Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should Convicted Felons get Voting Rights Back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    People with no respect for the law should not have a say in what they are since they cannot be trusted to support justice rather than support whatever serves them best.
    It should be noted that suffrage is not taken away for committing all crimes (felonies and not misdemeanours) and that state laws are not consistent on felony disenfranchisement.

Also, Darth, don't you happen to think that most people (non-felons included) "cannot be trusted to support justice rather than support whatever serves them best"?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Because they were stupid enough to do the crime in the first place. No one forced them to become a felon.
      My point: if jail is part of the package of withdrawal of rights, once the right of freedom is returned why shouldn't all the other rights be so as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
        My point: if jail is part of the package of withdrawal of rights, once the right of freedom is returned why shouldn't all the other rights be so as well?
        Because they don't all have the same time limitations.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

There are degrees of disrespect. Self-delusion can factor in on lesser crimes. Serious ones, not so much.

Also, Darth, don't you happen to think that most people (non-felons included) "cannot be trusted to support justice rather than support whatever serves them best"?
          Indeed.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Because they don't all have the same time limitations.
            Which don't have the same, besides the one being discussed now?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              People are not static and their attitudes can change throughout time.
              Not really the state's problem.

Both George W. Bush and Dick Cheney had DUIs earlier in their lives but both significantly reformed their behavior.
              The United States... nay, the world has benefited greatly from their wise leadership.

Comment

Which don't have the same, besides the one being discussed now?
                Sex offenders can have limitations on, say, interacting with children. I've also seen people who couldn't be friends without getting in trouble being ordered by the judge to stop having contact with each other.

Comment

Sex offenders can have limitations on, say, interacting with children. I've also seen people who couldn't be friends without getting in trouble being ordered by the judge to stop having contact with each other.
                  Well, that explodes my argument.

Comment

Would you be okay with convicted felons, including those with multiple convictions for committing violent acts, being allowed to own and carry firearms after they "paid their debt"?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Would you be okay with convicted felons, including those with multiple convictions for committing violent acts, being allowed to own and carry firearms after they "paid their debt"?
                      Thanks for further exploding my argument

Yeah, I withdraw it and have changed my mind.

Comment

What's the worst case scenario if felons were given back their right to vote after their sentence?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                          What's the worst case scenario if felons were given back their right to vote after their sentence?
                          More liberals in power.

Comment

More liberals in power.
                            And realistically, we know this is the main issue.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Eric Holder is talking about restoring voting rights to convicted felons.

I don't like Eric Holder one tiny bit, but I don't necessarily believe that convicted felons should never again be allowed to vote, particularly for non-violent crimes.

Do you believe the commission of a felony should FOREVER cause you to lose your right to vote?
                              Generally speaking, I am in favor of restoring voting rights to a felon who has served their time (prison and probation). There are certain classes of felony (vote fraud especially) where I would be more hesitant.

I would be interested in hearing your objections to Mr. Holder, but that is probably better suited to another thread.

Comment

I think anyone who voted for Obama should have their voting rights taken away for life.

Comment