Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Pope Francis Does Not Understand...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pope Francis Does Not Understand...

I was a fan of prior popes and was predisposed to think well of Francis; however, Pope Francis has been a major disappointment to me.

George Will expresses some of what I find to be disillusioning about the papacy as represented by Francis.
    Bleak House) and other matters.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...rty-capitalism

Originally posted by John Reece View Post
    I was a fan of prior popes and was predisposed to think well of Francis; however, Pope Francis has been a major disappointment to me.

George Will expresses some of what I find to be disillusioning about the papacy as represented by Francis.

How true!

Our flourishing requires affordable, abundant energy for the production of everything from food to pharmaceuticals. Poverty has probably decreased more in the last two centuries than it has in the preceding three millennia because of industrialization powered by fossil fuels. Only economic growth has ever produced broad amelioration of poverty, and since growth began in the late 18th century, it has depended on such fuels.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You'd think that George Will would be smart enough not to base his entire critique on a plain logical fallacy ... but this is not the George Will of yesterday. At least burning this kind of straw doesn't contribute to global warming.
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Just an initial read-through suggests enough strawmen to keep the crows away from every farm field in the state of Nebraska. It's disappointing to see this from a respected figure like George Will. He even repeats the Galileo myth.
        Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          You'd think that George Will would be smart enough not to base his entire critique on a plain logical fallacy ... but this is not the George Will of yesterday. At least burning this kind of straw doesn't contribute to global warming.
          And this coming from a red diaper doper baby...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

As a Christian, I'm not interested in hearing avowed atheists (George Will is an atheist) in telling religious leaders how to do their job.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              As a Christian, I'm not interested in hearing avowed atheists (George Will is an atheist) in telling religious leaders how to do their job.
              So i guess this thread could be as aptly titled, "George Will Does Not Understand"

Comment

The editors of National Review (who published George Will's article linked above, and who are for the most part Roman Catholics, as was the founder, William F. Buckley) have this to say about Pope Francis's "Crude Economics":

Comment

The editors of National Review (who published George Will's article linked above, and who are for the most part Roman Catholics, as was the founder, William F. Buckley) have this to say about Pope Francis's "Crude Economics":
                  John Kerry and Nancy Pelosi also identify as Catholics; the label in itself offers no innate credibility.

As for the specific content of this piece you quote here, I would suggest that the argument that the market itself guarantees human development can be seen in the attitude of the state department spokesperson who went on TV and said that the way to prevent people from going off to join ISIS was to give them jobs. It's not so much an explicit ideology as a mindset.

Comment

"I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                      John Kerry and Nancy Pelosi also identify as Catholics; the label in itself offers no innate credibility.
                      I only noted the Catholic source of the information in response to KingsGambit's dismissal of George Will's critique on the basis that the author (George Will) is an atheist.

Comment

I like the Pope but almost never get involved in political discussions and have no expertise in climate science or economic theory. It seems like there are ideologues and ideological traps and limitations on all sides of these debates and without appropriate expertise cannot contribute much, if at all, to a disentanglement of the ideological pitfalls. But I do like the Pope!
                        אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                          I like the Pope but almost never get involved in political discussions and have no expertise in climate science or economic theory. It seems like there are ideologues and ideological traps and limitations on all sides of these debates and without appropriate expertise cannot contribute much, if at all, to a disentanglement of the ideological pitfalls. But I do like the Pope!

I only wish the pope were as wise as you!
                          Last edited by John Reece; 09-22-2015, 08:55 AM.

Comment

I only wish the pope were as wise as you!
                            I only wish I were as wise as you seem to think I am.
                            אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I only noted the Catholic source of the information in response to KingsGambit's dismissal of George Will's critique on the basis that the author (George Will) is an atheist.
                              Fair enough, but both articles you cited are still full of strawmen.

Comment