Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Underrated Horror Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    I actually liked William Katt from the made for TV Perry Mason movies.

He's the son of the late Barbara Hale.

....and no, I don't watch much horror, but I'll try to think of something...
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      Yeah, its one of those "so bad its good" films that come up on just about every cult cheeseball horror movie list.
      That makes me think of the "Atrack of the Killer Tomatoes"....

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
        That makes me think of the "Atrack of the Killer Tomatoes"....
        That is one movie who's cult status I have yet to understand. I've watched it, I still don't get it.
        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
          That is one movie who's cult status I have yet to understand. I've watched it, I still don't get it.
          It's just so absurd. I love it, but haven't watched it in ages.

Did watch an interesting horror film last night though.

We Are Still Here

This is a very low budget supernatural horror. It has very low budget FX, and some subpar acting, but it's a genuinely decent horror film. It's pretty gory too, which is somewhat unique in the supernatural horror subgenre. It feels like it's going for sort of an Amityville meets Evil Dead thing. Doesn't quite get to the level of either, but, again, very decent.

Comment

It's just so absurd. I love it, but haven't watched it in ages.

Did watch an interesting horror film last night though.

We Are Still Here

This is a very low budget supernatural horror. It has very low budget FX, and some subpar acting, but it's a genuinely decent horror film. It's pretty gory too, which is somewhat unique in the supernatural horror subgenre. It feels like it's going for sort of an Amityville meets Evil Dead thing. Doesn't quite get to the level of either, but, again, very decent.
            Oooh. That sounds interesting. Amityville meets Evil Dead sounds like an interesting mix. I see in the poster it's going to be at SXSW 2016? A lot of pretty decent horror has come out of there. Putting this on my list.
            "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Probably not gonna be in your alley but I watched Vincent Price in Shock last night. Classified as a mystery but more of a thriller. Mild by modern standards but I found the psychological angle interesting.
              Thanks for reminding me. I have been wanting to watch more Price movies but haven't had the time. I should take a night and do a Price marathon. He's sorely missed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                Thanks for reminding me. I have been wanting to watch more Price movies but haven't had the time. I should take a night and do a Price marathon. He's sorely missed.
                For Vincent Price, I like The Bat.

Of course I watched it a LONG time ago, and I was pretty young then. It might not have held up well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                  For Vincent Price, I like The Bat.

Of course I watched it a LONG time ago, and I was pretty young then. It might not have held up well.
                  Thank you for the suggestion. Definitely going to put it on here. I know he has a large body of work, so it's going to be tough finding the "must-sees".

Comment

• I've been working through the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list, and recently caught Price in a mid-40s film noir called Laura. Not horror, but good stuff. Weird seeing him in what I would consider a relatively normal role.

Comment

I've been working through the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list, and recently caught Price in a mid-40s film noir called Laura. Not horror, but good stuff. Weird seeing him in what I would consider a relatively normal role.
                      I refuse to look at that list. I have enough movies I haven't seen yet . I like some noir, so that sounds interesting. Yeah, I am so used to him being in Horror/Suspense films. This will be something different for sure.

Comment

I've been working through the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list, and recently caught Price in a mid-40s film noir called Laura. Not horror, but good stuff. Weird seeing him in what I would consider a relatively normal role.
                        He had a lot more of them than people think. Which figures - it takes talent to pull off fantasy horror roles. Boris Karloff in "British Intelligence" is another such example. The plot is strained but Karloff is worth watching.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

He had a lot more of them than people think. Which figures - it takes talent to pull off fantasy horror roles. Boris Karloff in "British Intelligence" is another such example. The plot is strained but Karloff is worth watching.
                          Yeah, I recently watched Karloff in the original Scarface (1932). Weird seeing Frakenstein's monster as a gangster.

Comment

• Karloff was Scarface??? Wow.

Comment

Karloff was Scarface??? Wow.
                              I know right? Adrift always ends up sharing something that you previously didn't know. I think it's his superpower.

Comment

Karloff was Scarface??? Wow.
                                Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                                I know right? Adrift always ends up sharing something that you previously didn't know. I think it's his superpower.
                                Yikes. Let me clarify, Karloff was in scarface. He plays a rival gangster. Paul Muni plays Scarface. Still was a shock to see Karloff in a non-monster role though.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X