Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is there such a thing as a fair advantage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't read through most of this thread, so forgive me if someone has already mentioned this. Does anyone here think that environment has much to do with anything? The sport that most black people enjoy playing is basketball. When I was living in "the hood" that was pretty much the only sport we played. It would make sense that if you have been playing the sport most of your life, you would amass a great skill for it. So naturally blacks would be picked up for basketball more than any others. Just a thought.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Originally posted by fm93 View Post
      So you won't correct/rebuke your spiritual brethren when they're clearly in the wrong?
      Umm....the correct word is "sistron," and you don't rebuke them so much as redirect them from any situations where they might make a mess.

But that also conflicts with Sparko's assumption that many of those athletes tend to be poor but succeed primarily because of some vague racial gene.
      Whatever the genotype, traditionally most people who do organize effectively tend to prefer some level of phenotypic uniformity, especially if the people in that phenotype tend more often than not to have the genes that enable success in that particular field. Everyone needs people in their social circle with as many commonalities as possible in order to make effective judgments upon themselves, of course.

Comment

But that also conflicts with Sparko's assumption that many of those athletes tend to be poor but succeed primarily because of some vague racial gene.
        it's not vague, it has been studied. To be honest I thought it was common knowledge that there was a genetic difference in this regards. It's used all the time to show that Adolf Hitler was wrong about his assumptions of white Aryans being superior.

Comment

So you won't correct/rebuke your spiritual brethren when they're clearly in the wrong?

huh? I have said all along that the reason there are more blacks in sports like basketball is that they tend to be better at it than most whites. I think it is due to genetics. One such cause could be because during the years of slavery in this country, owners would breed slaves to try to get the strongest stock possible. Perhaps they succeeded and what we see today is the result? Or it could be that Africans had a much rougher life in Africa than Europeans did, and so the weaker were weeded out. They didn't have good health care, were at war with other tribes, had to live in harsh conditions and attacks by animals. Who knows?

I am not saying all blacks are "supermen" like Sam wanted to claim I was, just that it sure seems like a larger percentage of blacks turn into great athletes than whites. Of course there are good white athletes too, and other races, like Yao Ming the Chinese basketball player who is the biggest player in the sport, despite Chinese people usually being on the short side.

I don't think financial class has anything to do with it. That was Sam and his "social stratification"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
            I haven't read through most of this thread, so forgive me if someone has already mentioned this. Does anyone here think that environment has much to do with anything? The sport that most black people enjoy playing is basketball. When I was living in "the hood" that was pretty much the only sport we played. It would make sense that if you have been playing the sport most of your life, you would amass a great skill for it. So naturally blacks would be picked up for basketball more than any others. Just a thought.
            Maybe. Except that in the same types of inner-city neighborhoods, it is usually the only sport that whites play too. Heck, while I was growing up in the burbs and in the country every kid on the block had a hoop attached to his house, or was near a park with a basketball court. So it would still end up with more whites being in basketball, just because of the population numbers. We would also play baseball and football if we had an empty field, but we usually had a pretty good racial mix there too.

Comment

I'm nearly certain that Cow Poke is pulling your leg here. He does that sometimes.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                huh? I have said all along that the reason there are more blacks in sports like basketball is that they tend to be better at it than most whites. I think it is due to genetics. One such cause could be because during the years of slavery in this country, owners would breed slaves to try to get the strongest stock possible. Perhaps they succeeded and what we see today is the result? Or it could be that Africans had a much rougher life in Africa than Europeans did, and so the weaker were weeded out. They didn't have good health care, were at war with other tribes, had to live in harsh conditions and attacks by animals. Who knows?

I am not saying all blacks are "supermen" like Sam wanted to claim I was, just that it sure seems like a larger percentage of blacks turn into great athletes than whites. Of course there are good white athletes too, and other races, like Yao Ming the Chinese basketball player who is the biggest player in the sport, despite Chinese people usually being on the short side.

I don't think financial class has anything to do with it. That was Sam and his "social stratification"
                Am I correct when I say that the majority of weightlifters are white?

I might be wrong but I thought the genetic difference was that of bone weight. Blacks tend to have a lighter bone structure which helps with running but whites get a slight advantage when it comes to strength positions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
                  Am I correct when I say that the majority of weightlifters are white?

I might be wrong but I thought the genetic difference was that of bone weight. Blacks tend to have a lighter bone structure which helps with running but whites get a slight advantage when it comes to strength positions.
                  This reminds me of a video I watched the other day of a black dude who deadlifted 1100 pounds. The guy made it look easy.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Weightlifting isn't a sport. It's a beauty pageant for dudes.

I never said that all sports were dominated by blacks. But it is more than financial class that leads to a majority of black athletes in sports like basketball and football.

Comment

Weightlifting isn't a sport. It's a beauty pageant for dudes.
                      That would be bodybuilding not weightlifting.

Last edited by rogue06; 05-13-2015, 09:50 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I never said that all sports were dominated by blacks. But it is more than financial class that leads to a majority of black athletes in sports like basketball and football.
                        Yes I know that you weren't making those claims. I just wanted to clarify if what I said was correct or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          That would be bodybuilding not weightlifting.

Exactly. This guy that deadlifted over 1100 pounds had a noticeable gut.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            I'm nearly certain that Cow Poke is pulling your leg here. He does that sometimes.
                            Especially when I stop taking my opponent seriously.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

As a matter of fact, we had that NFL article earlier showing that certain positions in football are dominated by blacks, and others are dominated by whites. This is obviously not because of some social society org chart, but because certain people perform better in certain roles, and the NFL would be really dumb to assign them playing positions otherwise.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
                                Yes I know that you weren't making those claims. I just wanted to clarify if what I said was correct or not.
                                Yes.

Comment