Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

It's Confirmed, Men Are Pigs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I walked down the street today and 4 people actually said "Hi" to me. I hate being harassed for being a fat white guy.
    I know how it feels. I have to beat the women off when I'm in public... It's a curse...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I walked down the street today and 4 people actually said "Hi" to me. I hate being harassed for being a fat white guy.

Yes, some of those comments were crude and harassing to the woman, but many were just greetings. I wonder about the guy who was walking beside her for 5 minutes. Was he trying to harass her, or maybe just wanted to walk beside her because he thought she was in a bad neighborhood and wanted to give her a little protection? He started out saying "Hello, God Bless you, have a good day alright?"

Kinda hard to read minds.
      Maybe he just wanted to be on camera. Look at how many folks like to photobomb pictures

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Maybe he just wanted to be on camera. Look at how many folks like to photobomb pictures
        Yes, unsolicited compliments are street harassment" is a good read.
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          Vox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
            From that article:

That doesn't seem to follow. If I, a guy, offer a different greeting to other guys than I offer to women, I don't see why that makes the other greeting harassment.

FWIW, I've never done anything like what's in the video.

Edit: It's like holding a door open for someone. I try to hold the door open for ladies because I was taught that it's a sign of respect. It frankly kind of weirds me out when a guy holds a door open for me, but it's not harassment. I just shrug inwardly and say thanks.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              FWIW, I've never done anything like what's in the video.
              I greet people all the time. I work on an Army post and I am retired USAF, so greetings come naturally. I thank people, hold doors for people, wave people through intersections before me, and wish them a nice day. No harassment is involved.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                I greet people all the time. I work on an Army post and I am retired USAF, so greetings come naturally. I thank people, hold doors for people, wave people through intersections before me, and wish them a nice day. No harassment is involved.
                I just meant that I'm naturally an introvert, so I don't interact well with people I don't know. Just my personality.

Edit: I'm awkward.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

When I was a young'un I held the door open for two women. One glared at me and called me a male chauvinist. I had no idea what it meant.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I get quite irritated when men don't hold a door open for me.

So I harass them by saying, "Thanks!" anyway as I open the door immediately after they have gone through it.

And I regularly open doors for others, even young people, and am irritated that I rarely get a thank you.

If some guy wants to wolf whistle at me on the street, I would probably blush and giggle with glee.

Any other kind of whistle and The Pin™ comes out!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

When I was a young'un I held the door open for two women. One glared at me and called me a male chauvinist. I had no idea what it meant.
                      They had doors back then??
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

They had doors back then??
                        "doors"=giant round rocks
                        "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                        "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                        Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Just FYI , I know in a lot of places greetings are common. In NYC, that number of greetings and comments would take a man a lifetime to reach. It's not friendliness, it's cat calling.

Comment

Oh please! While there were some comments that were ridiculous, over half were nothing more than a "hello" of some variety. Calling that harassment is insulting to those times where she ACTUALLY got harassed. The very first one "How you doing today" was met with her rude silence. Not even an acknowledgement on her part that she was spoken to.
                            It's only harassment if the girl doesn't like the guy.
                            "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                            "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                            Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                              It's only harassment if the girl doesn't like the guy.
                              Nope. It is harassment if the woman doesn't like the guy. It is flirting if she does.

Finally learning something from your elders I see.

Comment

So they filmed 10 hours of video yet they only had 10 minutes of possible harassment and 108 "catcalls". Considering how large New York is, and that she passed by thousands of other men that didn't say anything to her. The video had been blown out of proportion.

We are missing a lot of context about the men in the video. Do any of them have any mental illness, are they panhandlers, or where they street vendors. Even the guy that followed her. Was he actually following her of was he just going the same way? When did they interact and when did he leave? What part of town was she in when the majority of the catcalls occurred? Was it a poor neighborhood, or a place were a lot of bars are? That would effect what kind of men would be around in the area. Were their any women who greeted or complimented her appearance? Are these men likely to say hello other people.

It doesn't help that some of what they are labeling as harassment are simple "hello" and "good evening." How is that unwanted harassment?
                                Some have said that even the men saying hello were harassing her because it was an unsolicited interaction. however isn't it kind of sexist to assume that every guy that said hello in the video had a sexual intent. The video is edited in a way that it is hard to figure out who is speaking and what their intent was.

I am not trying to justify sexual harassment in public nor saying that catcalls are okay. Yes the guys following her was unsettling and the catcalls were unacceptable. I have had men follow me (even after I said I wasn't interested) and it was creepy. I don't like men hollering at me at of their car or asking me for my number. However this video is too short and takes to wide of a view of harassment to the point of of the video becomes a joke.

Comment