Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Indiana's governor signs bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Yup, that sounds good. So then the question is whether the founders' expression of those ideals, which retained contradictions such as slavery and class discrimination, are more or less perfect than modern expressions of those ideals.
    I wouldn't say "perfect", but more "American".
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      I wouldn't say "perfect", but more "American".
      "More in line with America's history," perhaps. An ideal is just that - it can be more perfect or less perfect but, as an ideal, it can't split into a multitude of different meanings. When we say "North Korea is less free than America," we're holding both countries up to an ideal whose perfect state exists outside either. Otherwise, North Korea can simply fire back, "North Korea is more free in the North Korean sense than is America." The word becomes meaningless.

So if we acknowledge that the ideal of freedom is more perfect with the abolition of slavery than without, we're stating that the foundational American ideal of freedom is made more perfect by abolishing slavery.
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        But true freedom for all would include (among other things) not being forced to do work. The inconsistency seems rather glaring to me.

Comment

So if we acknowledge that the ideal of freedom is more perfect with the abolition of slavery than without, we're stating that the foundational American ideal of freedom is made more perfect by abolishing slavery.
          Yet you would turn around and force one man to serve another man under the threat of law.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I've clearly articulated what context I'm conveying and even offered you an alternative term if you prefer. That context (or concept) is what's important. If you're just trying to "win" by demanding a narrow definition without supporting reason, it's hard to take that argument seriously.

I've defined the term as it's used in this debate; if you believe a different term should be used instead, offer it up and I'll probably use it. At some point, though, you need to move a bit past the bare semantics and focus on the idea that the words are conveying in the given context.

Gavagai.

You realize you are proving my initial comment on you as valid? You loved to question others and demand "citations" yet refuse to give any yourself, and start playing games to avoid providing evidence for your position, like your "definition game"

But hey I think you are a very nice fella. But in this instance I define "nice" to mean a complete jackass.
            Last edited by Sparko; 04-29-2015, 08:34 AM.

Comment

"More in line with America's history," perhaps.
              And that's the point I was making.

An ideal is just that - it can be more perfect or less perfect but, as an ideal, it can't split into a multitude of different meanings. When we say "North Korea is less free than America," we're holding both countries up to an ideal whose perfect state exists outside either. Otherwise, North Korea can simply fire back, "North Korea is more free in the North Korean sense than is America." The word becomes meaningless.
              As Paprika said, there are bound to be contradictions. Is a country more or less free by forcing someone to serve someone else against their will?

Why? Because forced servitude is naturally less free, right?
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You realize you are proving my initial comment on you as valid? You loved to question others and demand "citations" yet refuse to give any yourself, and start playing games to avoid providing evidence for your position, like your "definition game"

But hey I think you are a very nice fella. But in this instance I define "nice" to mean a complete jackass.
                You accused me of demanding citations for points of fact while refusing to provide citations for my own points of fact. You supported this accusation by referring to a discussion where I provided a citation for a point of fact. Somehow, you're able to still believe that this proves your point.

Explaining how I'm using a word or phrase and offering to change that phrase to something that you find more fitting is not playing a game. It's called defining one's terms in context. If you think that's jackassery, you're wasting your time on a debate forum.
                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Yet you would turn around and force one man to serve another man under the threat of law.
                  Yes. Because that "force" of anti-discrimination law allows for a more perfect freedom than the discrimination it prohibits.

Comment

You accused me of demanding citations for points of fact while refusing to provide citations for my own points of fact. You supported this accusation by referring to a discussion where I provided a citation for a point of fact. Somehow, you're able to still believe that this proves your point.

Explaining how I'm using a word or phrase and offering to change that phrase to something that you find more fitting is not playing a game. It's called defining one's terms in context. If you think that's jackassery, you're wasting your time on a debate forum.
                    I am pretty sure most people in this thread think you are acting like a jackass, Sam. Wanna start a poll?

If I make a claim that the law says one thing and give a citation to a "legal opinion" instead of the law, then I am not giving evidence of my claim, am I? That is what you did. And then, even when that was pointed out to you and I pointed out that your argument about commissioned works shows that you should agree that caterers should not have to make gay wedding cakes, you then change the definition of "commissioned"

You are just one artful dodger, aren't you? Like trying to nail smoke to the wall.

Comment

Yes. Because that "force" of anti-discrimination law allows for a more perfect freedom than the discrimination it prohibits.
                      so now government enforced slavery is more perfect freedom? Wow, you and your definitions.

