Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahmed Mohamed and his family are moving to Qatar

Source: Texas teen arrested for homemade clock to move to Qatar

A 14-year-old Muslim boy who was arrested after a homemade clock he brought to school was mistaken for a possible bomb will be moving with his family to the Middle East so he can attend school there, his family said.

Ahmed Mohamed's family released a statement Tuesday saying they had accepted a foundation's offer to pay for his high school and college in Doha, Qatar. He recently visited the country as part of a whirlwind month that included a Monday stop at the White House and an appearance Tuesday at the U.S. Capitol.

"We are going to move to a place where my kids can study and learn, and all of them being accepted by that country," Ahmed's father, Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed, told The Dallas Morning News before boarding an airplane from Washington back home to Texas on Tuesday.

The statement said the family has been "overwhelmed by the many offers of support" since Ahmed's arrest on Sept. 14 at his school in Irving, a Dallas suburb. The family said it accepted an offer from the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development to join its Young Innovators Program.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

It appears that the U.S. is losing one of the future's great scientists.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I am heartbroken.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I assume part of Ahmed's education will include how to make a real briefcase bomb.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• I am still absolutely amazed at the otherwise intelligent people who got sucked into this thing whole hog, adamantly defending this kid and his family. And, to be clear, I don't think the kid is evil (yet) - I think he was manipulated by his family and the liberals just fell all over themselves kissing up to them.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I think this whole thing just went to a level of stupid I can't even explain or fathom. Pretty sure if the school had done their job and called the engineering teacher in the first place, none of this crap would have ever happpened but no, Everyone had to get involved go fear and rumor crazy which made the left get involved and now the family was offered a scholarship in Qatar.....sheesh. well from a "normal" parents perspective if I didn't want my family getting all this insane attention..... I might move too. Usually the simplest explanation is the most probable. And crazy conspiracies are never the simplest or the most likely, just fear based. And for the record the schools in Qatar are supposed to be very very good. Qatar's people are Persian, not Arabic, as you might think and the people themselves are VERY different from the government when it comes to women's rights and integration, Its not exactly the "worst place" in the middle east to be moving too. Mountain Man's ignorance is showing.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• I took a bomb apart and made a clock out of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Ahmed Mohamed and his family are moving to Qatar

Source: Texas teen arrested for homemade clock to move to Qatar

A 14-year-old Muslim boy who was arrested after a homemade clock he brought to school was mistaken for a possible bomb will be moving with his family to the Middle East so he can attend school there, his family said.

Ahmed Mohamed's family released a statement Tuesday saying they had accepted a foundation's offer to pay for his high school and college in Doha, Qatar. He recently visited the country as part of a whirlwind month that included a Monday stop at the White House and an appearance Tuesday at the U.S. Capitol.

"We are going to move to a place where my kids can study and learn, and all of them being accepted by that country," Ahmed's father, Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed, told The Dallas Morning News before boarding an airplane from Washington back home to Texas on Tuesday.

The statement said the family has been "overwhelmed by the many offers of support" since Ahmed's arrest on Sept. 14 at his school in Irving, a Dallas suburb. The family said it accepted an offer from the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development to join its Young Innovators Program.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Even his daughter? What does his buddy, the Butcher of Dafur think of THAT?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I took a bomb apart and made a clock out of it.
                  I carved a gun into a bar of soap!

Comment

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                    I think this whole thing just went to a level of stupid I can't even explain or fathom. Pretty sure if the school had done their job and called the engineering teacher in the first place, none of this crap would have ever happpened but no, Everyone had to get involved go fear and rumor crazy which made the left get involved and now the family was offered a scholarship in Qatar.....sheesh. well from a "normal" parents perspective if I didn't want my family getting all this insane attention..... I might move too. Usually the simplest explanation is the most probable. And crazy conspiracies are never the simplest or the most likely, just fear based. And for the record the schools in Qatar are supposed to be very very good. Qatar's people are Persian, not Arabic, as you might think and the people themselves are VERY different from the government when it comes to women's rights and integration, Its not exactly the "worst place" in the middle east to be moving too. Mountain Man's ignorance is showing.
                    As long as Acccchmed and his jerkwad father are out of the States, ...

Now the Islamophiles can resume their lovefest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      I took a bomb apart and made a clock out of it.
                      Somewhere in my brain is a Patty, Selma and Macguyver joke but...... I can't think of it.
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                        As long as Acccchmed and his jerkwad father are out of the States, ...

Now the Islamophiles can resume their lovefest.
                        Ok dumbass. So I'm not allowed to express concern or compassion or what ever kindness for someone who is Muslim now? What the actual? I think you are the jerkwad.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                          I think this whole thing just went to a level of stupid I can't even explain or fathom. Pretty sure if the school had done their job and called the engineering teacher in the first place, none of this crap would have ever happpened
                          But we don't know exactly what the school did or didn't do or say. They're not allowed to discuss that without written permission from Ahmed's parent, because Amhed is a juvenile.

but no, Everyone had to get involved go fear and rumor crazy
                          I think that's unfair - it's entirely possible the school was following their protocol, and there may have been other circumstances of which we are not aware. Not to mention that his sister boasted of being suspended the previous year (or two) for some kind of shenannigans.

which made the left get involved and now the family was offered a scholarship in Qatar.....sheesh. well from a "normal" parents perspective if I didn't want my family getting all this insane attention..... I might move too.
                          As a NORMAL parent, if your kid showed you that device and said "I'm going to take this to school and carry it around in my backpack and show it to people", you would have said "over my dead body!"

Usually the simplest explanation is the most probable.
                          Yes, he could have easily taken a picture of the thing on his iphone, and taken it to his school and asked his teacher "hey, I made this thing, can I bring it in and show you?"

Comment

• I think what happened here was that the school was probably basing their response, at least in part, on factors that were not made public at the time. They obviously knew Ahmed's father was a political activist in Islamic affairs, and they evidently knew the sister had been suspended before for whatever it was she bragged of doing. (She wasn't specific, AFAICT, she just bragged about being suspended, and denigrated "the stupid school".)

Subsequently, we have Mark Cuban's comment about the sister feeding Ahmed all the answers to what happened.

I think the liberals just saw what they wanted to see -- "poor little Muslim kid gets picked on", and fell all over themselves blaming "the system" without a clue as to what really went on. They worked themselves up into a frenzy where anybody who even questioned the kid's (or family's) motives had to be an evil prejudiced cold-hearted son of a biscuit eater. Then there's no room for them to back down, and say, "hmmm... there was more to this than we thought."

Comment

• CP, I don't watch Fox news, CNN, or MSNBC I just read a ton of news articles and follow my local news. I have no use for WND, Breitbart, the Blaze or any of those Liberal Sources. I don't really read those "facebook trending" stuff because I feel most of it is worthless gossip. Since the suspension and the report on the children's "problems with authority" came from the far right wing, I have a difficulty believing it, and since the Washington Post and New York times are bragging on "Look at this great clock and child who built it.... I have a problem with he was the best kid ever and tend to think he got WAYYYYY to much attention. I definately doubt that his parents "groomed" him to do that. If in fact he took a clock apart and put it in a pencil case (I've absolutely zero knowledge of the inner workings of a clock just to look like a macguyver bomb, then it went crazy. in the news and to a stupid level. If not and he "copied a clock" (which may be more likely) than it went stupid. either way there was a level of profiling from the right and the left that makes me want to :facepalm: And considering that I wouldn't even think "bomb" when I saw that, yeah I would have let my child go to school, with the clock that he built in the case.
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                I think the liberals just saw what they wanted to see
                                I don't think it's necessarily a liberal thing. The majority opinion on extremely liberal websites like Reddit was that the clock looked like a bomb, and that he received unwarranted positive attention for the stunt he pulled. I think this sort of Us vs. Them thing where we lump all liberals or all conservatives in a basket and say "they see what they want to see" can be unhealthy for dialogue (at least, in this case).

Comment