Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Disproportinate Number of Blacks in the Military?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disproportinate Number of Blacks in the Military?

While pushing the Iran Nuke deal, Al Sharpton is calling for black pastors to push from the pulpit
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Okay, I admit I want to disagree just because it is Sharpton but he has a valid point. War is hazardous to your health, especially if you are in the military. I see the merit in making danged sure your child isn't sent to a war zone because some politicians can't be bothered with diplomacy.

In terms of the impact an engagement could have on the black community because of the proportion of their kids in the military, assuming Sharpton knows what he's talking about, yes, it's a legitimate issue for them. In terms of the massive benefits military service brings when not engaged it's nonsense. There's a fine line between expecting benefit without cost and balancing cost and benefit. Sharpton will probably find a way to go to the ridiculous extreme but as stated in the OP I think it's a legitimate issue.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Okay, I admit I want to disagree just because it is Sharpton but he has a valid point. War is hazardous to your health, especially if you are in the military. I see the merit in making danged sure your child isn't sent to a war zone because some politicians can't be bothered with diplomacy.

In terms of the impact an engagement could have on the black community because of the proportion of their kids in the military, assuming Sharpton knows what he's talking about, yes, it's a legitimate issue for them.
      No problem with that....

In terms of the massive benefits military service brings when not engaged it's nonsense. There's a fine line between expecting benefit without cost and balancing cost and benefit.
      And I guess that's what came to mind. I remember when Desert Storm deployments began hitting Fort Hood up the road from me, they interviewed a black female soldier who was doing her best to fight her deployment, saying "I signed up for the college benefits, I didn't sign up to go to a (blanking) war!" It's like she never considered that a possibility.

Sharpton will probably find a way to go to the ridiculous extreme but as stated in the OP I think it's a legitimate issue.
      Thanks
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Sure thing, I admit I had to think about it. Sharpton rubs me the wrong way so I tend to take what he says in the worst way which annoys me even more when I have to back uo and reconsider anything I might comment on.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Sure thing, I admit I had to think about it. Sharpton rubs me the wrong way so I tend to take what he says in the worst way which annoys me even more when I have to back uo and reconsider anything I might comment on.
          Yeah, and he's not calling for endorsing a candidate, or working against one - it's about policy or position, which is fair game even for us conservatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Al Sharpton is right on the data. However, when you look at casualties whites take more than their % of the population while blacks take fewer. Considering most of the military consists of non-combatants, it would be more useful to look at the ethnic make-up of troops deployed into combat heavy war zones, but I doubt data that precise is easily available.

This study claims the disparity is probably a product of different career aspirations:

http://www.demographic-research.org/...l23/2/23-2.pdf

The overall higher odds of mortality among non-metropolitan troops might be
            explained by race or ethnicity. Research has demonstrated race differences in military
            mortality; African Americans have lower mortality relative to whites (Gifford 2009; see
            also Binkin 1993 and Binkin et al. 1982). The race difference is attributed to variation
            in career intentions among military personnel. African Americans tend to volunteer for
            the military with the intention to pursue a career in the military whereas white
            volunteers are less career-focused. Career intentions make an impact on mortality
            through combat exposure; career-focused military personnel (such as officers) are less
            likely to be exposed to combat and, therefore, have a lower risk of mortality.
            The race differences in career focus and accompanying combat exposure might
            contribute to non-metropolitan/metropolitan differences since race groups are not
            evenly distributed across metropolitan and non-metropolitan areas. For example, in
            2000, the African American population was largely concentrated in metropolitan areas
            (90% versus 74% of whites). The uneven distribution of race groups and the military
            mortality risks associated with race might underlie the differences in the odds of
            mortality between metropolitan and non-metropolitan troops. African American
            personnel have lower mortality and the African American population is less represented
            in non-metropolitan areas; therefore, the higher risk race group (white) is
            disproportionately represented among the non-metropolitan areas.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Interesting, DE, thanks.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Interesting, DE, thanks.
                yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  One of the factors is the historical lack of economic equal opportunity for Blacks in the business world as a whole has led to higher proportion of Blacks volunteering the military.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    One of the factors is the historical lack of economic equal opportunity for Blacks in the business world as a whole has led to higher proportion of Blacks volunteering the military.
                    The key there is "volunteer" - nobody forces them to join the military. And much of the "historical lack of economic equal opportunity" is a result of not staying in school.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      Nice to see what you really think of those of us in the military.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

First Sharpton, now Shuny?! I am not happy with you right now .

Shuny's point is valid although he takes it farther than he should. Poverty does indeed result in a large number of volunteers who would not have volunteered had they had other options of similar benefit.

So what? I can think of dozens of employers for which the same is true. Poverty not race is the causal factor. But since the tangible and intangible benefits of military service provide means out of poverty and the volunteer gives informed consent service is a good thing.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                          Nice to see what you really think of those of us in the military.
                          What's your thought on the disproportionate amount of blacks in the military?
                          sigpic

Comment