Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Batman V Superman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    When they started all that revamping of history in the DC universe is when I just gave up on comics completely. I think it started around the time they had the 4 Supermen. Totally screwed up everything.
    Yeah, now they are in serious damage control. Hopefully they calm things down again, but it might just get worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      When they started all that revamping of history in the DC universe is when I just gave up on comics completely. I think it started around the time they had the 4 Supermen. Totally screwed up everything.
      The first big one was in Crisis on Infinite Earths, I think, in the mid-80s, but the 4 Supermen thing happened after the Death of Superman in the early 90s (if that's what you're referring to). Then they have a couple more DC universe revamps after that.

I mostly got out of comics in around about the early to mid 90s. The only thing I read for a long time afterwards was Amazing Spider-Man because his universe is sort of self-contained, but unfortunately that meant sticking through the terrible period with Erik Larsen (whose penciling I hated, and who replaced McFarlane on the title), then the equally terrible Clone Saga, which I completely tuned out of. Then I briefly picked up the book during Straczynski's run in the early 2000s, which was an uneventful waste of time. Spider-Man stopped being interesting in the comics after the Kraven's Last Hunt storyline. The character went downhill once they made Venom/Carnage regulars, and Marvel's editor, Joe Quesada, kept pushing to separate Mary Jane and Peter, because the big two don't know how to write a married superhero series (though indie comics like Saga have no problem doing so). Now I hear that they resurrected Gwen Stacy, made her a superheroine, and retconned her story so that she fooled around with Harry Osborne and had a kid with him before she "died". What the heck are they thinking? They HATE Peter Parker. Poor guy.
      Last edited by Adrift; 04-11-2016, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        The first big one was in Crisis on Infinite Earths, I think, in the mid-80s, but the 4 Supermen thing happened after the Death of Superman in the early 90s (if that's what you're referring to). Then they have a couple more DC universe revamps after that.

I mostly got out of comics in around about the early to mid 90s. The only thing I read for a long time afterwards was Amazing Spider-Man because his universe is sort of self-contained, but unfortunately that meant sticking through the terrible period with Erik Larsen (whose penciling I hated, and who replaced McFarlane on the title), then the equally terrible Clone Saga, which I completely tuned out of. Then I briefly picked up the book during Straczynski's run in the early 2000s, which was an uneventful waste of time. Spider-Man stopped being interesting in the comics after the Kraven's Last Hunt storyline. The character went downhill once they made Venom/Carnage regulars, and Marvel's editor, Joe Quesada, kept pushing to separate Mary Jane and Peter, because the big two don't know how to write a married superhero series (though indie comics like Saga have no problem doing so). Now I hear that they resurrected Gwen Stacy, made her a superheroine, and retconned her story so that she fooled around with Harry Osborne and had a kid with him. What the heck are they thinking? They HATE Peter Parker. Poor guy.
        I actually really enjoyed the Superior Spider-Man comics. Yeah, in the Spider-Gwen comics, Peter Parker ends up as the Lizard by using Doctor Connors machines instead of him.

Comment

I mostly got out of comics in around about the early to mid 90s. The only thing I read for a long time afterwards was Amazing Spider-Man because his universe is sort of self-contained, but unfortunately that meant sticking through the terrible period with Erik Larsen (whose penciling I hated, and who replaced McFarlane on the title), then the equally terrible Clone Saga, which I completely tuned out of. Then I briefly picked up the book during Straczynski's run in the early 2000s, which was an uneventful waste of time. Spider-Man stopped being interesting in the comics after the Kraven's Last Hunt storyline. The character went downhill once they made Venom/Carnage regulars, and Marvel's editor, Joe Quesada, kept pushing to separate Mary Jane and Peter, because the big two don't know how to write a married superhero series (though indie comics like Saga have no problem doing so). Now I hear that they resurrected Gwen Stacy, made her a superheroine, and retconned her story so that she fooled around with Harry Osborne and had a kid with him before she "died". What the heck are they thinking? They HATE Peter Parker. Poor guy.
          Yeah it is pretty sad when TV shows are more accurate to the history of a superheroe than the modern comics are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            I actually really enjoyed the Superior Spider-Man comics. Yeah, in the Spider-Gwen comics, Peter Parker ends up as the Lizard by using Doctor Connors machines instead of him.
            Superior Spider-Man...isn't that the series where they blasphemously killed off Peter Parker and had his arch-nemesis Doc Ock living in his skin for over a year? I didn't read any of it, but the description alone had me sighing. I imagine a lot of old school fans were shaking their heads wondering why anyone would want to read a Spider-Man book for a year from Dr. Octopus' perspective. And Peter becomes the Lizard in Gwen's comic? See, they really do loathe Parker. They tried to clone him, then they wiped his memory and broke up his marriage, then they killed him, then they turned him into not one, but two of his arch-nemesi. Shame shame shame.

