Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More From The Bigoted Left!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
    not too bad, as long as its not the slavery of America (the Atlantic Slave Trade)

I'm a slave, granted, conditions are better than during Biblical times, (probably because of modern conveniences to help with tasks) , and I don't have to wait 50 years to be freed from my masters (Visa, MasterCard, Sears, the Hospital), since I can file bankruptcy, but its still servitude. We can haggle over the details , but its still voluntary slavery, (I voluntarily agreed to be owned by Sears when I used their card to buy a washer and dryer which I would not otherwise have been able to acquire, Visa paid for my TV and now they own me , and MasterCard paid for this computer (or was it visa for the computer and mastercard for the TV, hmmm, not sure, since I have been sold from one credit card company to another time and again)
    Delusions of illusions of self justification. This is not slavery. The sarcasm needle just pegged in the ridiculous.

. . . or sometimes I call the limping dog act in the dog and pony show.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      [checks] No, I'm not.

Also, either you think South Carolina was not a Southern state, or you deliberately ignored my second example in order to raise a spurious objection.

Roy
      You quoted DC as southern, I don't see what South Carolina has to do with the post I'm quoting. And yeah, you are.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Delusions of illusions of self justification. This is not slavery. The sarcasm needle just pegged in the ridiculous.

. . . or sometimes I call the limping dog act in the dog and pony show.
        I take it you've never heard George Bernard Shaw's quip "now we're just haggling over the price"

.....or, maybe it was Winston Chuchill,

....or maybe it was about Churchill ?

who knows, but here it goes

"At a dinner party Churchill says to his dinner companion, "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?"

The woman responds, "My goodness, Mr. Churchill. I suppose I would."

Churchill replies, "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?"

She answers, "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?"

Churchill answers, "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price."

(copy pasted from Washington Post Jennifer Rubin)

same thing.

now we're just haggling over the details and duties of the servitude and length of time ,

....but it certainly wasn't FOREVER like in America.
        To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

I take it you've never heard George Bernard Shaw's quip "now we're just haggling over the price"

.....or, maybe it was Winston Chuchill,

....or maybe it was about Churchill ?

who knows, but here it goes

"At a dinner party Churchill says to his dinner companion, "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?"

The woman responds, "My goodness, Mr. Churchill. I suppose I would."

Churchill replies, "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?"

She answers, "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?"

Churchill answers, "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price."

(copy pasted from Washington Post Jennifer Rubin)

same thing.

now we're just haggling over the details and duties of the servitude and length of time ,

....but it certainly wasn't FOREVER like in America.
          slavery is slavery past or present in ancient Israel or the South or wherever. The Old Testament Laws clearly defined slavery to own foreigners (ie prisoners of war or purchased at slave markets), where they were property and could be bought and sold, and indentured servitude for Hebrews where they worked off the indenture to be eventually free. Slaves owned by Hebrews or in the South of the USA, of course, may be freed, but there is nothing in the OT that says slaves cannot be owned for generations.

Actually a form of slavery existed in the South well into the 20th century as penal peonage, where blacks were commonly imprisoned for a life of hard labor for minor offenses, and used to build railroads, industry, coal mines in private industry.

Human nature has not changed and slavery in the South could not be considered different then slavery anywhere else including ancient Israel.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-13-2015, 04:46 PM.

Comment

slavery is slavery past or present ancient Israel or the South or wherever. The Old Testament Laws clearly defined slavery to won foreigners, where they were property to bought and sold, and indentured servitude for Hebrews where they worked off the indenture to be eventually free.

Human nature has not changed and slavery in the South could not be considered different then slavery anywhere else including ancient Israel.
            in ancient Israel it was servitude, in America it was permanent Slavery, even their children were born as slaves in America as Roy pointed out

sorry, Bible hater, but there is a BIG difference.
            To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

in ancient Israel it was servitude, in America it was permanent Slavery, even their children were born as slaves in America as Roy pointed out
              Slavery of foreigners in the OT:

Note highlighted, Hebrews treated differently as indentured servents.

Leviticus 25:44-46: "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly." (NIV)

Indentured servitude among Hebrews:

Exodus 21:1-4: "If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing. If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself."

Exodus 21:20-21 "And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished. Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money [property]."

bullet Deuteronomy 15:12-18: "And if thy brother, an Hebrew man, or an Hebrew woman, be sold unto thee, and serve thee six years; then in the seventh year thou shalt let him go free from thee.And when thou sendest him out free from thee, thou shalt not let him go away empty: Thou shalt furnish him liberally out of thy flock, and out of thy floor, and out of thy winepress: of that wherewith the LORD thy God hath blessed thee thou shalt give unto him."
              bullet Exodus 21:7: "And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do."

sorry, Bible hater, but there is a BIG difference.

Comment

Slavery of foreigners in the OT:

Note highlighted, Hebrews treated differently as indentured servents.

Leviticus 25:44-46: "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly." (NIV)

Exodus 21:1-4: "If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing. If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself."

Exodus 21:20-21 "And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished. Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money [property]."

bullet Deuteronomy 15:12-18: "And if thy brother, an Hebrew man, or an Hebrew woman, be sold unto thee, and serve thee six years; then in the seventh year thou shalt let him go free from thee.And when thou sendest him out free from thee, thou shalt not let him go away empty: Thou shalt furnish him liberally out of thy flock, and out of thy floor, and out of thy winepress: of that wherewith the LORD thy God hath blessed thee thou shalt give unto him."
                bullet Exodus 21:7: "And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do."

in your haste to condemn the Bible in this discussion, you overlooked the context.

In POST 43 I clearly included the qualifier "Did Bible-God order the American Christians to enslave the Africans? I don't remember reading that anywhere."

Were the American "Christians" informed by a Mose-type prophet in a Sinai type setting that it was ok to buy 'Heathen' from Africa?

I don't have any Scripture for that.

Comment

in your haste to condemn the Bible in this discussion, you overlooked the context.

In POST 43 I clearly included the qualifier "Did Bible-God order the American Christians to enslave the Africans? I don't remember reading that anywhere."

Were the American "Christians" informed by a Mose-type prophet in a Sinai type setting that it was ok to buy 'Heathen' from Africa?

I don't have any Scripture for that.
                  I condemned nothing, nor over looked the context. I responded to your statement here bolded.

This scripture referenced was used both to justify slavery and indentured servitude in the west and including the South.

Originally posted by jordanriver

Slavery of foreigners in the OT
                  :

Note highlighted, Hebrews treated differently as indentured servants.

Hebrew slavery of foreigners

Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-13-2015, 09:32 PM.

Comment

I condemned nothing, nor over looked the context. I responded to your statement here bolded.

This scripture referenced was used both to justify slavery and indentured servitude in the west and including the South.

Note highlighted, Hebrews treated differently as indentured servants.

Hebrew slavery of foreigners

the HEATHEN about the Israelites were Canaanites (Phoenicians), what was wrong with enslaving them?

...or killing them for that matter?

What did the innocent bystander Africans have to do with Yahweh's BIBLICAL wrath against the Canaanites
                    Last edited by jordanriver; 04-13-2015, 10:20 PM.

Comment