Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Charleston shooter's manifesto apparently discovered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charleston shooter's manifesto apparently discovered

(lilpixieofterror is not allowed to post in this thread. At all.)

In Rogue's thread about the shooting, I posted the following statement:

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
    In this incident, I think it's undeniable that the killer was, in fact, motivated by some form of racial hatred. I'm interested in the question of how. That is, how did the killer come to hold those ideas? How was he allowed to continue holding those ideas--were too few people aware of his thoughts? Did those who were aware do nothing to discourage him from them? Worse, did they somehow actively encourage him? How might the steps that led to this man becoming such a killer have been stopped or even prevented altogether?
    One thing I'd neglected to ask was what exactly those ideas were. I knew the reports indicated that he had racist thoughts, but I knew little beyond that. Since then, a manifesto that reportedly belongs to the shooter has emerged. The website from which it was discovered is now defunct, but the text has been preserved:

(I will admit that the last line amused me.)

Thoughts on his thoughts?
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

directed by Martin Scorsese?
    To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

There are those who hold to the opinion that the people who go on these mass shootings should, to the greatest extent possible, have their motives, indeed, their very names, kept out of our public consciousness. These shooters do what they do because they want mass media attention for themselves and whatever deranged fantasy they've invented about the world, so, if we don't want to give them exactly what they want, we shouldn't give them any more attention than we have to.

Personally, I'm sympathetic to that opinion.
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
        Thoughts on his thoughts?
        Entirely predictable. I know because I predicted it back when the Zimmerman case was in full steam.

The manifesto itself (I only read those 4 pages) is fairly clear and coherent. There are some minor writing errors, about what I'd expect from an amateur writer who didn't bother with editing.

Anyway, it's a pretty short story:

Smart naive kid with no guidance because he's surrounded by dumb trashy people discovers leftists are slimy evil scumballs who fed him a heavily distorted view of reality all his life
        Smart naive kid takes to the Internet for research
        Smart naive kid is suddenly exposed to a high concentration of disturbing material that in a sane world he would have been exposed to over a much longer period of time
        Smart naive kid's brain cannot process high concentration of disturbing material, concludes he's in an immediate existential crisis and acts accordingly. Hilarity does not ensue.

You could probably build a Jack Chick comic around the whole thing.

Incidentally, I just read a very interesting article on why people commit violence:
        http://aeon.co/magazine/philosophy/p...des-demand-it/

The article goes on to explain that people will engage in violence to fulfill moral duty even when they find the violence itself distasteful.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
          There are those who hold to the opinion that the people who go on these mass shootings should, to the greatest extent possible, have their motives, indeed, their very names, kept out of our public consciousness. These shooters do what they do because they want mass media attention for themselves and whatever deranged fantasy they've invented about the world, so, if we don't want to give them exactly what they want, we shouldn't give them any more attention than we have to.

Personally, I'm sympathetic to that opinion.
          I'm not. The manifesto and its various points should be discussed in detail. In fact make it mandatory for the current crop of candidates of both parties to write a 20 page essay analyzing the manifesto and its merits in excruciating detail. The material is a mixture of truth, exaggeration, lies and insanity, and this kid's metamorphosis was directly triggered by the American left destroying an innocent man after being unable to get the state to do it for them. Discussing it is paramount to the broader discussion about race, violence, and the destructive effects of progressive social policy.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            I'm not. The manifesto and its various points should be discussed in detail. In fact make it mandatory for the current crop of candidates of both parties to write a 20 page essay analyzing the manifesto and its merits in excruciating detail. The material is a mixture of truth, exaggeration, lies and insanity, and this kid's metamorphosis was directly triggered by the American left destroying an innocent man after being unable to get the state to do it for them. Discussing it is paramount to the broader discussion about race, violence, and the destructive effects of progressive social policy.
            Do I detect a little inter-nutter sympathy?

Comment

G
              "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
              "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
              Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

He's a racist, he's wrong, nuff said.

Comment

Is there more proof that this is indeed his?
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

It is a strange world when Darth is the one with whom I agree the most.

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                    Is there more proof that this is indeed his?
                    Before the website went defunct, some news sources managed to save pictures from it, which seem to be of him.

Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      I sympathize with you even though nobody else likes you. Does that count?

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        No doubt about it!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          No doubt about it!
                          Weren't you one of the people loudly arguing that Zimmerman should have been thrown in jail despite virtually all the evidence being in his favor? Would you like to apologize for all this death?

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            Weren't you one of the people loudly arguing that Zimmerman should have been thrown in jail despite virtually all the evidence being in his favor? Would you like to apologize for all this death?
                            Which evidence was that? You mean the fact that he followed a 17 yr old black kid (when he was asked not to by the police) who was walking home from the store until he cornered him in an alley and shot him to death him for defendeing himself.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Which evidence was that? You mean the fact that he followed a 17 yr old black kid (when he was asked not to by the police) who was walking home from the store until he cornered him in an alley and shot him to death him for defendeing himself.

Comment