Comment

I am pretty sure most people in this thread think you are acting like a jackass, Sam. Wanna start a poll?

If I make a claim that the law says one thing and give a citation to a "legal opinion" instead of the law, then I am not giving evidence of my claim, am I? That is what you did. And then, even when that was pointed out to you and I pointed out that your argument about commissioned works shows that you should agree that caterers should not have to make gay wedding cakes, you then change the definition of "commissioned"

You are just one artful dodger, aren't you? Like trying to nail smoke to the wall.

A "legal opinion" is different than a court ruling. Citing a supreme court ruling as precedent is perfectly valid, just as you might cite Citizens United when claiming that "money is protected speech." This isn't even a serious rebuttal on your part.

I have maintained a consistent definition for the term I'm using and have explained how I'm using the term repeatedly. If you're confused or unhappy with the word being used, I've offered to change it to something you find more fitting, as I understand that words have multiple meanings in different contexts (again, read some Quine here). That's not a dodge, since the idea I'm conveying is staying the same. You are simply, again, demanding that a word must mean one thing and only one thing and that the context surrounding that word is irrelevant to determining its meaning.

Again, gavagai.

If you want to debate the idea, you are free to suggest an alternate term that conveys the same idea I'm putting forward. I've already offered one, if you don't feel like doing the mental labor. If you just want to dig your heels into the ground by demanding that we use the word "commissioned" while completely divorcing it from the context I used when introducing that word, well ... then you're just wasting both our times.

I'd be interested to see the results of that poll.

Comment

so now government enforced slavery is more perfect freedom? Wow, you and your definitions.
                          In one case, the government is saying "If you decide to open a business to the public, you'll have to serve the public equally."

In the other case, society is saying "If you happen to be gay or black or Jewish and you want to shop at this store, sleep at this hotel, or get a job at that factory, you're out of luck."

The first case is rational condition for being a public accommodation and it places a small degree of the owner's lost freedom to discrimination below the freedom of many others to fully participate in societal function. The second case places maximal freedom of the owner above everyone else and is not the result of any particular choice the victims of the owner's discrimination made.

"Government enforced slavery" is just sound and fury, signifying nothing in this case. It's useful to spout because it sounds strong but is devoid of meaningful content.

Comment

In one case, the government is saying "If you decide to open a business to the public, you'll have to serve the public equally."

In the other case, society is saying "If you happen to be gay or black or Jewish and you want to shop at this store, sleep at this hotel, or get a job at that factory, you're out of luck."

The first case is rational condition for being a public accommodation and it places a small degree of the owner's lost freedom to discrimination below the freedom of many others to fully participate in societal function. The second case places maximal freedom of the owner above everyone else and is not the result of any particular choice the victims of the owner's discrimination made.

"Government enforced slavery" is just sound and fury, signifying nothing in this case. It's useful to spout because it sounds strong but is devoid of meaningful content.
                            So you admit that some freedom is lost when the definition of equality is changed. Inclusiveness goes up, freedom goes down.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

A "legal opinion" is different than a court ruling. Citing a supreme court ruling as precedent is perfectly valid, just as you might cite Citizens United when claiming that "money is protected speech." This isn't even a serious rebuttal on your part.

I have maintained a consistent definition for the term I'm using and have explained how I'm using the term repeatedly. If you're confused or unhappy with the word being used, I've offered to change it to something you find more fitting, as I understand that words have multiple meanings in different contexts (again, read some Quine here). That's not a dodge, since the idea I'm conveying is staying the same. You are simply, again, demanding that a word must mean one thing and only one thing and that the context surrounding that word is irrelevant to determining its meaning.

Again, gavagai.

If you want to debate the idea, you are free to suggest an alternate term that conveys the same idea I'm putting forward. I've already offered one, if you don't feel like doing the mental labor. If you just want to dig your heels into the ground by demanding that we use the word "commissioned" while completely divorcing it from the context I used when introducing that word, well ... then you're just wasting both our times.

I'd be interested to see the results of that poll.
                              I am not going to go around in circles here, Sam. I said what I mean and so far you have just confirmed it. So yes, at this point we are just wasting our time.

If you want the poll, start one. I am pretty sure the only people who think you are not a jackass are your fellow liberals, and non-christians at that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                                So you admit that some freedom is lost when the definition of equality is changed. Inclusiveness goes up, freedom goes down.
                                Some freedom is lost while more freedom is gained. Freedom, on net, goes up.

Comment