Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

It's Confirmed, Men Are Pigs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Confirmed, Men Are Pigs!

Oh the horror! Maybe Burqas are not such a bad idea!

Shoshana Roberts decided to undertake a little experiment last August, walking silently in a crewneck T-shirt and jeans for 10 hours through the streets of New York City. She was harassed 108 times by her count with men yelling everything from “hey beautiful” to “damn.” One guy walked alongside her, matching her pace, for five minutes.

Her walk was captured on a hidden camera by a videographer from Hollaback, an anti-street harassment advocacy group, and edited down to the two-minute clip posted here.
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle...rOP/story.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

You're just realizing this now?

Comment

So, speaking to someone on the street you find attractive is harassment?
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Of course it is. Anytime someone else initiates a conversation it is harassment. If you wanted to talk to them you would have initiated the conversation. Duh.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

non-contact unwanted sexual experience including street harassment

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            You're just realizing this now?
            It's funny, when I see a woman on the street I usually tip my hat - I suppose that would be considered harassment too - or at least sexist...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              There is a difference between speaking on the street and unwarranted "complements" borne out of impulse. It is regrettable that in many ways, the distinctions have become marred, but given the prevalence of such harassment (Here in Guatemala it is a HUGE problem), it is best to just simply remain mum and mind one's business, girls and women do not merit such sensations of insecurity.

I am of the inclination of "Shut the Hell Up" school of thought when it comes to men encountering women in public spaces. It irks me to no end whenever I see boys (They do not merit the rank of men) whistling and yelling complements to female bypassers.
              Last edited by Andius; 10-30-2014, 01:04 PM.
              Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
              As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Yes, cat-calling is harassment. It creates a feeling of vulnerability among many victims, it necessarily objectifies them and definitely causes many women to act in ways that they otherwise wouldn't to avoid confrontation.

Virtually none of what's shown in this video is acceptable. It's very diminishing and often enough outright threatening.

"I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  Of course it is. Anytime someone else initiates a conversation it is harassment. If you wanted to talk to them you would have initiated the conversation. Duh.
                  Nope. It is harassment if the woman doesn't like the guy. It is flirting if she does.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

On a side related note, to actually accomplish an accumulated 10 hour walk in the span of a day, oy, that's actually pretty intense in terms of physical effort.

And a testament to New York City's relative safety, I am somewhat surprised that camera was not robbed in a span of 10 hours.
                    Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
                    As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                      Yes, cat-calling is harassment. It creates a feeling of vulnerability among many victims, it necessarily objectifies them and definitely causes many women to act in ways that they otherwise wouldn't to avoid confrontation.

Virtually none of what's shown in this video is acceptable. It's very diminishing and often enough outright threatening.

Oh please! While there were some comments that were ridiculous, over half were nothing more than a "hello" of some variety. Calling that harassment is insulting to those times where she ACTUALLY got harassed. The very first one "How you doing today" was met with her rude silence. Not even an acknowledgement on her part that she was spoken to.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I walked down the street today and 4 people actually said "Hi" to me. I hate being harassed for being a fat white guy.

Yes, some of those comments were crude and harassing to the woman, but many were just greetings. I wonder about the guy who was walking beside her for 5 minutes. Was he trying to harass her, or maybe just wanted to walk beside her because he thought she was in a bad neighborhood and wanted to give her a little protection? He started out saying "Hello, God Bless you, have a good day alright?"

Kinda hard to read minds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            I walked down the street today and 4 people actually said "Hi" to me. I hate being harassed for being a fat white guy.
                            Preach it brotha!!
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              They wanted your rum, you silly!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment