Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Underrated Horror Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    The original or the remake.
    Beat me to it

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Anyone ever seen Nightbreed from 1990 about a young man tricked by his psychiatrist into thinking he's a serial killer who finds an underground city full of strange creatures? The director's cut with a different ending is better.

Or Frailty from 2001? If you like the TV show Supernatural this takes its core premise and turns it inside out. The father (Bill Paxton) of two boys has been commanded by an angel to hunt and kill demons disguised as normal people -- or does he just think he's been commanded -- and trains his sons to follow in his footsteps. One of the sons is a true believer who says he has received the same commission while the other thinks his father is brainwashing them.

And last but not least, 2008's Splinter. A true monster movie with a couple and the escaped convict that car jacked them trapped in an isolated gas station/convenience store by a parasitic creature that animates the corpses -- or pieces of them -- into spine-covered horrors.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Anyone ever seen Nightbreed from 1990 about a young man tricked by his psychiatrist into thinking he's a serial killer who finds an underground city full of strange creatures? The director's cut with a different ending is better.
        Yep, mentioned in post #21.

Or Frailty from 2001? If you like the TV show Supernatural this takes its core premise and turns it inside out. The father (Bill Paxton) of two boys has been commanded by an angel to hunt and kill demons disguised as normal people -- or does he just think he's been commanded -- and trains his sons to follow in his footsteps. One of the sons is a true believer who says he has received the same commission while the other thinks his father is brainwashing them.
        Been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember really liking it.

And last but not least, 2008's Splinter. A true monster movie with a couple and the escaped convict that car jacked them trapped in an isolated gas station/convenience store by a parasitic creature that animates the corpses -- or pieces of them -- into spine-covered horrors.
        I'm certain I've seen it ,but can't remember for sure. Think maybe it reminded me of The Mist?

Comment

• And 2009's Deathwatch, about a small group of British soldiers in WWI who overrun a section of German trenches only to start being picked off by what they assume are some German soldiers hiding somewhere. Madness sets in as it slowly becomes apparent that it isn't Germans but something much worse that is hunting them -- the trenches themselves are haunted.

Comment

• Mentioned in post #120. I'm thinking you're giving way too much away in this description. This is the type of film you want to go in cold.

And 2009's Deathwatch, about a small group of British soldiers in WWI who overrun a section of German trenches only to start being picked off by what they assume are some German soldiers hiding somewhere. Madness sets in as it slowly becomes apparent that it isn't Germans but something much worse that is hunting them -- the trenches themselves are haunted.
            This is one of those films that I watched, actually gave a high ranking to on Netflix, and then subsequently forgot all about. Weird too, cause this is the type of genre and subject matter I'd normally find unforgettable.

Comment

• Splinter sounds a bit like Dead Space.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Anyone ever seen Nightbreed from 1990 about a young man tricked by his psychiatrist into thinking he's a serial killer who finds an underground city full of strange creatures? The director's cut with a different ending is better.
                The ending was much better, but the added singing scene was cheesy.

Comment

• So I just watched Tusk, and I have no idea what to say about it. That was one of the strangest movies I've ever seen. I haven't seen many movies that are so simultaneously funny and unsettling.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                    So I just watched Tusk, and I have no idea what to say about it. That was one of the strangest movies I've ever seen. I haven't seen many movies that are so simultaneously funny and unsettling.
                    Haven't seen it yet cause I sorta have a hate hate thing for anything Kevin Smith post-Mall Rats. Been meaning to get around to it just to say I did, but not really looking forward to it (if Red State was anything to go by).

Comment

Mentioned in post #120. I'm thinking you're giving way too much away in this description. This is the type of film you want to go in cold.
                      Sorry. I guess I did although they seemed to be telegraphing what was happening very early on (even the poster hints at it) and decided to emphasize how the main character was trying to deal with it.

Comment

Haven't seen it yet cause I sorta have a hate hate thing for anything Kevin Smith post-Mall Rats. Been meaning to get around to it just to say I did, but not really looking forward to it (if Red State was anything to go by).
                        My favorite line from the movie: "You don't want a gun? What kind of American are you?"

Comment

My favorite line from the movie: "You don't want a gun? What kind of American are you?"
                          Was that in Red State or Tusk? I didn't memorize any of the lines in Red State cause I disliked it so much. He's not Tarantino. Not just anyone can switch up a film half way through. (It would've been a lot cooler, though, if the trumpets at the end were actually angelic. If I remember correctly, that was Smith's original idea, but it was too expensive or something.)

Comment

Was that in Red State or Tusk? I didn't memorize any of the lines in Red State cause I disliked it so much. He's not Tarantino. Not just anyone can switch up a film half way through. (It would've been a lot cooler, though, if the trumpets at the end were actually angelic. If I remember correctly, that was Smith's original idea, but it was too expensive or something.)
                            That was from Tusk--I haven't seen Red State. I've seen the name around and wondered if it was worth watching. Your comments on it have given me pause.

Comment

That was from Tusk--I haven't seen Red State. I've seen the name around and wondered if it was worth watching. Your comments on it have given me pause.
                              I think if you like Smith, you should watch it. The anti-homosexual Fundamentalist = Westboro cult subtext may have rubbed me wrong, and perhaps its a better movie than I gave it credence. People should see it and come to their own conclusions, in my opinion.

Comment

I think if you like Smith, you should watch it. The anti-homosexual Fundamentalist = Westboro cult subtext may have rubbed me wrong, and perhaps its a better movie than I gave it credence. People should see it and come to their own conclusions, in my opinion.
                                See, that's the weird thing: I'm not sure if Tusk was actually that good. It's perfectly possible that it's bizarreness kind of covers up how not-good it is. I'm still not sure how much I actually liked it.

Comment