Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So Now The Term Anchor Baby If Offensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    So, it seems you agree with me that CS Mann's commentary on Mark is virtually useless in comparison with that of my friend, Joel Marcus. Glad to hear it!
    Useless as teats on a boar hog!

(I guess )
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      It might be worthwhile for those resurrecting the Know-Nothing Party to describe the historic pattern and laws of immigration to America and define, in real terms, what form of "legal immigrants" they actually accept.

Because it sure doesn't look like the problem these folks have is with the simple legality of immigration but rather with the type of people immigrating. And that's a pretty transparent veil to hide behind. The folks washing up at Ellis Island back in the day weren't your H1B-visa types.

It'd be wrong to argue that the American Ideal is espoused fully on that plaque under the Statue of Liberty: the Know-Nothings have always been with us and nativism (ironically) runs as deep as inclusivism. But it's helpful to see where that line gets drawn and who ends up on either side of it.
      Typical liberal. Play the race card as often as possible.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Useless as teats on a boar hog!

(I guess )
        Good man!
        אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Typical liberal. Play the race card as often as possible.
          I never mentioned race. For those who know their history, I was referring back to a time when the USA saw an influx of primarily Irish and German immigrants. The people who came through Ellis Island after 1892 came from just about anywhere.

Don't go getting all Freudian here.
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
            It might be worthwhile for those resurrecting the Know-Nothing Party to describe the historic pattern and laws of immigration to America and define, in real terms, what form of "legal immigrants" they actually accept.

Because it sure doesn't look like the problem these folks have is with the simple legality of immigration but rather with the type of people immigrating. And that's a pretty transparent veil to hide behind. The folks washing up at Ellis Island back in the day weren't your H1B-visa types.

It'd be wrong to argue that the American Ideal is espoused fully on that plaque under the Statue of Liberty: the Know-Nothings have always been with us and nativism (ironically) runs as deep as inclusivism. But it's helpful to see where that line gets drawn and who ends up on either side of it.
            So you have no point and just want to pontificate

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              So you have no point and just want to pontificate
              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

So what you're saying is, you know nothing about the know-nothings.

Often, when someone tells you that the words you're using are offensive, what they really mean is that you're talking like an unmitigated jerk, but they would rather be seen as pretentious than rude. Kinda wish they'd have the guts to come right out and say it, though with Donald Trump I'm pretty sure the "unmitigated jerk" part can be assumed by all parties.
                Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment