Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Impending Minimum Wage hike causing restaurants to close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    When you cap the income from the top, and at the bottom, guess who gets shivved?
    Cap the income at the top? Is there a wage floor for executives?
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      The money has to come from somewhere, Sam. In the case of McDonalds, or many of the franchises that pay minimum wage based salaries, the franchisee is, in effect, "middle management", and has a tight budget with which to work. Labor is one of the few controllable costs in such a business, so it's either cut the hours of current employees, cut the number of employees, or dig into his/her own pocket. (or some combination of the three)

Where do YOU suppose that money would come from?
      fundraising-1.jpg

Take all you want, we'll print more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
        Cap the income at the top? Is there a wage floor for executives?
        You were one of the onese arguing that the top executives were making too much profit and it should be taken from them. That is capping their income.

Comment

The money has to come from somewhere, Sam. In the case of McDonalds, or many of the franchises that pay minimum wage based salaries, the franchisee is, in effect, "middle management", and has a tight budget with which to work. Labor is one of the few controllable costs in such a business, so it's either cut the hours of current employees, cut the number of employees, or dig into his/her own pocket. (or some combination of the three)

Where do YOU suppose that money would come from?

>The money has to come from somewhere
          >This is somewhere
          >The money has to come from here

We've already examined how executive pay has exploded since the minimum wage was, in real dollars, higher than today. I've noted how shareholder returns and stock buybacks have taken a greater percentage than in the past. And it's been noted that increasing wages at the lower income brackets creates higher demand for goods and services. So I would suppose that the money could come from reduced compensation at the top, as well as a dash of that "dynamic scoring" Conservatives are so gung-ho about.
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

>The money has to come from somewhere
            >This is somewhere
            >The money has to come from here

We've already examined how executive pay has exploded since the minimum wage was, in real dollars, higher than today. I've noted how shareholder returns and stock buybacks have taken a greater percentage than in the past. And it's been noted that increasing wages at the lower income brackets creates higher demand for goods and services. So I would suppose that the money could come from reduced compensation at the top, as well as a dash of that "dynamic scoring" Conservatives are so gung-ho about.
            Yeah, let's see you make that happen.

You really don't live in the real world, Sam.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You were one of the onese arguing that the top executives were making too much profit and it should be taken from them. That is capping their income.
              Right. So why then, if minimum wage increases are being taken from top-income profits, do we also have to soak the middle management?

Comment

Right. So why then, if minimum wage increases are being taken from top-income profits, do we also have to soak the middle management?
                Did you (or anyone else, I don't feel like going through the 10 pages or so that have gone up since I last saw this thread) ever explain how you plan to magically distribute management overpay (which is a small fraction of total worker pay) in such a meaningful way that it'll positively impact the workers' salary?
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Because it's unrealistic to cap the top - how do you propose that happens?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, let's see you make that happen.

You really don't live in the real world, Sam.
                    Actually, this was the real world back when you were growin' up. That we've moved so far astray from it says something about the generation that came into power back in the late 70s, early 80s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      Did you (or anyone else, I don't feel like going through the 10 pages or so that have gone up since I last saw this thread) ever explain how you plan to magically distribute management overpay (which is a small fraction of total worker pay) in such a meaningful way that it'll positively impact the workers' salary?

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        Higher income taxes and/or wealth taxes.

Comment

• I just keep noticing how the liberals here are not volunteering to put up their own money to solve the problem.

For example, if Jordanriver thinks a tip will solve the problem, why doesn't he/she take money from his/her paycheck and tip the employees that he/she supervises to make sure they are making a decent wage?

Of course Sam probably doesn't have a job so I guess he is off the hook.

Comment

Actually, this was the real world back when you were growin' up.
                            I ain't never growed up, so you don't know what you're talking about.

And who was it that capped their salaries, Sam?

Comment

Higher income taxes and/or wealth taxes.
                              thus capping the high end. Bye Bye middle management.

Comment

I just keep noticing how the liberals here are not volunteering to put up their own money to solve the problem.
                                That ain't happenin! They are addicted to OPM major bigtime!

For example, if Jordanriver thinks a tip will solve the problem, why doesn't he/she take money from his/her paycheck and tip the employees that he/she supervises to make sure they are making a decent wage?
                                Cause the object isn't to SOLVE the problem - the object is to FEEL GOOD about WANTING the problem solved - and with OPM.

Of course Sam probably doesn't have a job so I guess he is off the hook.
                                He's a professional Googler!

Comment