Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Underrated Horror Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    I think we mentioned this film previously, or at least James Wan, the director. I appreciate Wan's film from the perspective that he's making horror films more mainstream (Saw, Insidious, The Conjuring, Anabelle), but I just can't help but feel he's so derivative. Every thing he does I feel is a rip off of films that have pulled it off so much better. I don't know. I just can't shake the feeling that there's something...cheap about his films.

Dang, I sound like such a negative nancy critiquing all these films. I'd rather not be that way, but I guess it sort of happens when you've seen as many films I have. It makes just sitting down and enjoying something without critiquing it to pieces pretty difficult.
    Well, I've almost never seen it mentioned anywhere. It's also one of the creepiest movies I've seen. Even without knowing who Tiny Tim was it was creepy for those scenes. Even more so after seeing some of the old stuff he was in. The demon sharpening his claws while having that music played on an old phonograph was especially creepy.

I don't watch a lot of horror movies. I mean, I've seen some of the really old stuff like Dracula, and Frankenstein. Those aren't exactly "under rated" though. Maybe this one doesn't qualify either, but I never really hear people talk about it. Another one I've not heard much about was Jeepers Creepers. The second one was pretty dumb, but the first one was decent IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      Another one I've not heard much about was Jeepers Creepers. The second one was pretty dumb, but the first one was decent IMO.
      There is a good reason why you will never hear me mention those movies.
      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
        So if I am reading you right, you didn't like it because not much stood out to you? It was unmemorable in other words? If that is the case, then I do agree with you.
        That's probably it, yes.

I didn't think any one vignette really stood out (like a few did in the first two V/H/S movies), but I found Surprise Party and Meet Sam to be enjoyable. I really liked the out of order presentation coupled with the Creepshow like comic book narration. The fact that they made Sam the one who enforces Halloween traditions was a nice touch as well.
        I think Creepshow did it a lot better, and a lot scarier, but I understand where you're coming from.

I guess for me, it was the entire package that I enjoyed. Not just one or two stories. I think if you take it as a whole, it has a lot that someone can appreciate. For me at least . I can't speak on why others liked it, but those are my reasons.

Well, I like knowing what your opinion is because you are very knowledgeable and we seem to like more than dislike the same Horror. So if you don't like it, in my view, there is probably a good reason for it. I have been waiting for this one ever since it was announced. Opinions on it seem to be mixed from what I am hearing. I read an article that Dougherty was going for an 80's Gremlins/Home Alone feel. That might be why it all felt so old. He said that only a few things in it would be CGI. I am still excited to see it. Though that has tapered off a bit with some of the mixed opinions I have been getting.
        Well to be accurate, its not that I didn't like it. Its definitely entertainable enough to get through. I wasn't bored at any point, which is a major bonus in my book. I was just left feeling like...eh....i coulda waited till I saw it streaming.

Anyways, its probably best to go into these sorts of movies with low expectations, so that when they don't suck you end up liking them that much more.

Comment

Well, I've almost never seen it mentioned anywhere.
          hmm. It's definitely considered mainstream horror. Maybe to horror aficionados anything that gets a theatrical release is considered mainstream though.

It's also one of the creepiest movies I've seen.
          That's fair. I feel it was pulling from a lot of previous horror films, especially Poltergeist.

Even without knowing who Tiny Tim was it was creepy for those scenes. Even more so after seeing some of the old stuff he was in. The demon sharpening his claws while having that music played on an old phonograph was especially creepy.
          I think I actually chuckled during that scene. The playing happy music, but twisting it into something creepy is an old horror film trope. I love Tiny Tim, and hearing his rendition of Tiptoe Through the Tulips as that creepy happy tune, rather than, you know, a music box doing an old timey song like "You Are My Sunshine" or something, was pretty hilarious. It's like if someone tried to make the creepy scene with My Ding-A-Ling, or Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life playing in the background. Just too silly to take seriously. Walking Dead did the exact same trope in the latest mid-season finale with Nick Lucas' original version of Tiptoe Through the Tulips (little kid was listening to it on a record player). At least the older version brings a bit more gravity to the scene, but it was just out of place, not least because today Tiny Tim's rendition is cemented in everyone's heads, but also because...what crazy little kid is listening to 30s pop songs on a turntable? And inversely it makes a whole heck of a lot more sense for a demon to be listening to a 30s pop song, rather than a 60s/70s novelty version of it.

Also, that whole scene...something about it (and actually the whole film) how it's shot, and how its directed....it all feels like its pulling from films like Nightmare on Elm Street, or Cronos, or Hellraiser. I can't put my finger on it, but I've seen that specific scene someplace else.

I don't watch a lot of horror movies. I mean, I've seen some of the really old stuff like Dracula, and Frankenstein. Those aren't exactly "under rated" though. Maybe this one doesn't qualify either, but I never really hear people talk about it. Another one I've not heard much about was Jeepers Creepers. The second one was pretty dumb, but the first one was decent IMO.
          Jeepers Creepers would be considered very mainstream as well. Its not talked a lot today because its getting older, but also because...well...the director is a convicted child molester, and I think people want to distance themselves from anything he's been involved with.

At any rate, like I said, it's good that Wan's mainstream stuff appeals to the larger audiences than your typical horror aficionado. Even if a lot of stuff I don't like gets mainstream exposure its good for me, because it means that there's still a market for horror films, and they'll continue to make them.

Comment

hmm. It's definitely considered mainstream horror. Maybe to horror aficionados anything that gets a theatrical release is considered mainstream though.
            I can see that.

That's fair. I feel it was pulling from a lot of previous horror films, especially Poltergeist.
            Like I said, I haven't seen much in the way of horror movies.

I think I actually chuckled during that scene. The playing happy music, but twisting it into something creepy is an old horror film trope. I love Tiny Tim, and hearing his rendition of Tiptoe Through the Tulips as that creepy happy tune, rather than, you know, a music box doing an old timey song like "You Are My Sunshine" or something, was pretty hilarious. It's like if someone tried to make the creepy scene with My Ding-A-Ling, or Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life playing in the background. Just too silly to take seriously. Walking Dead did the exact same trope in the latest mid-season finale with Nick Lucas' original version of Tiptoe Through the Tulips (little kid was listening to it on a record player). At least the older version brings a bit more gravity to the scene, but it was just out of place, not least because today Tiny Tim's rendition is cemented in everyone's heads, but also because...what crazy little kid is listening to 30s pop songs on a turntable? And inversely it makes a whole heck of a lot more sense for a demon to be listening to a 30s pop song, rather than a 60s/70s novelty version of it.
            I think the Tiny Tim song is creepy without the demon sharpening his claws in the background.

Also, that whole scene...something about it (and actually the whole film) how it's shot, and how its directed....it all feels like its pulling from films like Nightmare on Elm Street, or Cronos, or Hellraiser. I can't put my finger on it, but I've seen that specific scene someplace else.
            I wouldn't know about that. I haven't seen any of those.

Jeepers Creepers would be considered very mainstream as well. Its not talked a lot today because its getting older, but also because...well...the director is a convicted child molester, and I think people want to distance themselves from anything he's been involved with.
            Did not know that.

At any rate, like I said, it's good that Wan's mainstream stuff appeals to the larger audiences than your typical horror aficionado. Even if a lot of stuff I don't like gets mainstream exposure its good for me, because it means that there's still a market for horror films, and they'll continue to make them.
            There will always be a market for horror. The thing is, do you really want horror to head down a more "mainstream" path? It may just turn most new stuff into something you don't like.

Comment

I think the Tiny Tim song is creepy without the demon sharpening his claws in the background.
              Tiny Tim was a heck of a character. My favorite of his is Living in the Sunlight.

He used to be on a popular 60s/70s variety show called Laugh-In every now and then. Also on Carson and stuff like that. Very eccentric guy. He had long hair before the hippy thing got big, which probably worked out really well for him. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of old timey music. Was in some really weird art films in the early 60s. Could sing in a falsetto or a deeper baritone. He covered a lot of rock music as well, from Presley to AC/DC.

There will always be a market for horror. The thing is, do you really want horror to head down a more "mainstream" path? It may just turn most new stuff into something you don't like.
              That's definitely possible, and we've lived through phases where that was the case. So, for instance, after Scream became big, we ended up with a bunch of shlocky teen films that were not nearly as clever as Scream. Then the whole Japanese horror film thing happened with The Ring and The Grudge. Every few years Hollywood goes through phases. Sometimes it's a hit, most of the time it's a miss. But horror is usually so out of the spotlight that fans are typically relegated to whatever indie projects can make it out there, and that means having to wade through a lot of amateurish crud. Horror is inexpensive to do too, so there's a lot to wade through. I'm an effects guy though, and good effects cost money.

Comment

I think we mentioned this film previously, or at least James Wan, the director. I appreciate Wan's film from the perspective that he's making horror films more mainstream (Saw, Insidious, The Conjuring, Anabelle), but I just can't help but feel he's so derivative. Every thing he does I feel is a rip off of films that have pulled it off so much better. I don't know. I just can't shake the feeling that there's something...cheap about his films.

Dang, I sound like such a negative nancy critiquing all these films. I'd rather not be that way, but I guess it sort of happens when you've seen as many films I have. It makes just sitting down and enjoying something without critiquing it to pieces pretty difficult.
                I have Insidious, Insidious II and Annabelle in the DVR ready to watch. Gotta pick a nice stormy evening.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift
                  I think Creepshow did it a lot better, and a lot scarier, but I understand where you're coming from.
                  Well, for me it only had a Creepshow vibe during the comic narration. That just stuck out to me for some reason. Other than that, I wouldn't compare it to Creepshow.

Originally posted by Adrift
                  Well to be accurate, its not that I didn't like it. Its definitely entertainable enough to get through. I wasn't bored at any point, which is a major bonus in my book. I was just left feeling like...eh....i coulda waited till I saw it streaming.

Anyways, its probably best to go into these sorts of movies with low expectations, so that when they don't suck you end up liking them that much more.
                  Oh I see. I try my best to stay away from hype trains for this very reason. This was one of the few times I had gotten my hopes up more than usual. So I may regret that when I finally see it.
                  "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Haven't seen the movie but a demon could only improve Tiny Tim's Tiptoe through the Tulips.

And I like Tiny Tim!
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Haven't seen the movie but a demon could only improve Tiny Tim's Tiptoe through the Tulips.

And I like Tiny Tim!
                      poor Tiny Tim. What did he ever do to deserve these spankings...

Comment

• Couple recently watched horrors that I thought were quite good:

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

btm-poster27x40proof_original.jpg

A sort of Man Bites Dog meets Scream sort of film

And also,

Let Us Prey:

Let-Us-Prey-poster.jpg

Which reminded me a lot of The Crow...but way darker.

Comment

Couple recently watched horrors that I thought were quite good:

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12070[/ATTACH]

A sort of Man Bites Dog meets Scream sort of film

And also,

Let Us Prey:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12071[/ATTACH]

Which reminded me a lot of The Crow...but way darker.
                          Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie VernonLet Us Prey just yet. But I have heard good things about. I have to try and catch that soon.

Adrift, guess what movie I saw last night...

71RZ09ABTPL.gif

I had forgotten how horrendous the acting was in this . But it's worth a watch if you are bored (like I was).

Comment

• It's been over 15 years since I've seen Lair of the White Worm. I need to rewatch it. I used to be a hardcore Ken Russel fan. Lair of the White Worm, Gothic, Tommy, Altered States (which I have on DVD around here someplace), Women in Love. Somehow I've gone all these years, and haven't seen his most notorious which is The Devils...

Comment

It's been over 15 years since I've seen Lair of the White Worm. I need to rewatch it. I used to be a hardcore Ken Russel fan. Lair of the White Worm, Gothic, Tommy, Altered States (which I have on DVD around here someplace), Women in Love. Somehow I've gone all these years, and haven't seen his most notorious which is The Devils...
                              I hope you can see it again sometime soon. I have to say, it doesn't hold up very well. I think Altered States is a much better movie and holds up pretty well though. I couldn't get into Gothic (JardinPrayer mentioned it I believe). Tommy, Women in Love, and The Devils I haven't seen.

Look at this man and then tell me if you trust him enough to watching The Devils:
                              ken3_2068232b.jpg

Comment

• Just watched Let Us Prey. Wow, that was pretty good. Weird and dark, and the soundtrack was really cool.
                                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment