Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Social Justice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Those Christians who decry the Jubilee as economic suicide: How do you account for the fact that it nonetheless is in the Bible?
    *crickets*

Comment

• Perhaps God didn't think it through. Luckily, folks here could point out the idea's flaws.

Comment

Those Christians who decry the Jubilee as economic suicide: How do you account for the fact that it nonetheless is in the Bible?
        And who here has decried it as "economic suicide"? Your post has a strong hint of burnt straw.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
          Then you're not paying the least attention because Jubilee explicitly is about "forcibly taking from those who have earned, without compensation, and indiscriminately giving to those who have not earned."
          Not at all. A person who hired a slave for a period of time, or received back land that had been worked, or loaned money to another could expect a return on his investment. Yes, Old Testament law would periodically wipe out debts, but the borrower was still expected to pay back as much as he could until the next "reset". In fact, the Bible explicitly condemns not paying back your debts. Proverbs 37:21, "The wicked borrows but does not pay back."
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            And who here has decried it as "economic suicide"? Your post has a strong hint of burnt straw.
            A number of users have. I stand by everything I've said; I'm tired of the tendency around here to falsely label any post someone doesn't like as a strawman. There have been extensive posts about the negative economic effects that would result from debt forgiveness programs. Nobody outright used the word "suicide" but the general point/sentiment was equivalent.
            Last edited by KingsGambit; 02-07-2015, 10:44 AM.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Not at all. A person who hired a slave for a period of time, or received back land that had been worked, or loaned money to another could expect a return on his investment. Yes, Old Testament law would periodically wipe out debts, but the borrower was still expected to pay back as much as he could until the next "reset".
              Where in Scripture do you get this? This is not a cancellation of debt, but merely an extension of the time allotted for repayment.

In fact, the Bible explicitly condemns not paying back your debts. Proverbs 37:21, "The wicked borrows but does not pay back."
              But if the debts are cancelled, they do not exist and hence need not be paid back; the loan become a gift.

Proverbs 37:21, "The wicked borrows but does not pay back, but the righteous is generous and gives."

Comment

• Eh, just a minor quibble, but it's actually Psalms 37:21, not Proverbs 37:21 (which does not even exist). Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Comment

• Last Sunday, Cath and I visited a Sunday school class where we were the youngest people in the class by several decades. They were going through the denomination quarterlies, and there was a lesson specifically on social justice. The scripture was Micah 3, and we had a good discussion on good leadership and justice that did not go into controversial political things. I don't think the discussion would have upset anybody here, is what I'm saying.

The quarterly argued that Micah 3:10 is evidence that the kingdom, which was economically prosperous at the time, was prospering at the expense of the poor. That does look like social justice to me... as does the whole chapter, really. This does not require the liberal extremes that are frequently pointed out on this forum.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Last Sunday, Cath and I visited a Sunday school class where we were the youngest people in the class by several decades. They were going through the denomination quarterlies, and there was a lesson specifically on social justice. The scripture was Micah 3, and we had a good discussion on good leadership and justice that did not go into controversial political things. I don't think the discussion would have upset anybody here, is what I'm saying.

The quarterly argued that Micah 3:10 is evidence that the kingdom, which was economically prosperous at the time, was prospering at the expense of the poor. That does look like social justice to me... as does the whole chapter, really. This does not require the liberal extremes that are frequently pointed out on this forum.
                    It says nothing about rich or poor. But it does refer to "rulers" vs the ruled. Seems like it's talking about regular justice. The specific examples given are corrupt leaders accepting bribes. Judges serving special interests and their own interests instead of doing justice.

As for the metaphors (e.g. eating the peoples' flesh, and building Zion with bloodshed), I don't know if that is meant to include more than the listed examples. Oppressive taxation?

Comment