingly funny.
                        I don't remember that. What's it about?

Nah, checking it out on IMDB I remember it now. And yeah, for the budget it certainly was entertaining. Good stuff.

Comment

Oculus is on my to see list

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Fun film. Sort of a Cthulhu comedy in a way.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              Fun film. Sort of a Cthulhu comedy in a way.
                              Yeah, that's exactly it. I was surprised at how much I liked it. Given the description and the cover, I expected something terrible.

Has anyone seen Black Mirror? It's a miniseries of sorts, not a movie, and it's not exactly a horror. It's sort of like a more realistic, darker Twilight Zone. The very first episode of this is actually very disturbing, given what it doesn't show. Most later episodes aren't that dark--they really started that show with a doozy of a first episode.

Comment

Yeah, that's exactly it. I was surprised at how much I liked it. Given the description and the cover, I expected something terrible.

Has anyone seen Black Mirror? It's a miniseries of sorts, not a movie, and it's not exactly a horror. It's sort of like a more realistic, darker Twilight Zone. The very first episode of this is actually very disturbing, given what it doesn't show. Most later episodes aren't that dark--they really started that show with a doozy of a first episode.
                                Yep. I love Black Mirror. what season are they on right now? It's only like 3 episodes a year isn't it? Think I watched at least 2 seasons.

Comment