Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump proposes universal health care (government funded)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam you are still more than welcome to pay my tax burden for me. Of course, that might mean actually going out and getting a job, but I am willing for you to make that sacrifice for me. Thanks!

Comment

A strong military (and police) is putatively the ONLY necessary function of government.

Protecting of citizens from foreign and domestic threats is paramount.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        No, because - as you're aware - federal income taxes are far from the only taxes and other taxes (i.e., sales, local) are very regressive. When liberals talk about the tax burden on the poor, they're usually talking about the total tax burden, not just federal income tax. If you want disingenuous, look to the politicians and pundits who don't make that distinction.
        Your liberal comrades who are running for Congress or the White House are talking about reducing income taxes not sales taxes or local taxes (which they have little or no say over). So are they being disingenuous when they say that they will reduce their tax burden when they are already not paying those taxes?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
          A strong military (and police) is putatively the ONLY necessary function of government.

Protecting of citizens from foreign and domestic threats is paramount.

Eddie Chiles used to say "I think the government ought to defend our shores, deliver our mail, and leave us ALONE!"
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Your liberal comrades who are running for Congress or the White House are talking about reducing income taxes not sales taxes or local taxes (which they have little or no say over). So are they being disingenuous when they say that they will reduce their tax burden when they are already not paying those taxes?
            Citations, Rogue, citations. Are those politicians saying that all lower income groups pay federal income taxes? Are they targeting the lower-income persons who still do pay federal income taxes? Are you overly-generalizing? Citations will help us here.
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Citations, Rogue, citations. Are those politicians saying that all lower income groups pay federal income taxes? Are they targeting the lower-income persons who still do pay federal income taxes? Are you overly-generalizing? Citations will help us here.
              typical Sam.

Comment

Really Sam? They are always talking about raising taxes on folks who make more than such and such and lowering taxes on everyone who makes less than such and such. Do you honestly think that they're talking about sales tax?

When you're talking about raising or lower taxes based on what you make that is income taxes.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Really Sam? They are always talking about raising taxes on folks who make more than such and such and lowering taxes on everyone who makes less than such and such. Do you honestly think that they're talking about sales tax?

When you're talking about raising or lower taxes based on what you make that is income taxes.
                  Citations, please, Rogue. Because if you're referring to when liberals are talking about lowering taxes for the bottom 90%, 85%, etc, you're referring to liberals talking about a much larger group of people than those earning less than $30,000/year (about the bottom 40%).

Sounds like you made an over-generalization and then tried to pin that over-generalization on coming from liberals.
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

They're not being disingenuous. Though I'm 73 and in Northern California where jobs are still hard to get, I do work tax seasons as a paid tax preparer. I am always shocked when a single minimum wage worker comes and expects to get a refund of the $1000 withheld from his/her $20,000 annual earnings, but finds out that the full $1000 stays with Uncle Sam. And if he has no dependents, he even has to pay some California income tax. Or the guy who now has to pay a full $1000 because he thought he made so little that he couldn't possibly be taxed.
                    But yes, the tax code does readily benefit low wage earners with young children. The Earned Income Credit can be over $6000 with three kids, plus add another $3000 Child Tax Credit if they are all under 17 years. A single person (Head of Household, whether divorced or never married) with three kids under 17 making $25000 gets a $9000 refund. Yes, that's a NEGATIVE tax rate (over 30% in this example). That's one way to get lazy people to work. (To tie in with some of my other controversial recent posts.)
                    Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment