Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Underrated Horror Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JardinPrayer View Post
    Yes, only good!
    Hey! I thought the Village wasn't . . . terrible. I actually don't even hate The Happening which I see as a not-so-good film, but a fantastic Outer Limits episode.

Comment

• Originally posted by JardinPrayer View Post
      Yes, only good!
      I liked The Village as well. I know M. Night Shyamalan gets a bad rap these days (undeservedly I think), but I thought The Village and Unbreakable were great movies.
      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        Black Death is sort of a horror and I liked it.
        I've been meaning to see that. How much horror is in it?
        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
          I haven't seen it in a few years, so I can't remember a lot, but I'd say a fair bit. It's a pretty dark and brutal movie all around, but I do remembering liking it.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I haven't seen it in a few years, so I can't remember a lot, but I'd say a fair bit. It's a pretty dark and brutal movie all around, but I do remembering liking it.
            It was about a knight and a young monk acting as witch hunters in a remote village that IIRC the plague didn't effect

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              It was about a knight and a young monk acting as witch hunters in a remote village that IIRC the plague didn't effect
              I remember some weird goings-on at that village, and that it has Sean Bean.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                meh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  meh.
                  Like I said, it's been a while since I've seen it, so take that into account.

Comment

Have you seen Society? Talk about weird....
                    That was too weird. "Well son, you always said I was a butthead"

Comment

• Originally posted by Christy View Post
                      That was too weird. "Well son, you always said I was a butthead"

Comment

Like I said, it's been a while since I've seen it, so take that into account.
                        Well, every place that has reviewed it has said it's horror. Or at least has strong horror roots. Sean Bean is pretty good in his medieval roles so I will check it out.

Comment

• Zymolygist
                          Black Death is sort of a horror and I liked it.
                          The pagan woman in that movie is just a pagan Melisandra from Game of Thrones but with blonde hair instead of red.

DarthExecutor
                          I recommend anyone who can get their hands on Troll 2 to watch it.
                          I freaking love that movie. I posted a ten star review of it in IMDB on the first of April. I can't link to it, I don't think, because there might be curse words from other reviews, so I'll post it here ;
                          Beautiful Movie
                          *** This review may contain spoilers ***
                          Never have I given a movie more than an 8, and certainly not a 10, since a 10 implies that a movie is perfect, and I felt that a perfect movie couldn't exist. This movie made me question that assumption.

This movie is a true work of art, dealing with the delicate issue of generational mental illness affliction in a Utah family in a creative way. In the movie mental illness is represented metaphorically as goblins. The movie starts out with Grandpa Seth of the Waits family, reading a story about goblins to young Joshua. Afterwards Grandpa Seth tries to convince his grandson that goblins exist, they do and Grandpa Seth is telling him. It seems as if Grandpa Seth is making an effort to pass his delusions onto his grandson, that is until his mother steps in the door and asks who Joshua is talking too, in which the chair Grandpa Seth was sitting on is shown empty. So it's not Grandpa Seth pushing his crazy on his grandson, but Joshua himself showing signs of mental illness. Diana Waits, his daughter, who herself clearly is a sufferer of some mental affliction, worries about the whole ordeal she had just witnessed, and talks about the situation with her husband George Waits. She asks George who the goblins are, unto which George scoffs. George Waits seems like the sanest at first until you realize that his idea of a vacation is exchanging houses with strangers from the country. The exchange is where the insanity really comes out, as the family must fight their demons in the form of the towns' people, which of whom they believe are cheaply costumed vegetarian goblins who want to devour them.

There's a side story where the teen daughter of the Waits is having problems with her gay boyfriend, who is either using her as a beard, or since he seems mentally challenged, isn't able to understand why his girlfriend would have a problem with him sleeping with his friends. The daughter, who seems to have a type of dissociative personality disorder, stays with him even though she seems to know about this. The parents know of this and don't want Holly to hang out with this playboy son of the Coopers. He ends up going into the town the Waits are going with his friends, who he sleeps with, in his camper. One of the friends of Holly's boyfriends friends, whose name is Arnold is involved in a scene where he and a girl he had just met are caught in an old building by a crazy towns' lady, who is queen of the goblins in a poignant scene that foreshadows the ending where Joshua realizes he can't escape his madness. In this scene the girl who Arnie tried to save is caught and eaten by the goblins, and Arnie, who is turning into a tree and can't move, is forced to watch. Horrified he screams out, "They're eaten her. And then they're going to eat me. Oh my Gaaaawwwd!" This scene is best viewed in Hungarian; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8PyNeSV2J8

There is an anti-meat message that is pronounced through the character Creedence after Grandpa Seth gives Joshua a bologna sandwich, which he eats to defeat the goblins. Perhaps Joshua's illness is brought on by a lack of meat in his diet? So maybe it's pro-meat? Anyway this movie makes you question which is a good thing. In the end the Waits return home, and everything seems okay, until Joshua awakens to see green slime, which is what the goblins turn people into to eat, since they can't eat meat they make people one with the vegetable world. He goes into the kitchen to see the goblins on the floor eaten his mom who has turned half plant. This shows that he can't run away from his problem, and the illness that is eating his mother is going to eat him too.

The kid who played Joshua was so affected that he made a documentary on the Troll 2 phenomena as an adult, revisiting some of the old cast; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1144539/ This film is a Tour' Force! A Masterpiece! If you're only going to watch one movie during your lifetime it should be this! If you decide to watch this film, make sure there's somebody watching with you. -David Manning
                          I have another horror movie suggestion, that I don't know is really that good but it was weird and felt like a dream you'd have if you are psychically sick, Eyes of Fire from 1983.
                          Last edited by Christy; 08-26-2015, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• I found a couple actually good ones on Netflix. If you've spent any time surfing the Netflix horror selection, you know that it is a barren place indeed.

Creep - a slow burn, that's alternately funny and disturbing.

The Harvest - This is more of a thriller than a horror, but it's an interesting watch. Motherly instinct taken to a creepy extreme.

Comment

• Not a fan of later horror movies, I prefer older ones. Who can resist the Blob?
                              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                                Not a fan of later horror movies, I prefer older ones. Who can resist the Blob?
                                The original or the remake.

Comment