Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Underrated Horror Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I ever find myself in a horror movie, I am going to make sure I surround myself with a bevy of blonde cheerleaders.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      If I ever find myself in a horror movie, I am going to make sure I surround myself with a bevy of blonde cheerleaders.
      Why wait until then?

Comment

If I ever find myself in a horror movie, I am going to make sure I surround myself with a bevy of blonde cheerleaders.
        Make sure that you split up. Your searches will be much more efficient that way.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          Why wait until then?

good point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift
            Ah, that's a shame. I saw it when Perlman was mostly known only for playing the part of Beast on the Beauty and the Beast tv series. So he wasn't unknown, but wasn't as well known, I suppose. I just love everything about that movie. I loved the sickly green and sepia color tone of the picture, I loved the Rube Goldberg chain reactions, I loved the early 19th century French setting, I thought the kids were adorable, I thought the acting by everyone, especially by Dominique Pinon (who plays the clones and is featured in other Jean Pierre Jeunet films), and the Octopus twins was over the top and totally fun. I don't know, I just love everything about it.
            After thinking about it, I wonder if I should give the movie another shot. It's been a long time since I've seen it and my tastes sometimes change drasticaly. Maybe I can find a dubbed version somewhere.

Originally posted by Adrift
            Yeah, I love it when a director totally defies expectations. Just shows how great some of these artists are that they can do a more conventional story if they want, but choose not to a lot of the time. Reminds me of how a lot of people think that some of the great modern artists like Picasso or Pollock couldn't draw so that's why they went with abstraction, but if you look at any of their early work, they did plenty of great realistic stuff. It's fun to think that someone like David Lynch who did terrifying films like Eraserhead, Lost Highway, and Mulholland Drive could just as easily do sentimental work like The Elephant Man or The Straight Story.
            I am still shocked that Cronenberg was the mind behind that movie. It's so unexpected. You are so right, there are some artists that have such an amazing range they can put their talents to something you would never think of and make it work.
            "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

In a horror movie, this is a bad idea for a whole host of reasons. Stay away from me!
              "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• I recommend anyone who can get their hands on Troll 2 to watch it. It's commonly claimed to be the worst movie ever made, but I thought it was brilliant (maybe because of the low expectations set by its reputation). A more serious horror movie could easily be made with the basic plot/setting and it would become an instant classic, but since I enjoy horror comedy that isn't British (shaun of the dead was horrible), I think it's a classic in its own way.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  I recommend anyone who can get their hands on Troll 2 to watch it. It's commonly claimed to be the worst movie ever made, but I thought it was brilliant (maybe because of the low expectations set by its reputation).
                  Does it star Shuny?
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• That's it! I'll make an extremely low budget horror video based loosely on my life. It'll have mutated vampire weresquirrels killing off all the members of a theology website I frequent and radioactive kung fu kittens to save the day from the evil squirrel overlord!
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      That's it! I'll make an extremely low budget horror video based loosely on my life. It'll have mutated vampire weresquirrels killing off all the members of a theology website I frequent and radioactive kung fu kittens to save the day from the evil squirrel overlord!
                      So it's going to be non-fiction then?

Comment

• Of course!
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Of course!
                          Just make sure that you make my death a memorable one.

Comment

I recommend anyone who can get their hands on Troll 2 to watch it. It's commonly claimed to be the worst movie ever made, but I thought it was brilliant (maybe because of the low expectations set by its reputation). A more serious horror movie could easily be made with the basic plot/setting and it would become an instant classic, but since I enjoy horror comedy that isn't British (shaun of the dead was horrible), I think it's a classic in its own way.
                            Darth, did you see the Troll 2 documentary Best Worst Movie? I thought it was really good and very touching.

It's a shame you didn't like Shaun of the Dead. Is it because it was British? Or it just wasn't good in your view?

Comment

• I didn't see the documentary. I don't dislike it because it was British per se, but Britain has a habit of making horror I hate. I thought it was a terrible movie. Same with Hot Fuzz. And Britain is world renowned for destroying the Tales from the Crypt series (they filmed the last season in Britain to save money and it was the most awful of the bunch). Speaking of Tales, my favorite episodes were "Television Terror" and "Mournin' Mess" and I think they're both on youtube.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I didn't see the documentary. I don't dislike it because it was British per se, but Britain has a habit of making horror I hate. I thought it was a terrible movie. Same with Hot Fuzz. And Britain is world renowned for destroying the Tales from the Crypt series (they filmed the last season in Britain to save money and it was the most awful of the bunch). Speaking of Tales, my favorite episodes were "Television Terror" and "Mournin' Mess" and I think they're both on youtube.
                                I hope you get to see the documentary some time. Since you are a fan of Troll 2, I think you will enjoy it.

I understand that. There are some regions that do horror better than others. I feel the same for most French and Italian horror I have seen. Though I probably haven't been exposed to the majority of it. I never did see the last season of Tales. It sounds like I didn't miss much. Two of my favorites were People Who Live in Brass Hearses and What's Cookin'.

Comment