Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Underrated Horror Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    Just watched Let Us Prey. Wow, that was pretty good. Weird and dark, and the soundtrack was really cool.
    Glad you liked it. I love stumbling into small gems like that. It's not the best horror film in the world. Probably not even in my top 10 from last year, but still a neat little flick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      Glad you liked it. I love stumbling into small gems like that. It's not the best horror film in the world. Probably not even in my top 10 from last year, but still a neat little flick.
      Yeah, I've found a handful that aren't amazing, but are pretty decent movies. That was one of them.

I haven't run across anything to recommend lately, though. Well, maybe one. My friends and I watch the first Dead Snow movie a while back, and thought it was pretty good. It took us like three months to get around to watching the sequel, and the sequel was way better. Totally different in tone (more like Dead Alive), but really pretty good. It's one of the funnier zombie movies I've ever seen, and nearly up there with Fido IMO.

Edit: I shouldn't say "totally different in tone," but the sequel is definitely goofier and more tongue-in-cheek than the first one. To an extreme, that I thought was great.
      Last edited by Zymologist; 01-01-2016, 08:46 PM.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Yeah, I've found a handful that aren't amazing, but are pretty decent movies. That was one of them.

I haven't run across anything to recommend lately, though. Well, maybe one. My friends and I watch the first Dead Snow movie a while back, and thought it was pretty good. It took us like three months to get around to watching the sequel, and the sequel was way better. Totally different in tone (more like Dead Alive), but really pretty good. It's one of the funnier zombie movies I've ever seen, and nearly up there with Fido IMO.
        I saw the first one, and didn't care for it. I think I felt it was too slapstick, which is fine in some films (Evil Dead, the aforementioned Dead Alive, etc.), but it didn't work for me. Felt too...forced. People said if I didn't like the first one, I'd hate the second one, so I stayed away, but if the general tone is changed, and it is more like Black Sheep, Dead Alive, or that sort of thing, I might need to give it a second shot.

Comment

Edit: I shouldn't say "totally different in tone," but the sequel is definitely goofier and more tongue-in-cheek than the first one. To an extreme, that I thought was great.
          Ok, yeah, I'll probably have to give it another chance.

Comment

Ok, yeah, I'll probably have to give it another chance.
            I think you might like the second one. I definitely thought it was better than the first.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Anyone mention "Killer Clown From Outerspace" yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                Anyone mention "Killer Clown From Outerspace" yet?

I do not believe so. But it is one of my all time favorites. I am glad you mentioned it.
                "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen it. I mean, I'm familiar with it, but if I ever did see it, it was during one of my up-all-night move marathons at my buddy's house watching stuff like Critters and Basket Case.

Comment

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen it. I mean, I'm familiar with it, but if I ever did see it, it was during one of my up-all-night move marathons at my buddy's house watching stuff like Critters and Basket Case.
                    I hope you get to see it again. A cult classic that deserves so much more press than it gets.
                    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                      I hope you get to see it again. A cult classic that deserves so much more press than it gets.
                      Yeah, its one of those "so bad its good" films that come up on just about every cult cheeseball horror movie list.

Comment

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen it. I mean, I'm familiar with it, but if I ever did see it, it was during one of my up-all-night move marathons at my buddy's house watching stuff like Critters and Basket Case.
                        It is one of those rare films that is so bad that it is actually good.

ETA: But then I guess you figured that out:
                        Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                        Yeah, its one of those "so bad its good" films that come up on just about every cult cheeseball horror movie list.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Haven't watched this in forever, but just got to tonight:

p10080_p_v7_aa.jpg

This is definitely for fans of The Serpent and the Rainbow. It's not as good as Serpent, but it is definitely underrated and a gem.

Comment

• It's been a long long time since I've seen it as well. I remember liking it though, and definitely agree that it has the Serpent and the Rainbow production vibe.

Comment

It's been a long long time since I've seen it as well. I remember liking it though, and definitely agree that it has the Serpent and the Rainbow production vibe.
                              I had forgotten how good it was. If you ever wanted to have a "voodoo" type movie night, these two would have to be on the list.

Comment

• Probably not gonna be in your alley but I watched Vincent Price in Shock last night. Classified as a mystery but more of a thriller. Mild by modern standards but I found the psychological angle interesting.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X