Comment

Superior Spider-Man...isn't that the series where they blasphemously killed off Peter Parker and had his arch-nemesis Doc Ock living in his skin for over a year? I didn't read any of it, but the description alone had me sighing. I imagine a lot of old school fans were shaking their heads wondering why anyone would want to read a Spider-Man book for a year from Dr. Octopus' perspective. And Peter becomes the Lizard in Gwen's comic? See, they really do loathe Parker. They tried to clone him, then they wiped his memory and broke up his marriage, then they killed him, then they turned him into not one, but two of his arch-nemesi. Shame shame shame.
              I see your point, but the Superior Spider-Man was really interesting. It also had a fantastic finale, one you might actually approve of. I'll just put it this way since you'll likely never read them anyway. Otto Octavious is not the Superior Spider-Man, Peter Parker is.

Comment

I see your point, but the Superior Spider-Man was really interesting. It also had a fantastic finale, one you might actually approve of. I'll just put it this way since you'll likely never read them anyway. Otto Octavious is not the Superior Spider-Man, Peter Parker is.

Comment

Spoiler alert just in case anyone reading this wants to read the Superior Spider-Man comics.

Peter Parker survives, and eventually is given back his body. Doctor Octopus realizes that only Peter Parker can truly be called "The Superior Spider-Man". Doc Ock just wasn't up to the job. Green Goblin was just way too much for him to handle.

Comment

• Batman needs to give Clark some much needed training. Somehow. What would be the best way for Batman to teach Superman how to fight and how to be more effective at saving lives?
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      Batman needs to give Clark some much needed training. Somehow. What would be the best way for Batman to teach Superman how to fight and how to be more effective at saving lives?
                      Shrink down and enter the Bottled City of Kandor, and do intensive training and sparring as Nightwing and Flamebird.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Spoiler alert just in case anyone reading this wants to read the Superior Spider-Man comics.

Peter Parker survives, and eventually is given back his body. Doctor Octopus realizes that only Peter Parker can truly be called "The Superior Spider-Man". Doc Ock just wasn't up to the job. Green Goblin was just way too much for him to handle.
                        Well, yeah. No matter how much Marvel hates Peter Parker, they're not going to kill him off forever.

Comment

Batman needs to give Clark some much needed training. Somehow. What would be the best way for Batman to teach Superman how to fight and how to be more effective at saving lives?
                          He can punch a hole through a planet. Why would he need Batman to train him? If anything, Batman needs someone to give him superpowers. Maybe if he slipped on Hal Jordan's ring... (wait, who's the current Green Lantern? meh, stupid DC with their stupid character retcons and replacements)

Comment

He can punch a hole through a planet. Why would he need Batman to train him? If anything, Batman needs someone to give him superpowers. Maybe if he slipped on Hal Jordan's ring... (wait, who's the current Green Lantern? meh, stupid DC with their stupid character retcons and replacements)

He needs training to defeat the evil aliens who are just as powerful as he is in order to reduce collateral damage. Giving Batman a green lantern ring is overkill. Batman has had a few stories where he temporarily gets Superman's powers.
                            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

He needs training to defeat the evil aliens who are just as powerful as he is in order to reduce collateral damage.
                              Didn't you watch Superman II? He doesn't need no silly normie dressed like a bat to teach him how to fight bad guys that are as strong as he is.

Comment

Didn't you watch Superman II? He doesn't need no silly normie dressed like a bat to teach him how to fight bad guys that are as strong as he is.
                                Yeah, he can take a film covering the S on his costume and throw it at them temporarily... wrapping them... up in cellophane... Okay, what was up with that?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment