Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Social Justice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I didn't make this clear, but I meant to say that there are forms of social justice that God wants to see; but they may have little to nothing to do with how people actually use the term today. But that's their fault, not God's.
    Ah, ok.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      AFAICT, "social justice" as it's practiced today is not actually about justice at all.
      'Justice' covers a lot of concepts, including things like fairness and equity. In common parlance, justice most often seems to be used as a placeholder for 'how I think the world should work'. Social justice is about justice, just not necessarily about what you consider just.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

It talks about corrupt court systems (verses 10 and 15), oppression of the poor through excessive taxation while the wealthy live in "stone mansions"... these are all social issues.
        You're misreading it. It says nothing about the wealthy living in stone mansions. Rather it says that those who profited off the poor will build the mansions but not live in them. In other words, God's judgment will make sure the don't profit from their acts.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
          Social justice is about justice, just not necessarily about what you consider just.

But isn't justice a relative concept? For instance I had a rather long discussion with some Occupy folks a couple of years back. They wanted burger flippers to get paid $20 an hour and a top tax rate of 90%. That was just according to them.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            But isn't justice a relative concept? For instance I had a rather long discussion with some Occupy folks a couple of years back. They wanted burger flippers to get paid $20 an hour and a top tax rate of 90%. That was just according to them.
            The term is misused all the time (and that's a good example) but that doesn't mean there's no such thing as justice altogether.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yes, justice is a relative concept. The ideas it revolves around are the same, but what form it takes can vary widely. I'll keep sticking with Wikipedia links until something deeper is needed, but it's worthwhile to read through the page on Justice to get some idea of the different views on the subject.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

The term is misused all the time (and that's a good example) but that doesn't mean there's no such thing as justice altogether.

Ok, I think we all believe in basic justice. But this social justice goes way beyond that. At least from what I have seen. You think that those college kids I was speaking to misused the term but this is exactly what social justice is to them.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

It talks about corrupt court systems (verses 10 and 15), oppression of the poor through excessive taxation while the wealthy live in "stone mansions"... these are all social issues. Not the ones that liberals today focus on the most, but social issues nonetheless.
                  I think Seer is referring to "Social Justice" as the term is used today, and I honestly don't think that's addressed by the verses in Amos.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I think Seer is referring to "Social Justice" as the term is used today, and I honestly don't think that's addressed by the verses in Amos.
                    I definitely don't think it is either. I don't think I made that clear though.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Ok, I think we all believe in basic justice. But this social justice goes way beyond that. At least from what I have seen. You think that those college kids I was speaking to misused the term but this is exactly what social justice is to them.
                      I think that "social justice" is an attempt to justify "fairness" ---- rich people should give "their fair share", etc. "Fairness" is a much more 'relative term' than justice is.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I definitely don't think it is either. I don't think I made that clear though.

How bout taking another shot at it. How does Amos relate to "social justice" as the term is used today?

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                          Yes, justice is a relative concept. The ideas it revolves around are the same, but what form it takes can vary widely. I'll keep sticking with Wikipedia links until something deeper is needed, but it's worthwhile to read through the page on Justice to get some idea of the different views on the subject.
                          From what I have read, seen, it often boils down to the mere wealth redistribution. That somehow Joe down the street had a right to my hard earned money.

Comment

How bout taking another shot at it. How does Amos relate to "social justice" as the term is used today?
                            I think it shows us that God does care about treating people fairly (with the emphasis on not overburdening poor people with taxes) and about corruption in courts. There's another verse somewhere where it says God loves honest measures and scales. This doesn't really play into the political games everybody is playing because I think most people on both sides of the political spectrum agree at the very least on these basic principles.

Comment

From what I have read, seen, it often boils down to the mere wealth redistribution. That somehow Joe down the street had a right to my hard earned money.

I think it centers around (or depends upon) redistribution of wealth. Obama frequently refers to it when he uses the word "fair".

The question is - fair to whom?

Comment

I think it shows us that God does care about treating people fairly (with the emphasis on not overburdening poor people with taxes) and about corruption in courts. There's another verse somewhere where it says God loves honest measures and scales. This doesn't really play into the political games everybody is playing because I think most people on both sides of the political spectrum agree at the very least on these basic principles.
                                But we get back to "what's fair"? If I have 3 cars, and a neighbor down the street has none, should it be "fair" that I have to give one of mine to him? Who determines what's "fair"?

Comment